Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 09:34:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

67 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cantina Band Member - mail away special from 1997  (Read 1081 times)

buzo

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
Cantina Band Member - mail away special from 1997
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:45:37 PM »

Just received a cantina band member action figure that I purchased from ebay.  I saw the listing and thought it was a cool figure, but I failed to do my research before buying (my bad).  I must confess I'm kind of disappointed.  I knew about the silliness of including all band instruments with the figure, so that if you wanted to build up the band, you'd end up with a bunch of instruments you don't really need.  Whatever, that didn't bother me too much.  What I didn't know (and probably most of you do) is that the figure has two major flaws:

1) can't stay standing and keeps falling off (I guess I got the drunk band member);
2) no matter how you arrange his hands, none of the instruments would fit as musical instruments.

I mean, if you're an action figure and you can't stand and you can't properly hold any of your accessories, well, then you suck.

I'll keep it around for a few days, but I think I may just sell it at a loss...

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Re: Cantina Band Member - mail away special from 1997
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:13:28 PM »

Try using a heat gun or a hair dryer to soften the plastic of the legs/feet and then repose the legs so that they will stand more sturdily once the plastic hardens again.

You can also try that for the hands to reshape them a bit so they'll hold the instruments better too. It's worked for me time and again when I've had figures that won't stand due to warping.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »

I have the same version of that figure and I find it surprising that your having problems with it's balance.  Despite limitations on positioning of the legs due to no articulation at the knees or ankles I am still able to find a strong balance for the figure, but only with the right foot stepping forward and the left foot stepping slightly back and the torso plum.  There are LOTS of other figures that I've tried to position standing that have had alot more difficulities than this particular figure.  Perhaps your sample is just a 'lemon' or it's been exposed to extreme heat or improper storage that allowed the legs to get mishapen.  Are the hip joints tight?  I can't help with the instrument part of the question, I have the bag of six instruments somewhere but this figure has been displayed without an instrument along side the 5 pack of cantina members that came in the tin during the TAC series.  Those packs can still be picked up off ebay for about thirty bucks if your interested in expanding the band.  They are the same basic figure but have been re-painted and the plastic coat/cloak was replaced with a soft-goods version.  I never ended up taking the elastic bands of the intruments in their hands so they haven't been dropped once. :winking0071:
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

buzo

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 03:09:58 PM »

Try using a heat gun or a hair dryer to soften the plastic of the legs/feet and then repose the legs so that they will stand more sturdily once the plastic hardens again.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I'll bother (I just got a Cantina Band Commemorative Tin collection set).

I'll throw it on ebay for what I paid and hopefully someone else is interested (although I won't get the shipping back).

Cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170165
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 87
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 67
Total: 69

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 38 queries.