Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 01:01:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

55 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mr. Canuck Is now President  (Read 848 times)

Canucktrooper

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
Mr. Canuck Is now President
« on: April 10, 2014, 02:51:04 AM »

To say that the Vancouver Canucks underperformed this year is an overstatement but given the rise of recent events, do you think the appointment of Trevor Linden as President is the right move or just a PR move? As a Canuck fan this is the best thing thats happened this year but a lot of work needs to be done to turn this team back to a cup contending team. Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:23:53 PM by Canucktrooper »

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Canuck Is now President
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 07:48:54 AM »

I hope that the Stanley Cup comes back to the country this year

Canucktrooper

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »

We'll see.  ;)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:26:27 PM »

I can't say for sure how Trevor Linden will do, but I can say that Mike Gillis was perhaps the worst GM of all time.  He makes Garth Snow look like a genius.  The way he handled the whole goalie situation was a prime example of his ineptitude.  To have two number one goalies quickly evaporate into Eddie Lack, one first round pick, and some extras is quite depressing.  Luckily for me, I am not a Canucks fan, but I feel really bad for those of you who are, as I fear the damage Gillis has done will take about 5-10 years to turn around.  Get used to being the next Edmonton Oilers...sorry, that's just what I think :sad0064:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »

It was a disastrous end to the tenure as GM for Mike Gillis, there can be no other way to put it. I do feel bad for everyone - fans to players - that the Luongo situation was allowed to fester & become the prime example of how quickly a great team can head off the rails if they don't look after the team as people first & players second. Disgraceful. Keeping all that in mind, it wasn't that long ago they were in the finals.... does Gillis get or deserve any credit for that? I don't know how much of that team he was responsible for building (if any).

All that being said, the jury is out on the hiring of Linden as is that of Brendan Shanahan by the Maple Leafs as their new president. I think the title itself is a bit mysterious - "President of Hockey Operations" can mean just about anything. They're not the GM or the coach... but they work in the front office... who's boss are they exactly? I'm not sure what Luc Robitaille does in LA, but I keep hearing him as the comparison person & apparently he DOES NOT meddle in the GM's business or the coach's (and look at what they accomplished a couple of years ago).

The fans will like having Linden back, at least until they can blame something on him... at which point they surely will. Just like they will blame Shanny in Toronto if next season goes sideways for them like this one did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170114
  • Total Topics: 14396
  • Online Today: 79
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 55
Total: 56

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.