Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 12:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

28 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future of the 3.75 line  (Read 1006 times)

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Future of the 3.75 line
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »

Last night I did a bit of a toy run and found some of the OT figures I thought I'd be excited about on the pegs and but found they felt like rehashes probably for the first time in a long time. And I had the thought: after Ep VII we're probably going to see a lot less if not zero OT figures ever. My guess is once the Disney machine ramps up and people are focused on the new films, the new heroes, the OT rehash figures are going to get even less popular with older collectors let alone kids. I just can't see how they will compete with all the NEWNESS coming. Especially if the films are any good and I don't mean good in that they click with the OT-raised generation but they entertain and wow the kids in a way the PT probably didn't quite do for that generation (not that it didn't create a lot of new fans). But the stories from here on out, unless they really do end up making a origins of Kenobi/Yoda/Han/Boba films, will create stories and a plot line that we don't know the ending of. The PT lead the audience back to the OT. This one is branching out into unknown territory (not even the EU's post-OT can predict it). So are these the last days where we can expect anything more than a smattering of OT offerings?

I guess if Disney does manage to release an HD version of the OOT they could use that hype to continue offering PT/OT figures for a while so maybe the complete die off of OT figures won't happen for 5-10 years...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:59:13 AM by sinkie »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the 3.75 line
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:17:05 AM »

The only measuring stick we have really is Episode I. If you recall, it was an absolute DELUGE of merch related ONLY to that movie. It was huge hit for about a year, but then the shelves became clogged & pretty much everyone was extremely sick of everything about that line (including the red & black Darh Maul cardbacks & similar packaging).

What did Hasbro do? Recognize it for what it was, and threw us an AWESOME (at the time) selection of previously unmade OT figures in the POTJ line (PORKINS!!!!!!!!!!). All we can do is batten down the hatches, wait out the storm & hope for some fair OT flavoured weather on the far side.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 08:16:43 AM »

True, I guess I'm trying to anticipate what kind of "measuring stick" the ST will be…ST and beyond…since it is no longer "what came before" but more of a future-driven project (except for the rumoured Fett etc solo films). I guess if the new stuff really takes off with kids (and everyone) maybe it will have more staying and market power than the PT did, maybe it won't rely as heavily on the nostalgia and general greatness of the OT. Also, since we did have that return to the OT stuff alongside the PT I kind of feel like they might have mined it so heavily that they can't reproduce a wow factor in just redoing old figures and giving us the handful of obscure-yet-marketable characters they have not yet done, especially if the ST is wall-to-wall cool designs and characters. I guess they could just start it all over again with 5POA OT…but I'm not really lamenting, just seeing that we might be heading into a completely new era of product. And for those who want more, this may be a good thing.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »

I was actually thinking that we'd get more OT figures not less, just because the spinoffs and sequels are all derived from the same spring and kids will inevitably go back to the roots if they become enamoured of the new films.

Certainly enough parents are trying to pass on the excitement of the OT as a kind of geek-heirloom me thinks. I just met a dad last week who wanted his son to watch the same Sunbow GI Joe cartoons he was addicted to when he was his age (the dad also will completely skip over the nonsensical live-action films thank goodness).

Even the prequel characters may get a boost in the end if Disney opts to focus on characters like Mace or Jango Fett for spinoff flicks (who says it has to be only Boba? One actor, 2x the paycheque... a cast of thousands in Temura, literally :) )  It all depends on what their surveys and market research yields. They didn't expect Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan to be so popular until they asked and now he's in consideration for his own spin-off.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 09:59:43 PM »

Like I said, if the spin-off movies happen I could see the PT/OT may sticking around as fodder for toys longer. But if they spend more time on the post ROTJ years I could see it slowly becoming less and less of a focus. And parents getting their kids to watch what they like can backfire or not be the kids cup of tea. I know my kids aren't the biggest SW fans, lord knows I've tried!

I guess I'm just wondering how long the old films will be able to stand up to the onslaught that may be coming. If the new films give us more inspiring heroes than the PT did, kids may not care so much about young Luke and Han if their kids or whatever are way cooler and interesting and involved in adventures rendered in the special effects their generation expects. Maybe. Maybe Disney has a different plan that what I'm thinking might happen, maybe they'll want to keep the OT (and maybe PT) as marketable as possible and rely heavily on them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169064
  • Total Topics: 14341
  • Online Today: 73
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 28
Total: 29

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 38 queries.