Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 09:11:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

58 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW Marvel Star Wars Comics - In Stores Now!!!  (Read 7877 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
NEW Marvel Star Wars Comics - In Stores Now!!!
« on: December 07, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »

An article I found suggests the upcoming Marvel Star Wars issue #1 will be the first comic to sell 1 million issues since Batman 500. That's.... over 20 years ago folks. I can't recommend highly enough that you zip out to your local comic shop & try to grab a copy of two just in case (heck, it might even be worth reading - John Cassaday is the artist  :party0007: ). The story is set to take place between ANH and ESB.

The comic is due to be released on Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 - I would expect the cover price of the regular version to be in the $3.99 price range.

http://comicbook.com/2014/12/05/marvels-star-wars-1-to-sell-over-1-000-000-copies/

Here's a link to the official SW site preview:

http://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-star-wars-1-exclusive-preview

Here's a look at Cassaday's "regular" (though hardly regular at all by my math, it's friggin' amazing) cover:

And here's a sneak preview of the "Action Figure Variant" cover, which you know they'll be gouging for. In my opinion you should NOT fall into the trap of paying many times cover price for the variant - a lot of stores will be asking $25 for these I'm quite sure.  :speechless-smiley-004:

Man, I haven't been excited for a new Star Wars comic in so long.... no offence to Dark Horse, they did some great work... just not all of it in line with my area of specific SW interest.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:39:37 AM by jjreason »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Marvel Star Wars Comics - coming soon!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »

If the variant covers are rare I could see them going up in price but if it actually sells a million? It will be an event but the regular release would not be rare at all and should not go up much.

I'm curious to read it however but I will probably get the first issue and unless it blows me away I'll wait to buy the trades. (if they sell x-ray specs and model kits in their ads I might buy the single issues however!)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 07:30:05 PM »

You're right of course, the last "big" selling books (X-Men volume 2 #1, McFarlane Spider-Man #1, Batman 500) are all worth little more than cover price today. The event though is exciting, and I'm guessing there will be lots of SW fans to talk with at the local comic shops - as well as a good few curious speculators/onlookers - should be a fun day!

Here's another variant - available at "launch parties" only - poor Jaxxon gets no respect...I'm guessing even Napseeker will line up for this version....

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:17:49 PM »

JR, it's a great cover - but a cover won't do, they should include a free Jaxxon action figure when you buy the comic  :)

I actually love that homage to the Kenner card, that's ingenious... they could do one of every major character in subsequent issues and I'd buy it!
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:08:19 AM »

God, that could take us through issue what, 93???? Please, God, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  :speechless-smiley-004: :(

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 08:04:54 AM »

Haha - poor Jaxxon!  I haven't picked up a regular issue comic in years, but I may have to make an exception here.  Those are some great covers.

y ucxon0

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 12:13:47 PM »

Ok as far as I'm concerned, Jaxxon's inclusion on the cover of the new Marvel Star Wars series, which purports to be part of the canon, means Jaxxon is again officially part of the canon!

So Hasbro, you now have Disney's blessing to make a Jaxxon action figure... go!   :rollfloorlaffsmiley:
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 07:14:35 PM »

Today was the release day, anyone else head out to grab a copy? I got the standard cover as well as the painting of Luke in the action figure package variant. Just going to read it here shortly, I'll be sure to pipe in with my review when I'm done!  :party0007:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »

It was pretty awesome! Looking forward to seeing where they go from here. Hopefully everyone else who went out looking for a copy was able to get the one(s) they were after - I'd love to hear anyone else's impressions of the first issue.  :)`

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 05:39:14 AM »

Issue #2 came out last week, and Darth Vader #1 hit stands this past Wednesday - should be lots in stock at your local comic shop!  :luke:

KaleDayspring

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Marvel Star Wars Comics - In Stores Now!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 12:57:03 PM »

I've now read issues 1 and 2 of the new Marvel Star Wars and I have some issues with it. Mainly the end of issue 1 and then the continuation into 2.

SPOILER ALERT if you haven't read these yet

Luke heads down the hall at the end at the end of issue 1 with his lightsaber blazing. Given all of the training he received is some remotes on the Falcon, I'd say he's not much of a swordsman yet. Maybe it's an arrogance that if he looks like a Jedi, people will think he is one. And then he runs into Darth Vader.

In issue 2 Darth says that Luke is no Jedi and that he will use him to find the person who blew up the Death Star. But wait, didn't Vader sense that the pilot who did the deed was strong in the force. I'm guessing Vader must need a ventilator change, because in my mind: Hmmm the pilot was strong in the force. This guy has a lightsaber, the weapon of a Jedi. This guy is on the Light side. Maybe, just maybe this is the pilot.

Visually it is very nice and the side story with 3P0 is OK. (Oh OK, no. c-3p0 can fly a ship and go on some serious missions but the first time he confronts these aliens, he drops the blaster. Yes, his hands are messed up, but really.)

Ok, I have yet to read Vader, but so far this is smacking me of the original Marvel where they threw in stuff that would later fall flat when the next movie came out (original Splinters of the Mind's Eye) Except this time the movies are all out.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 02:01:41 PM »

My only big problem so far is (in my mind anyhow) contacts between Luke & Darth diminish the showdown at the end of ESB. I can see this being a setup, they didn't really duel here at all - but if they keep crossing paths it would really stand to water down the showdown on Bespin.

The art is good. The characterizations are fine - they say things that are at least like things the characters would say - but I worry they're already falling into rehashing/paraphrasing lines from the movies, another thing I would have strongly suggested they stay away from.

All in all I'm thinking it's "ok" so far. SW 1 and Vader 1 both better than that, SW 2 a bit of a letdown. We'll see how things progress.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 06:05:59 PM »

I'm not quite sure what I was expecting but yeah, I felt like it was a mix of Marvel trying to catch the old time vibe mixed in with what we've already seen Dark Horse doI'm pretty sure I'm waiting for trade paperbacks now, and not even sure I'll buy those. I'm actually more excited about the prospect of a pre-sequel tie-in and a Marvel series that will "fill in" the gaps between the new films! Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel have promised this will be a major project in integrated, across-platform storytelling like we've never seen before. Not sure if the current series taking place in the past is going to add stuff and lead into the sequels but if so they had better start advertising this aspect so that people like me might have a reason to read it.

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 06:51:58 AM »

I've read the 3 issues of the 2 series that have come out and I agree - all OK so far.  Jason Aaron is maybe my favourite writer in comics but so far it is just OK.  Some characterization is good, art is fine.

The sniper scene was great though.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 11:24:14 AM »

Jonathan Hickman is likely my favourite, so I'd like to see them slow things down a little bit after the frenetic opening. Character interaction, thought processes etc - make the confrontations actually mean something, and drop moments on us that make the reading worthwhile.... hopefully there will be something for everyone here. I really like the preview art for Princess Leia, and her series starts next month.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169092
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 58
Total: 60

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 39 queries.