Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 07:37:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

60 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: And the topic of the day is: Episode VII SPOILERS **NOW WITH EXTRA SPOILERS**  (Read 13961 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: And the topic of the day is: Episode VII SPOILERS
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:26:07 PM »

Completely blown away myself, I just got home. I can't really begin to break down my thoughts about each of the sequences, but it was absolutely incredible. Thank God the dialogue folks got to work & got rid of that cardboard Lucas horse**** we suffered through in Eps I-III. So emotional.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 10:38:03 PM »

Also enjoyed it. Lots to talk about, but I won't put any spoilers here yet...

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 10:46:41 PM »

I thought the movie was great!  Can't wait for the next, at least we know it will be a two year wait rather than three with Rouge One to fill in the gap a year from now.  As much as I liked this movie, which was quite a bit, it has re-affirmed for me that the OT will always be special and one-of-a-kind.  Much of that I'm sure is because I was a kid when I first watched them but there is a lot more to it than that too.

I was surprised to find out a week ago that the theater in my small town doesn't pre-sell tickets and wasn't sure what the turn out would be or what my odd's would be for me to get in.  It ended up that the capacity was about 300 and only a little more than half the seats were occupied.  Not sure if it's because the release has been listed as the 17th and the 18th or what?  It was a good crowd though and everyone seemed to really enjoy the movie.

Hope that most of you were able to look past the few flaws and enjoyed the movie too.
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 11:15:34 PM »

The biggest thing for me was forming a quick affinity for the new characters. Rey & Finn in particular, Poe to a slightly lesser extent & of course Kylo - I'm very interested in seeing what the future holds for them and I was honestly worried I wouldn't care after watching this movie. Thank goodness I was so wrong. They were all amazing.

Ookk

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »

I definitely enjoyed the movie and will be happy to go see it again. While it certainly is indebted to the original films thematically and plot-wise, it had enough new material and engaging characters to make for a great viewing.  It felt like Star Wars, and there wasn't anything that really stood out to me as a glaring plot hole or unbelievable character relationship.

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »

SPOILERS  SPOILERS  SPOILERS

Some thoughts...

First, a bit of background.  When I first heard about Episode VII, I kind of circled my wagons around the OT.  Before, I basically accepted the prequels as part of the whole saga, but with the announcement that the story was going to keep going and going and going, I was just like, okay, I think I'm out of the larger Star Wars universe.     

I'm old.  (Or at least old enough where the idea of one's mortality starts to set in.)  I need "The End" movies.  Not "To be continued ...  and continued ... and continued" movies.   I've developed an appreciation for stories I know I'll be alive to see the end of.   

So basically, I've settled on the OT as being "my" Star Wars.  And my Star Wars is finished.  And I'm fine with that.   It started with a "Once upon time..." (A long time ago in a galaxy far away) and finished with "And they all lived happily ever after." (The group shot at the end of Jedi.) 

This being said, I still enjoy the Star Wars universe (i.e. Rebels and elements of the prequels), but I did kind of go into Ep7 looking at it as well-made and well-financed official fan fiction.  (Remember for me, they all lived happily ever after.  So Disney can tell me Luke isn't happily training Jedi or enjoying hanging out with Mara Jade or flying around the universe with R2 being cool, but it doesn't really register as being part of my Star Wars.)

So onto some random thoughts.

1. "Luke Skywalker has vanished."  Awesome sauce.   He's vanished.  He's not Sith.  (I stayed away from a lot of rumours, but article headlines suggested Luke may have  gone to the Dark Side.)  Just because I don't (yet) accept Ep7 as part my canon doesn't mean I won't mind seeing lightning shoot out of Luke's fingers.   Luke is kind of my ultimate good guy and I don't want to see him depicted as anything but.

2. Finn.  Liked him.  Picked up a $10 BS Finn from Amazon mainly because of the price.  I figured I'd probably get someone else (i.e. Ren or Phasma) if I decided to have TFA represented in my BS collection.  I'm glad I got Finn.  Don't feel the need for a different character.

3. Phasma.  I wonder how many people said to themselves I paid (enter scalper price here) for  that!?  Did Phasma even shoot her gun?

4. Continuing with Phasma, one nitpick is Phasma lowering the shields.  She knew what could happen if she did that.   Hux mentioned how obedient his troops are.  I would expect a captain should be extra obedient and definitely put the First Order above her own life.

5.  Han and Chewie.  Getting a peek at "smuggler" Han was neat.  Seeing a major hero of the rebellion doing that kind of work was a bit odd though.  I wonder what Wedge is up to?  Selling used speeders maybe?

6.  Liked the Force as a character.  "You need a teacher."  She has a teacher.  Thank you.

7. Chewie kind of felt like Diggle on Flash.  If you know Diggle, on Arrow he's a tough guy.  On Flash (his first appearance anyway ) he was comic relief.

8.  Liked Jakku. 

9.  In some ways I felt this was kind of an ESB-like movie.  The end didn't feel like an end.  Star Wars had the medal ceremony.  E1 had the raising of a Spencer Store static electricity ball.  Distinctive (happy) music for both.  Here, the Res. destroys a base more dangerous than the Death Star yet after showed less enthusiasm than the rebels on Hoth when a transport got away.

10.  Liked Ren's lineage.   Explains costume and powers.

11. BB-8.   Great name.  Great droid.

12. Back to the base.  The Death Star felt more important.  They built it up as a threat.   They gave it "presence".  "That's no moon" and all that.  No one really expressed incredulity at this movie's new weapon.   Kind of seemed to have a ho-hum attitude about it (see point #9 for example.)  It's big.  It gets it power from the sun.  Here's it's weakness.  Let's blow it up.  No one seemed scared of it.  (I know the planet people were scared, but they weren't scared of the Starkiller so much as a big red beam.)  The Death Star may have been smaller and only able to destroy one planet at a time, but at least people were actually scared of it and/or doubted it could be destroyed.

13.  Didn't notice the new music.

14.  Liked Rey.

15. Poe was ... okay.  Don't know if I could take the character in larger doses.

16.  Remember the saying "Don't trust anyone over 30"?  Seems to have been applied to the FO except the supreme leader.

17.  Ren could stop a laser blast.  Why even get into a lightsaber fight?  He could use the Force to toss Finn and Rey and crush their weapon.  Why.  Even.  Fight.   

18. Lots of funny moments, but nothing really immediately struck me as "fun/cool" in terms of sequences.  (i.e. Hoth battle, speeder bike chase, etc.) Though the chase through the destroyer was visually cool, it didn't really feel like wow.  (Maybe because I kind of saw it already in Jedi.) 

19.  So, did the prequels even happen?  The only "reference" I noticed was about clones, but they're referenced  in ANH, too.

20. Didn't like Poe's bloody face.  Don't think I'm a fan of blood in Star Wars.  (I know Ponda Baba's arm and all ...) This movie just seemed to have a lot of it ... for a Star Wars film. 

I'll just stop at 20.

Over all, I liked it and may like it more later. 

Lots of questions left by the movie.  Hopefully the answers are good.

As far as toys, I've got a BS Finn and Scavenger 2-pack, but think I'm probably fine not collecting the toys and focusing on the OT. 

However,  if there's a good sale...

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:21:52 PM by Bespin-81 »

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 04:58:05 PM »

saw it today with my wife.

I really enjoyed it but agree nothing will impact me like the OT could (the wonder of youth and all).

The visuals in the beginning were jaw dropping. The destroyed at-at etc.

loved the comedy: That ship is crap!

When Han shouted "Ben!" That gave me chills.

I hated another deathstar type weapon. Give us something new please.

All the new characters were surprisingly...amazing. I cared about what happened to them.

Ren - that actor should have been anakin in the prequels. He did a very good job.

I loved and hated the ending. I wanted more!

Star Wars is back. My kids are too little now, but they will be ready for Ep.8.

ps - not sure about that supreme leader guy...would have liked to know a bit more about him, but I guess that will be revealed in the next movie.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 06:47:06 PM »

Spoilers below.....

Lots of good points, and I agree with most of them

I really liked the movie, but do think a few things were too overdone in terms of referencing the OT - Death Star like weapon, destroying said weapon after an X-wing does a trench run, important bad guys being fathers or sons of important good guys, etc.  That being said, I love Kylo Ren's lineage.  I do wish his name had been Anakin or really anything besides Ben (which was Luke's son in the books).  That's just being nitpicky, though.

To be honest, my biggest beef is the fact they even put Luke in it.  Don't get me wrong - I love Luke, and really I would have loved to see way more of him.  However, if the story was going to go the way it did, I think they should have ended right after the destruction of the Starkiller base and the discovery, with R2 and BB8, of Luke's location.  It seemed a fitting end, and made the last 5-10 minutes somewhat anticlimactic.  If they saved that for episode 7, they could have spent a bit more time with a
few things that seemed a bit rushed in this one.

Overall, I am happy with the movie.  I'm focusing on the gripes, but I liked it.  Can't wait to see it again!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 06:49:49 PM by brianakarobin »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

So who was Von Sydow? I saw the name in the credits but did not recognize it. I thought we were told we would. A red herring? Also a couple things didn't stand out to me as if they were missing that were in the trailers: the lightsaber pass off looked like it was from Maz to Leia (or Rey) but not only did this not happen, the background seemed different (a scene that ended up in the "trash" of the editor's computer?). And I didn't see any resistance troopers who were not pilots, probably they were in the background?

Did anybody else in the opening scene with Von Sydow meeting Kylo think oh no! This is Kanen and Ezra!!! I did for a moment then when they didn't reveal names I quickly abandoned it.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile

I thought Mas did pass the lightsaber to Rey? The part from the trailers I don't remember hearing was the "Who are you?" "No one" conversation.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Nope, Finn took it.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Another "missing" bit we'd heard rumours about: Carrie's daughter playing her in a flashback.

I'm wondering if the home video release isn't going to be LOTR all over again and we'll get the extended edition eventually.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile

Carrie's daughter was the blonde girl at the data board for the Resistance - she even had the cinnamon buns hairdo! The characters weren't related, but she was there in a couple of shots for sure.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

Max did try to give it to Rey, but she wouldn't take it. 

The trailers were meant to tease, not reveal.  As such, much of the dialogue was not from the film, but just recorded for the trailers.  Another example was the whole "the force is strong in my family blah blah blah You have that power, too."

I also didn't recognize the characters name that Von Sydow played.  Based on the interaction, I thought he would be someone of importance.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile

Anyone else half covering their face & cringing when Rey & Finn took off in the Falcon & started bouncing it all over the place??? It felt like I was watching my unlicenced teenager take our car out for a spin without permission....

CAREFUL WITH MY FALCON, DAMMIT!!!!!  :mad0137: :rollfloorlaffsmiley: :rollfloorlaffsmiley: :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

Oh, and that "first appearance" might have gotten the biggest cheer from the crowd I was with in the theatre - awesome moment.  :character0005:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170155
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 79
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 38 queries.