Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 07:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

71 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eps 7 rumored title...  (Read 1304 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Eps 7 rumored title...
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:49:10 PM »

AicN is suggesting that the title will be "The Ancient Fear". Thoughts?  I'm not exactly thrilled by it...
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Eps 7 rumored title...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »

Suits me better than "Attack of the Clones" by a wide margin. Then again, "By a Wide Margin" would have been marginally better than "Attack of the Clones".....  :speechless-smiley-004:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:02:22 PM »

Honestly, it is the kind of title that makes me less confident about what is coming… I mean I know they are going to have to forego anything like "the Emperor still lives!" (he's not ancient, he's only been dead 30 years) or "there is another Skywalker relative who is a villain"…but ancient fear just has me thinking they are going to pull some sort of "long frozen most feared Sith warrior" thing. I don't know. I'm not saying I have a better idea but I just feel it won't be as epic as the OT with the whole family lineage thing. Unless that's the catch…this is an ancient frozen Skywalker relative???

"Luke (or Ben Skywalker) I am your great great great great great great great great grandfather's brother!"

"Noooooooooooo! That's not true, it's…ok wait, yeah maybe that's could be true. Would explain a few things actually."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:04:21 PM by sinkie »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 11:12:27 PM »

The Ancient Fear would simply mean the Sith to me. I don't think they're going to divert too far from the beaten path of the OT movies with these, there'll be a previously unknown Sith apprentice that has risen to prominence, likely the young dark haired fellow - and it will be up to Luke's new Jedi Order (likely the Solo girl and the black kid) to get going & deal with it.

jediburrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »

Or maybe this "ancient fear" is the one Luke had through ESB and ROTJ : falling to the Dark Side of the Force? Like his father before him, Luke may complete his path to the Dark Side, only to gain redemption at the end? or maybe this will be the faith of one of the Skywalker/Solo offspring (like his/her grandfather before him/her)?

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:20:42 AM »

Again, not that I KNOW what they mean by this but the images and story lines it conjures up don't inspire me with confidence. If it is indeed the Sith…well…not very ancient. The Sith have been causing problems for the galaxy for the last 30-40 years! Fall of the Republic anyone?

Just hope that whatever it is it is either unexpected (the threat isn't the Sith…something older than the Sith?) or something about the Sith we never knew perhaps.

I think what is interesting for me is that the more "real" this gets, the more I personally feel that this is a very tough job! Because in a way Lucas was right when he often said for him Star Wars was about the Skywalkers and more specifically Anakin/Luke. With ANH we didn't know much about this father/son connection, if it even existed in George's mind at the time but it still worked because it was new, fresh, and still had the "Vader killed your dad and you are like your dad" thing. Pretty strong story hook, gets you into the main characters shoes in a very powerful and sympathetic way. So what are they going to do to get us hooked that way to these characters if the threat is just this evil from the ancient past? Not saying it can't be done, just makes me realize yet again why SW works for me.

edit: Yeah, I like that interpretation jediburrick. It is kind of poetic, the ancient fear being that since time immemorial people have feared having what is good about them corrupted or especially seeing their children go down a dark path.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:44:15 AM by sinkie »

DroidWorld

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • My joints are frozen up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »

The titles to all these movies have always been silly. When I was 14, and first heard "The Empire Strikes Back", I thought it sounded childish. And don't get me started on "The Phantom Menace", the stupidest title of the lot IMO.

Even if "Ancient Fear" really is the title (Blue Harvest anyone?) it inspires the same tone any of the other titles has. 

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »

Yeah, ultimately the title isn't going to make or break the film. But I never thought the OT titles were bad. First, we never really had "A New Hope" as a title, only in the crawl…though it is to the point. The rebellion needs something to move them forward, Luke and company arrive on the scene. Empire Strikes Back? To the point, Deathstar is gone, they've been dealt a pretty big blow, they go hard at it trying to crush the rebellion and get Luke. Return of the Jedi…maybe the weakest yet still very much too the point: Luke will be a Jedi by the end of the film since he will face Vader and the Sith will be defeated.

Phantom Menace: ok, but not very "phantom" ultimately. The devil-faced guy pops out of the woodwork, has them all go "the Sith are back" and then the reason it is phantom? They don't investigate, they go "its a mystery!" and then walk away from it.

Attack of the Clones: not bad except the clones didn't really attack, not unless you're seeing this from the separatist standpoint. More like "birth of the clones" or even "the clone wars".

Revenge of the Sith: I guess so. Except the Jedi weren't really all that actively trying to destroy them or foil them. But ok, fine, they've held a grudge for a 1000 years and this is their revenge!

So "Ancient Fear" (if it isn't Blue Harvest 2.0) just doesn't feel like a to the point title. But I'm willing to admit I was wrong if it all makes sense when it hits the screens!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:01:47 PM by sinkie »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »

The Sith is an ancient order, at least in the EU it always was and I believe they at least followed that framework within the movies - passing down the torch from master to apprentice who knows how far back  into history. Having a previously-unknown apprentice secreted away someplace would seem quite Sith-like to me.

I'm intrigued by the general concept of Luke going to the Dark Side & them having to deal with that, though it would feel like doing down the same road we saw him take in 1983, without choosing to go that way. They did visit this in the comic series Dark Empire I believe, at least in part.

My strong preference for the OT characters would be to have them playing mentor to the next generation - Luke even more of a Yoda type than an Old Man Ben. Han & Leia should be parents of independent young adults, still living with Chewie of course - but they don't really need to take part in the adventure too much, just show up as familiar faces. R2 & 3PO continue on as normal - timeless.

I have lots of hopes, but I'm going to pretty much sequester myself away from these topics as development continues - I truly do not want to know anything about the stories themselves & will work as hard as I can to get into Ep VII spoiler free, like I did Ep III.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »

I agree, JJ - as much as I am craving info about the movies, the better part of me wants to know nothing and just enter that movie in December, 2015 with no pre-conceived ideas and just let myself be immersed in it. 

As to the title - I am pretty sure it is not going to be the title.  Do you remember all of the casting rumours - most of them were wrong.  A movie with this much secrecy, and Star Wars movies seem to have always had the name be a secret until late, when they had their big reveal.

Also, although in the EU the Sith are VERY ancient, even in the movies, they are at least 1000 years old.  The novelization of ROTS (which is considered canon) agrees with the known EU that the "Rule of Two" started with Darth Bane 1000 years before the movies.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 10:56:09 PM »

With most (all?) previous Star Wars films having had fake working titles during production, and with JJ Abrams known for high secrecy and misinformation, I am very much doubting that this is the title - or even has anything to do with the film.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 12:28:54 AM »

As someone pointed out to me (and it seems so obvious now…) Ancient Fear is the opposite of New Hope…so...

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 08:03:54 AM »

As someone pointed out to me (and it seems so obvious now…) Ancient Fear is the opposite of New Hope…so...
Ha, that's hilarious! And now I feel dumb for not cluing in.  :-[  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170170
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 89
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 71
Total: 73

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 39 queries.