Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 05:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

46 Guests, 4 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Star Wars Dark Horse comic  (Read 2210 times)

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
The Star Wars Dark Horse comic
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »

Not sure if I'm in the right spot or not, but today is the release day of Dark Horses's adaptation of "The Star Wars".  The original treatment from 1974 that Lucas first wrote about a young Jedi named Annikin Skywalker and General Luke Starkiller.  I called a couple of shops as soon as I got off work, but they've sold out already.

Just wondered if anyone picked this up or not.  I haven't bought a SW comic since the last issue of the Marvel series and I'm hoping to grab this one.  I think it's a 6 part run.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: The Star Wars Dark Horse comic
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »

There was an associated press release about the series, which likely prompted a few "non regular" buyers to stop by and grab the first issue. Talk to your store owner & see if they can reorder first issue from Diamond, I would imagine there are still lots available.  :u:

SciFiEric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:17 PM »

I checked, its 8 parts. Im looking forward to reading it.  :artoo:

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:02:14 AM »

Very intrigued by this. I don't buy single issues of comics anymore, with the Hama continuation of GI Joe the only exception. I plan to pick this up in TPB format when it comes out next year.

And yeah, this is getting multiple covers and printings, so it will be available at a comic shop at some time. But if you want a first printing, any time there's an issue like this that has mass media publicity, it's best to reserve a copy at a comic shop ahead of time. It wouldn't surprise me if many shops were sold out before their order hit the stand.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:56:44 AM »

Now I'm on the fence.  Try and track down a first issue or wait for an all in one issue....

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »

Now I'm on the fence.  Try and track down a first issue or wait for an all in one issue....
Haha, yeah, that's a big question with buying comics these days. Depends on what you want it for. I've given up on single issues for a few reasons. One is storage, they add up. What is the real advantage to the singles vs a TPB? One could be displayability I suppose, but am I going to display it? Nope. Second, would be the collectability of it. Is it gonna be "worth anything"? The market for back issues has basically fallen off, with a few exceptions. So there's no real advantage for me to buy singles. And my primary purpose for buying a comic is reading it. I really just want to be able to read it and perhaps re-read or reference it from time to time. If it meets that test, I will by the TPB. Otherwise I skip it entirely. I've got way too many single issue comics (and I was never a big comic guy) that I will likely never ever re-read. I'll be dumping them on kijiji or something when I get through all my other crap I need to get rid of!!  :) I'll keep my Hama Joe comics and Marvel SW comics because I do from time to time pull out the old issues and look through them even though I have them all in TPB as well. The originals have the letters column and the ads which add to their charm. But they're the exception. I guess you just have to decide why you're buying it.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:00:53 PM »

The reason for buying singles is to have the story when it's current - if you don't have a real burn on to read it right now, wait for the trade paperback (collected edition). I'm in comic shops fairly frequently as it is, so I wound up buying issue #1 because I want to read it now. I'll likely wind up trying to sell the full set if it turns out to be "worth anything" in the short term - which is unlikely as stated above. The odds of a modern comic actually accruing any sort of real value is slim to none - or even none to none.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:42 PM »

I found a place in Aurora that had a few copies left (just the regular cover.  Apparently there are 3 or 4 different versions that are a 1 in 5, 1 in 20 etc.) and I bought 2.  One to read, and let the kids read, and one that I'm going to keep as a collectable.  If this had been an ongoing series, I probably would have passed and waited for the compendiums to come out and just rent them from the library (did this with the Walking Dead), but since it's only 8 issues, I'm going to grab them all.

The story is such a conglomeration of bits and pieces of most of the saga and it's only the first issue!!  Confusing and cool at the same time. :)`
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169108
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 46
Total: 50

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 38 queries.