Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 01:34:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

66 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early look at 5POA Snowtrooper and Maul  (Read 1056 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Early look at 5POA Snowtrooper and Maul
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:35:36 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/andrewstoyz?_fb_noscript=1

Hmmm, can't say I like either of these two figures.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Early look at 5POA Snowtrooper and Maul
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:37:50 PM »

Looks very similar to the very first TPM Maul in terms of stance. The eyes on the snowy don't look quite right.  :speechless-smiley-004:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:03:16 AM »

Yeah, I was kind of warming up to the 5POA idea, but for some reason this snow trooper makes me think of the previous releases and how inferior they seem now. Maybe there will be just be some figures that don't translate well into the reduced articulation form for whatever reason. Or this is simply a not so great sculpt that could simply just be better. Still there is something about it that reminds me of something I already bought and no longer really appreciate.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:01:10 PM by sinkie »

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »

Hmm, I think the Snowtrooper looks alright. For what it is, it looks in line with the other 5 POA figures. Maul looks kinda chunky, but I suppose that's just the nature of the outfit. Can't do much different in this style.

It will be interesting to see how well these 5 POA figures do. Right now nothing SW seems to be moving at my local stores. If these do well enough I have a suspicion that the 5 POA might become the new standard for the new movies, just like the cartoon.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:01:53 PM »

I fear that they're starting to tread too close to the "junk" line with these, to the point where folks are just going to bypass them at first glance compared to the other figures. 5 POA doesn't have to mean junk, but combined with the packaging these are going to look pretty cheap.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »

The Maul I wasn't going to buy anyway since he's the kind of character that needs SA to work, but I had higher hopes for the Snowtrooper given that the Stormtrooper is actually pretty decent.  There's just something off about the sculpt... maybe the head's too long or something. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I find the vintage 5POA Kenner snowtrooper to definitely be better than this upcoming version.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 06:04:32 PM »

There's just something off about the sculpt... maybe the head's too long or something. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I find the vintage 5POA Kenner snowtrooper to definitely be better than this upcoming version.

I think that the problem with the picture of the loose figure is that it is that alot of the definition is missing in the helmet because it's all white-washed without enough contrast.  The helmet and facemask appear to be one single piece and not two seperate ones.  I don't mean that they would physically come apart on this or any other version of 3 3/4" figure, but that in reality they were seperate from one another.  The carded example seems to show more of a vertical 'lip' to the helmet along the cheeks but that doesn't show as well on the loose picture.  It seems more like a kkk mask with out the pointed tip rather than a snowtrooper lid.  The top of the helmet seems too small proportionatly to the rest of the head.  I also agree that the kenner 5 POA version of the trooper is better.

The biggest problem with ALL of the 5 POA figures is that it is a de-evolution of the action figure.  When we grew up with our 5 POA star wars figures we loved them for what they were because that was all that we had.  But who here can't say that they more impressed with the increased playability of their super-articulated GI Joe vintage figures?  Once Hasbro took the star wars line up to the super-articulated standard of the TVC line there is no going back.  Looking at the picture for the new villian for the Rebels line all I could think about was how useless his cool looking double lightsaber is.  The only two ways you can pose him with it is either hand at the waist with the two ends stick out front to back, or with his hand out in front of him at shoulder height with the blades pointing up and down.  How is he supposed to look menacing or kill any rebels with that?  Even if your going to skimp out on elbow articulation at least give him ONE arm with ONE wrist that can swivel, but obviously this is now too much to ask.  Imagine if Sony came out and said that it was no longer cost efficient to produce PS4 level games so they were going back to the PS1 format.  Would the gaming community accept that and keep buying the games?  I'm not a gamer so I wouldn't know for sure but I would guess probably not.
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169117
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 69
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 66
Total: 67

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 38 queries.