Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 19, 2018, 04:57:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

59 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels Inquisitor Action Figure Revealed  (Read 1985 times)

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
Star Wars Rebels Inquisitor Action Figure Revealed
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:02:01 PM »

So, what's everyone think?

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-rebels-inquisitor-action-figure-reveal.html

My first impression is it looks kinda prequel-ish to me. Moreso than McQuarrie-ish, which is interesting considering the inspiration the series is supposed to have. Maybe it's the animated style, which I associate with the Clone Wars. The face doesn't look as angular as some of the CW stuff though, which is good.

Anyway, for me it will be a pass. As intrigued and hopeful as I am about Rebels, I am going to be very selective with the figures I get from this line. Guaranteed I'll pick up a couple to mess with, heck, it's Star Wars! But I don't see myself really collecting the line as much as picking one up here and there. The 5 POA that folks seem upset about don't bother me. As a toy I think it looks great. They won't fit in with my OT collection, so, as I said a pass for me in most cases, but I am curious to see some other figures. Stormtroopers might look cool.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Rebels Inquisitor Action Figure Revealed
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 01:41:17 AM »

Could be a character from a Japanese Anime show as easily as Star Wars. The look isn't anything special, hopefully he's interesting on screen.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:35:39 AM »

We kinda knew what to expect about the Rebels figures line after the comments made at the last NY Toy Con. Rebels figures will only feature 5 points of articulations. And so be it, there's our proof, if we ever needed a formal one at this point.

The sculpt is ok, but I mean, it's no big deal to get a good sculpt when you don't really have to strive for articulations. The hell, for me, this is simple nonesense and crpapy arguments ("we sacrificed the articulations to offer the best possible sculpt": common Hasbro, you gave us marvels of both sculpt and articulation in the recent past, so simply say you needed to reduce the figure costs/price point to get back in the game, it's goona be believable arguments).

Anyway, that being said, I'm still unsure what to do with the Rebels line. I mean, I haven't seen the show, haven't seen the figures. I jumped in the Clone Wars line at the time they were released to the market, but only their style was different, the figures were quite okay articulation-wise so I never felt like I was buying crappy stuff, at least not before the final few waves came out with sacrificed articulations. But this time it's completely different: knowing that Rebels figures will only carry 5POA pretty much set up the deal from the start. So if I jump in the line, I can't argue on their quality, I have to accept "my fate". And going back to collecting 5POA figures? I can't resolve myself doing that. At least the basic Black Series figures line is stuill aimed at collectors. But buying stuff directly aimed for kids seems nonesense for me now.

That and the fact that this Sith Inquisitor is pretty much a twin brother of the "Son of Mortis" from the Clone Wars storyline. Still can't see why we needed another Sith character in the Star Wars prequel universe. I mean, Darth Vader is there, then use it. Even in the shadows, barely appearing in the show, it would have been way sufficient to terrorise the newborn Rebel Alliance. Anyway...  ::)

"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02:11 PM »

At first mention I was hoping this was going to be about the OT characters leading up to ANH, but it seems further & further from that as we get closer. Sad.  :(

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:49:10 PM »

The sculpt is ok, but I mean, it's no big deal to get a good sculpt when you don't really have to strive for articulations. The hell, for me, this is simple nonesense and crpapy arguments ("we sacrificed the articulations to offer the best possible sculpt": common Hasbro, you gave us marvels of both sculpt and articulation in the recent past, so simply say you needed to reduce the figure costs/price point to get back in the game, it's goona be believable arguments).
I'm pretty sure Hasbro has said the reduced articulation is a cost cutting measure, they're not hiding that. It's what is reducing the price of the figures as well, like the current non-black series (Legends?, I can never remember). I actually think their reasoning is pretty sound. If they're marketing them to kids, then they should be durable kids toys. 5 POA is probably enough, especially given that kids these days seem to move on from action figures at a pretty young age. It will be interesting to see what age level the cartoon is aimed at. I found Clone Wars to be a bit confused as to its target audience. Some pretty violent and dark themes, mixed with some pretty immature humour. Plus you had "kids" (not collectors) toys for a show with dark violent themes. A confused mix to be sure. You can have a kids show with a different level that adults can appreciate, but you need the right mix. It will be interesting to see if Rebels can do a better job of that than CW did.

I am hopeful for Rebels, and the same with the sequels, but my hardcore collecting of SW (or anything for that matter) is starting to come to a close. Just can't get everything, and there is seemingly no end in sight, so I have to draw the line somewhere.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 01:55:25 PM »

I'm not upset at the 5POA either.  This is a kids show, aiming to sell kids on action figures, not collectors. Hasbro did say that a chief complaint among the kids for the CW line was that the SA figures were too fragile due to their high articulation and this would solve it.

I'm fairly certain that any character from Rebels that becomes in-demand by we adults, will eventually be made in full SA as part of the basic line (be it TVC2, Black, or whatever it will be called), just as some of the CW characters were for TVC.

The Kenner-style 5POA does have some appeal to me for obvious nostalgia reasons (I grabbed some of the Saga Legends during the $4 Target sale, that's about what I think they're worth and the only pricepoint at which I would pick up a few). I'm skeptical whether I'll be buying any of the Rebels line though.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »

Good point you make, Nap. I don't think there's anything wrong with the 5 POA figures either, PROVIDED they're available (at least periodically via sales) at a very fair price. 5 POA wouldn't dissuade me from buying a figure of a character I really wanted, not even remotely (5 POA Tonnika sister or Torryn Farr? I'm up early & lined up outside WalMart ready to go elbow to elbow with the Hot Wheels collectors).  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »

Well thankfully Torryn Farr is coming in the next wave in her full-SA goodness :-)  I'm not super-happy they just reused Hoth Leia's legs (since those legs were spread apart for a wide stance, that doesn't make it ideal for Farr to be sitting) but at least they made her.

The 5POA has its uses; I do enjoy the fact that most of them will actually SIT nicely in my old Kenner vehicles. And I'm hoping they will release an eps2 Anakin and Obi-Wan in this style because those may be the only figures that can squeeze into the AotC Saga Coruscant Speeder!  I've yet to see an existing Anakin or Obi figure fit in there without risk of serious leg warping, but these 5POA figs have narrower stances and are somewhat smaller in scale than the basic line figures.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

SciFiEric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »

I like it. I was worried it was going to be too "cartoony".  Then I wouldn't buy it and go crazy as I'm an obsessive/compulsive completest when it comes to star wars!   :speechless-smiley-004: (And end up buying it anyways!)  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:36:21 PM by SciFiEric »

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 12:33:52 PM »

This line is not in my collecting future, simply because I don't care for any of the animated stuff.

Marasame

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 04:54:50 PM »

I started out collecting every Sit/Dark Jedi figure I could get my hands on, so I pretty much have to buy this.  I'm a little worried about how the final product will look, sure it looks slick now, but he's supposed to be Pau'an (with the vertical "wrinkles" on his face) so he may end up not looking so good.

Hellboy

• Administrator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »

The lack of articulation is disappointing but I have no problem with the look of the figure. I collected the line of Clone Wars and these look just as good. I'm looking forward to the show.
My beef about 5-points of articulation is that the figures never stand on their own. They'd better be including pegged stands. For me the most important articulation point(s) are the ankles. Forget the knees and elbows if you must but the ankles are essential.
Every true Star Wars fan is a Luke Skywalker, looking at his twisted, evil father, and somehow seeing good.

Trust me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169371
  • Total Topics: 14374
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 59
Total: 59

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 38 queries.