Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 05:06:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

66 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: And the topic of the day is: Episode VII SPOILERS **NOW WITH EXTRA SPOILERS**  (Read 12030 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile

Good call on the post credits - that would have been a great place for a shortened version of the final scene, now that you mention it. I wonder if that was considered at any point. It seemed long to me as well, but I think I was really anticipating finally seeing Luke after 2hrs.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile

That's why it would have worked so much better as a post credit.  You know he's been missing, and you know he's in the film but we haven't seen him yet.  Credit roll and theatre gets dark, then boom, the MF comes out of hyperspace and pans across the screen to the reveal the planet.  Zooms across the water heading towards an island, lands.  Camera goes interior cockpit with Rey looking out.  Chewie says something and Rey looks at him and gets up.

Exterior, Rey, Chewie and R2 come down the ramp.  Look around and she says "I have to go alone".  Walking, walking, walking.  comes up behind robed figure.  Figure turns around, close up on Rey, Rey hold out lightsaber, force them music starts as on close up of robed figure as hands come up to pull back hood to reveal Obi-Luke, screen goes black.  insert mic drop now.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile

100 percent, would have been perfect. They must have mulled it over & decided to go with the post-ending ending instead - maybe they'll discuss in the commentaries. Hurry up, Bluray version.......

Artaban

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile

My second problem, and it's not really a problem, more an editing preference.  The last scene of arriving at the planet Rey has had visions of (Ren says this much when mind probing her, the vast ocean, the island) and walking up the mountain to reveal Luke should have been a post credit scene, and shorter.  Less walking up the hill, less holding the lightsaber out.  Even at 2 mins, that would have been a perfect bonus to those who stayed behind.

Agree, I would have loved to see that part after credits, but maybe they didn't want to take the risk considering that most people leave when the credits start rolling.

I saw it on December 17 and the room was full, but honestly, when the credits rolled most people left the theater.

That would have created a lot of comments like  "Why putting the coolest scene after the credits,man? It's not a Marvel movie!!!". I think most viewers would have miss that part, potentially giving more material to people bitching about the movie and motivating them to destroy everything in "Angry Kylo Ren" mode :rollfloorlaffsmiley: .

By the way, this guy is funny https://twitter.com/KyloR3n?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile

I finally got to see this movie with my kids tonight and we all loved it.  My one gripe, that's already been mentioned is the lack of grieving time given to Chewbacca.  I think Rey and Leia hugging when they got back was fine, but then Chewie should have come down the ramp and Leia turned and embraced him.  He got about 5 seconds of Wookie crying screen time and it then jumps to R2 waking up from his self induced coma to announce to everyone he did have the rest of the map they needed (which in itself was a bit confusing to me why no one knew where the end of the map led without the beginning of it).
I am assuming this is a previously uncharted or poorly charted section of the galaxy.  Maybe stars are dense, difficult to find a hyperspace route, etc.  In the EU (which if course, is largely wiped out, but just to give some precedent) the deep core is difficult to navigate, and so much of it is unknown.  Without the small map from BB-8, they don't know the planet they are heading for, and without the larger map, they can't see the hyperspace approach routes to get to it. Otherwise, I agree - I can't see why they need the larger map.

My second problem, and it's not really a problem, more an editing preference.  The last scene of arriving at the planet Rey has had visions of (Ren says this much when mind probing her, the vast ocean, the island) and walking up the mountain to reveal Luke should have been a post credit scene, and shorter.  Less walking up the hill, less holding the lightsaber out.  Even at 2 mins, that would have been a perfect bonus to those who stayed behind.
I totally agree.  I have mentioned in another thread and to others that I felt the movie should have ended after the resistance reunites following the destruction of Starkiller Base, including giving Chewie (and Leia) some time for grief.  Having the Luke scene a s a post-credits scene seems like a nice compromise to me.  I would have preferred it that way.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile

Honestly, the "celebration" after destroying SKB was about the most hollow scene for me in the whole thing, the one that I thought should have looked the most different. The big pan out made me think there weren't anywhere enough Resistance personnel there to have pulled off the mission they just did & everyone seemed to be more gathering than celebrating. I get that there were serious losses to contend with & maybe that the idea - subdued relief for now, knowing there is still work to do - but it still seemed flat, and Leia's reaction most of all. I'll see it again in a couple of hours here & really watch that part over to see if it makes more sense.

All that to say, maybe they looked at it once the movie was wrapped & decided they didn't want to go out to the credits on that scene & put the Luke one in for a better ending (even though it's a very ESB ending - uncomfortable with so much up in the air).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:47:21 AM by jjreason »

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I found this pretty funny:
https://jedijones77.wordpress.com/2015/12/30/if-luke-was-rey-a-k-a-the-star-wars-a-new-hope-mary-sue-rewrite/

Basically, a re-imagining of A New Hope if written in the Disney style of TFA.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Here's a summary of the deleted / originally scripted scenes from the movie:
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awkens-deleted-scenes/

Some of them I think probably worked out better by being cut - the Zuvio scene in particular, it sounds like it sped up the film a bit in that spot.

But other scenes I think could have really clarified a lot of the questions, like the early scene about the Senate with Leia & Korr Sella; Snoke dismissing Vader's redemption sheds more light on his background and ideology; and Ren aboard the Falcon would have been a good scene to flesh him out just a little more.

Just don't expect an "extended edition" a la the LOTR/Hobbit films -
JJ Abrams: "Iím not a huge fan of directorsí cuts and modifications to a movie. I feel the movie that comes out is the movie that should be the intended final product."
He might just be saying that to appease all the haters of Lucas' constant tinkering, though. But if Disney decides there's another boatload of money to be made by doing an extended cut, then obviously they don't give a fig what Abrams thinks on that subject.

SciFiEric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile

He cuts out 20 minutes of film but does not believe in sharing with fans! What a womp rat!  :mad0137:

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

He cuts out 20 minutes of film but does not believe in sharing with fans! What a womp rat!  :mad0137:

I think what he meant was he is not a fan of extended / director's cuts, as in a different version of the film. That does not mean he wouldn't include the deleted scenes on the home release. They just wouldn't be re-edited back into the film.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile

That's fine with me. It will be very interesting - if they are included - to see how many toys wound up being created from footage that was left out! The Snowspeeder & Zuvio for sure - maybe others as well....

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile

Some of them I think probably worked out better by being cut - the Zuvio scene in particular, it sounds like it sped up the film a bit in that spot.

But other scenes I think could have really clarified a lot of the questions, like the early scene about the Senate with Leia & Korr Sella; Snoke dismissing Vader's redemption sheds more light on his background and ideology; and Ren aboard the Falcon would have been a good scene to flesh him out just a little more.
I think the Snoke/Kylo scene would have been good.  It really helps us see what Kylo Ren thinks of Vader and why he is trying to finish what he started.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I'm really wondering though if the relationship might not be something odder now that we have found out the name of the planet Luke is on translates to "brother"...which might be nothing, might be a red herring, might be something less direct. However, I'm wondering how they could work in that she's his sister made in a test tube post-Vader's death! Maybe the cloned-from-Luke's-hand has more weight than I gave it originally?

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile

I finally saw the move on the 1st. I liked it. I seem to be with the majority regarding my feelings and thoughts. Han's death really seems to have been necessary with the story they set up. I like the new characters and I thought the acting was good. The humour was great and a nice fit. It was a bit of a rehash but it was expected and I think it gave me some of that nostalgic feeling. It seems to me that there is a strong possibility Rey is Luke's daughter. However, I think it is possible she is either Leia/Han's daughter or Obi Wan's grand daughter. Perhaps Disney will throw us a twist and go with the Obi Wan relation. Luke's daughter does seem a bit obvious. Maybe she is just some random new powerful force user, but I like to think there will be some connection to the Skywalker family as it will mean more when she duels with Ben Solo again.

I am thinking there may be a connection or something more to this Snoke character. Cloned Palpatine? We only ever saw a hologram, maybe the real person looks totally different. So many possibility and in the end we won't know the whole story until EP9 comes out.

I watched the move twice and on the first viewing I thought I heard Obi Wan's voice at one of the forest scenes? I missed it on the second viewing (blaming it on my kids) or perhaps it just wasn't there and I am just crazy. Did anyone else pick up on this?

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

I read somewhere that Ewan came to add his voice to that scene.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169089
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 66
Total: 69

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 38 queries.