Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 17, 2018, 11:42:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So how much does Hasbro pay Lucasfilm?  (Read 732 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
So how much does Hasbro pay Lucasfilm?
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:20:52 AM »

This is from an interview on a Star TREK toy site that I came across which I thought revealed something interesting:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/11/galoob-25-the-first-generation-of-tng-toys-part-iii/

We were such a small company, and it would have been a massive risk to bet everything on the Trek line – if we lost the bet, we would have suffered greatly. That’s why the line wasn't so extensive at launch, and why we didn't have a real show of force that would have told the world we were confident and committed to the Star Trek brand.

Bob DiGiacomo: The other issue may have been the royalty costs. For licensed items, royalties can be very high; I think that the Star Trek license was somewhere around 10% - and they’d write the licenses so many different ways, and after a set period of time things would have to be renegotiated. I know that the Star Wars license was brutal – Galoob used to pay like a 17% royalty on that!

That is a whopping amount if Hasbro is paying even remotely close to 17% for the toy license as Galoob once did...

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: So how much does Hasbro pay Lucasfilm?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:42:53 AM »

I have no doubt they are. If it's lower, it would only be because of "brand loyalty" or whatever for carrying the license forever basically - if you include the old Kenner company which was absorbed by Hasbro.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »

Interesting article. I came across it a little while ago and meant to go back and read it but forgot about it. I don't know much about the math of such things but 17% does seem high.

Star Trek hasn't always had much luck in the action figure realm. Playmates was obviously a success, though I never liked the goofy look to those figures. The galoob line and the more recent movie line both failed. Plus the diamond/Art Asylum line was always a tenuous thing, never knowing when the plug would be pulled, always heavily relying on extensive re-uses of sculpts, etc. It did pretty well for a niche product I suppose, but never the widespread success of other lines.

Right now I'm wishing there would be a new quality Trek TV series. Been missing that recently as I've been really enjoying the Original Series and TNG Blu-Rays. Man they are sooo good.

Back to SW, it will be interesting to see if anything changes with the action figure licence in a few years with Disney at the helm. Did they recently re-up since Disney took over? I can't remember what the latest is with the action figure licence.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »

I think it was within the last year that Hasbro got their license extended for the foreseeable future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169336
  • Total Topics: 14359
  • Online Today: 100
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 57
Total: 58

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 39 queries.