Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2018, 02:36:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

69 Guests, 4 Users

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebels movie  (Read 2703 times)

cmkjmacd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • You must unlearn what you have learned!
    • View Profile
Rebels movie
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:03:16 AM »

So I was in one of my local Disney stores today and they had a sign up saying that there will be a Rebels movie. It is going to air on Friday, October 3 at 9pm et on Family Channel. While I am shocked to hear this(excited),it is too bad that it will not be in theaters like the Clone Wars movie. I am also surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Rebels movie
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:20:20 AM »

The adds are all over Disney XD & have been for a bit now - hopefully they're appealing to a few kids!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:56:10 AM »

I have seen this online a few places as well.  I am not overly excited for Rebels, so I didn't post anything.  I will watch it and give it a chance, but the Clone Wars cartoon was disappointing to me.

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:11:30 PM »

I saw this at Fan Expo.  It was great.  Such a strong OT feeling - they've really nailed it!

I advise anyone to at least give it a fair shake.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 07:04:46 AM »

I saw this at Fan Expo.  It was great.  Such a strong OT feeling - they've really nailed it!

I advise anyone to at least give it a fair shake.

Good to hear.  I don't want to get my hopes up, but I will definitely give it a try.  If nothing else, it will be something my children and I can watch together.

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:25:27 PM »

I didn't realize that the show premiered tonight on the Family channel until I happpened to see it on the tv listings (even though CMK posted it here!)... ten minutes after it had started.  I watched it from then on and it was pretty good.  This show didn't have the instant connections with characters the way that the Clone Wars did, but it did a pretty good job in giving a first impression for each of the cast of characters during the episode.  I'm willing to give it a chance at this point.
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 01:03:33 AM »

I was lucky enough to have seen the TV guide listings early on and saw the whole thing. I wasn't really that excited about the show to begin with so perhaps that put a less-than-warm glow on how I reacted to tonight's story.

My main complaints are probably that of any old dude, long-time SW fan (I'm sure young kids won't have these same criticisms):

- the Stormtroopers were about as clumsy and menacing as the battledroids of the CW era, if not worse... it's been said before that if you want your protagonists to really be seen as heroes, they need a strong villain to go up against, not keystone cops.

- there's not a lot of inherent tension in watching a show where you know the outcome of the civil war (indeed, it gives a pointlessness to the whole affair). That said, we know the outcome of the Clone Wars and I found the latter seasons of that cartoon to be fairly riveting so perhaps the fault here lies in the so-so writing. The fates of the characters would have to provide the tension, but since they are all-new for now, there's not a lot of emotions to generate in the viewer when they are threatened. And again, it doesn't help that the threat against them feels weak and incompetent.

- I really really disliked Ezra. I know he's written to be rogue-ish and to provide some friction amongst the otherwise chummy crew, but man, even once the episode ended I still wanted to see him flushed out into space.  Are they trying to top Lucas's version of Anakin Skywalker or something?

I'll continue watching for a few more weeks, but I certainly hope the writing becomes considerably less predictable.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »

My main complaints are probably that of any old dude, long-time SW fan (I'm sure young kids won't have these same criticisms):

I can agree with your points when looking at the show from my 'old dude, long time SW fan' point-of-view, but I am also able to go a little easier on it with a 'take it for what it is' point of view as well.  Knowing this show is aimed primarily for kids (as has been the case with most star wars movies and tv shows) and knowing that it is now owned, produced and controlled by Disney I think it actually turned out alot better than it could have.

- the Stormtroopers were about as clumsy and menacing as the battledroids of the CW era, if not worse... it's been said before that if you want your protagonists to really be seen as heroes, they need a strong villain to go up against, not keystone cops.

I see this point as well except do we really ever see the stormtroopers in the OT acting any more competent than a squad of battle droids.  In ANH there wasn't one stormtrooper on the entire death star that was able to stop one elderly man from shutting down the entire security system, or able to hit any of the heroes with a blaster shot.  They weren't even able to over-take the Ewoks and their primitive weapons. :star-wars-smiley-008:

- there's not a lot of inherent tension in watching a show where you know the outcome of the civil war (indeed, it gives a pointlessness to the whole affair). That said, we know the outcome of the Clone Wars and I found the latter seasons of that cartoon to be fairly riveting so perhaps the fault here lies in the so-so writing.

I'm not sure if there has ever been a war movie made, especially non-fictional, where you didn't know the outcome.  Saving Private Ryan gives away the climax of the movie in it's title and was still a good flick.  I'll give it another chance, I'm married so I have nothing better to do on a friday night anyways. ;)

"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »

I see this point as well except do we really ever see the stormtroopers in the OT acting any more competent than a squad of battle droids.  In ANH there wasn't one stormtrooper on the entire death star that was able to stop one elderly man from shutting down the entire security system, or able to hit any of the heroes with a blaster shot.  They weren't even able to over-take the Ewoks and their primitive weapons. :star-wars-smiley-008:

I agree and that's why I hope in eps7 the new Stormies at least get some kind of new battlearmor (which would actually repel laser blasts) or deadlier weapons or anything that just turns them back into a menace once more. 

You just can't get an audience to root for the good guys over the long haul when the villains are so annoyingly weak and incompetent. Losing against the ewoks, while an understandable analogue to the whole Vietnam war about underestimating a non-technological foe, just made the stormtroopers jump the shark as a threatening military foe.

Let's see Empire 2.0 obliterating the innocents en masse, killing a slew of Luke's new Jedi order, even dare I say blowing up the Falcon (I doubt this would really happen but you never know), do anything that makes the audience take a step back and go "Uh-oh... this ain't your daddy's empire..."

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

And by Empire 2.0 you of course mean.... the rebels.....  :speechless-smiley-004:

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 07:59:21 AM »

"Let's see Empire 2.0 obliterating the innocents en masse, killing a slew of Luke's new Jedi order, even dare I say blowing up the Falcon (I doubt this would really happen but you never know), do anything that makes the audience take a step back and go "Uh-oh... this ain't your daddy's empire...""

Let it begin !!!  I would love to see this happen.   And I want to see Luke go to the dark side and kill Han and Leia, blow up the Falcon and turn R2D2 and C3p0 into scrap metal. I love OT and all 3 movies but I think Disney needs to begin with characters that start in a much more darker place than we have ever seen before.   I don't think this will happen.  But I do think we will be happy with the first movie - too much is riding on it for Disney to make a big mistake.

I agree that Rebels will have to grow on us because we lack a connection with the main characters.   My kids and I watched it - we liked it but it did not blow us away.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 10:51:22 PM »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/09/star-wars-rebels-spark-of-rebellion-to-air-with-an-additional-villain/

Nice to see Disney shelling out the money to pay James Earl Jones to make a cameo (I've never been a fan of the alt voice actor they use... he didn't do it for me, just sounded like a bad impression).

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 08:19:34 AM »

I watched the first episode on Family.   Are the rest of the episodes going to be on family or Disney XD?
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »

Not sure what channel - I think Disney XD.  I had to find them online.

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »

I watched the first episode on Family.   Are the rest of the episodes going to be on family or Disney XD?

both ... :)`
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169435
  • Total Topics: 14376
  • Online Today: 89
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 69
Total: 73

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 38 queries.