Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 12:44:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

26 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5POA General Discussion  (Read 1205 times)

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
5POA General Discussion
« on: May 14, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »

When I first saw pictures of these figures I never thought that I would be buying any, but now a year after they first came out I now own all of them from waves 1 and 2 of Saga Legends and the Mission Series except for the Seeker Droid. Somehow they ended up appealing to me and now they are all I collect. I like that they're cheap (several of mine came through sales or trades) and that they're sturdy. They aren't perfect and it can be tough finding them with good paint jobs, but I like them anyway. My only concern right now is how large this line might grow. Counting everything released to date and all known upcoming figures, there are already 59 figures in total, not including re-releases. I don't really want to build a huge collection, but right now I'm still in the game and hoping to find wave 3 soon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:54:36 PM by jmac »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: 5POA General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:18:49 PM »

I don't think a figure NEEDS to be super articulated. That said, unless these are going to ever be released on vintage style cards, they just feel limited to me as the type of collector I have become. I recently saw a few photos of people setting these up opened on shelves and that sealed the deal for me: No need to start yet another sub-collection of characters I already have. It just looked like "same old stuff". But before seeing these photos I was close because yes, sometimes, they do look nice even in a neutral pose, sometimes better if you don't want to see hinges and joints.

I think bottom line is these are great for kids and cheap enough. If a collector is personally not bothered by a sense of repetition (which is the bane of all the lines honestly) and is not bothered by them having that fairly neutral stance then I don't see any reason they should hesitate. Personally, I've narrowed my focus to the SA OT offerings. I will keep an eye on this line in case they release a character that has never been released before in any form (or that the 5 POA is somehow an enormous improvement upon... to my eye anyway). But there is no way I'm going to fill another shelf with 5POA Han, Luke, Threepio, etc… It just doesn't feel like it would be fun but would be out of a sense of needing to have them all.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:17:05 PM by sinkie »

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »

I don't think a figure NEEDS to be super articulated. That said, unless these are going to ever be released on vintage style cards, they just feel limited to me as the type of collector I have become. I recently saw a few photos of people setting these up opened on shelves and that sealed the deal for me: No need to start yet another sub-collection of characters I already have. It just looked like "same old stuff". But before seeing these photos I was close because yes, sometimes, they do look nice even in a neutral pose, sometimes better if you don't want to see hinges and joints.

I think bottom line is these are great for kids and cheap enough. If a collector is personally not bothered by a sense of repetition (which is the bane of all the lines honestly) and is not bothered by them having that fairly neutral stance then I don't see any reason they should hesitate. Personally, I've narrowed my focus to the SA OT offerings. I will keep an eye on this line in case they release a character that has never been released before in any form (or that the 5 POA is somehow an enormous improvement upon... to my eye anyway). But there is no way I'm going to fill another shelf with 5POA Han, Luke, Threepio, etc… It just doesn't feel like it would be fun but would be out of a sense of needing to have them all.

Totally agree. For me the Luke is very cool and Kenner-esque (and the paint looked a lot better than other recent releases). Basically what I expected the 1995 line to be, a modern version of a 5 POA Kenner figures. But there is the thing, it's not 1995 now. At this point it is just redundant. So I skipped Luke. I grabbed a Snowtrooper because it looks nice, I love Snowtroopers, and it's an army builder so not as redundant. Can always use more Snowtroopers. :) I do get the appeal of the line, but unless it's something different or vastly improving on what came before, or on a Vintage card for the first time, they're not for me.

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »

As I have said above, I really do like this line, even though I still have lots of SA figures. Some of my SA figures have been traded away so that I could get wave 2 of Saga Legends and the Mission Series. It's not that I don't like SA figures. I just feel like I have enough of them already and can't think of many more that I really want. For me, the 5 POA figures seem like a whole new collection and not really connected to the main line. I think the strategy for me going ahead is to be a lot more selective as to what I collect. I have 5 kids of my own, none of which are that into action figures, but because of the size of my family I need to be wiser about how much money I invest into my hobby. I can't really justify spending full price on a Black Series figure, but a Mission Series pack, especially when it's on sale is doable. But with 6 more movies coming in the next 6 years there's no way I'll be able to collect everything that's going to be coming out, no matter how cheap it is!

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:18:58 AM »

Saw these this morning in the plastic flesh for the first time (Luke/Snowtrooper wave I mean) and thought I would be tempted, but wasn't. Even found a decently "eyed" Luke and 3 snowtroopers.

Curious, in regards to DarthCujo's comment above how these seem to be to him what we should have had in 1995, how many others felt the same way back in the day? I remember when I heard rumours they were coming (1995 line) thinking they would literally continue on from the POTF vintage line and be in that same style so when I saw them looking more detailed and slightly "larger than life" I was kind of thrilled since I don't think I really wanted, at the time, to get figures like I had when I was a kid! Though in the end I only bought a handful so maybe on some level I knew they were not what I wanted and were more toy-like than the adult collector in me wanted. I either really did want "faux" vintage and just hadn't realized it yet or basically what we have now, human-like proportions with lots of articulation. Was there a lot of shock when these hit or was there a general feeling that they were awesome and better than vintage Kenner style? I only had one guy I knew buying them at the time and he loved them so I missed out on any bulletin board chatter around their arrival.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:20:38 AM by sinkie »

Darth Chadus

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »

Saw these this morning in the plastic flesh for the first time (Luke/Snowtrooper wave I mean) and thought I would be tempted, but wasn't. Even found a decently "eyed" Luke and 3 snowtroopers.

Curious, in regards to DarthCujo's comment above how these seem to be to him what we should have had in 1995, how many others felt the same way back in the day? I remember when I heard rumours they were coming (1995 line) thinking they would literally continue on from the POTF vintage line and be in that same style so when I saw them looking more detailed and slightly "larger than life" I was kind of thrilled since I don't think I really wanted, at the time, to get figures like I had when I was a kid! Though in the end I only bought a handful so maybe on some level I knew they were not what I wanted and were more toy-like than the adult collector in me wanted. I either really did want "faux" vintage and just hadn't realized it yet or basically what we have now, human-like proportions with lots of articulation. Was there a lot of shock when these hit or was there a general feeling that they were awesome and better than vintage Kenner style? I only had one guy I knew buying them at the time and he loved them so I missed out on any bulletin board chatter around their arrival.

When I first heard back in 95 the figures were coming back I was stoked.  I thought they looked pretty cool to be honest but I think in the back of my mind I was wishing they weren''t so buff.   A friend of mine who wasn't much of a collector still refers to them as the buff figures.    The idea of seeing new Star Wars figures after 10 years was very exciting.  I was around 25 at the time,   my vintage collection was still being stored at my parents house, but now being an adult,  I wasn't ashamed to once again come out of the closet as an action figure collector.    The lean years when there wasn't much going on in the late 80's and early 90's,  I still hung on to my love of figures but being in highschool/college, collecting figures probably wouldn't have been considered cool.  Back to the point at hand.  I am very happy with the new saga legends, figures, paint issues aside,  I think its because it harkens back more to my childhood than the super articulated figures do.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:15:30 PM by Darth Chadus »

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »

Saw a story on Rebelscum today that seems to confirm that wave 2 of Saga Legends will not be coming to Canada. I wonder why Hasbro Canada didn't want to carry this wave? Not enough main characters? Too much stock of wave 1 on hand? At least Boba Fett, Stormtrooper and Commander Cody will be showing up again in the Mission Series, but who knows if those will make it to Canada or not either.

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »

My guess would be wave 1 was a slow seller so when it came time to order wave 2 HasCan just weren't ready. Wave 3 came along and now they felt ready to bring in more stock. So wave 2 gets skipped. Just a guess.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »

I sold my vintage figures and vehicles to help raise some money for my wedding back in 1995. The guy I sold them to actually showed me some pics of the upcoming POTF2 releases & I remember being of 2 minds - awesome the line was starting again, but damn - was that Luke or He Man???  :speechless-smiley-004:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:30:25 AM by jjreason »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169064
  • Total Topics: 14341
  • Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 26
Total: 27

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 38 queries.