Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 17, 2018, 02:31:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

80 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW Marvel Star Wars Comics - In Stores Now!!!  (Read 8278 times)

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Marvel Star Wars Comics - In Stores Now!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2015, 11:06:13 AM »

Just finished Shattered Empire issue 4…Spoiler…

Couldn't help but wonder if Luke giving the 2nd tree to Poe's mother wasn't a hint that Poe might end up being strong in the Force and Luke sensed something… Or it was simply a nice gesture?  If there is something to it, makes me think that the end of TFA could be that we have a trio of future Jedi in Rey, Finn and Poe.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:08:40 AM by sinkie »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2015, 10:27:45 PM »

Could be. I guess Shattered Empire was ok, but the more New EU I read, the more I think it's just the same but different - I think it's very hard to capture the actual feel of the movies and/or do anything truly meaningful with the story or characters outside the movies. I figured we'd at least see Poe Dameron develop into a character we could at least say we'd met going into EpVII - but I don't even think we saw him as a baby or kid in any of the 4 issues, did we??? All things being equal, I could have saved the money from buying these issues without feeling like I had missed anything.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2015, 11:33:18 AM »

Yeah, overall it is pretty lack lustre and not something we couldn't have pretty much guessed at (i.e. they had to continue to fight the remnant of the Empire). And on that level it just feels "same but different" and lacks any "wow, this is really starting to feel like an integrated project with lots to love". I guess that's why I find myself trying to milk any small detail for a potential insight that is more interesting than it suggests…my theory on Poe/Finn/Rey above for example. It's like, ok, if not something as "big" as that, what was the point of that series anyway???

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »

To get our $20 I'm afraid to say.  :(

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »

Well both main series have completed their initial 12 issues and we've arrived at the first crossover - "Vader Down".

I just read the special lead-in issue (not a part of either series, but a stand alone special appropriately entitled "Vader Down" - it has a #1 on the cover even though there won't be a series). Simply put - this was by far the best single issue since the Marvel relaunches.

Mike Deodato, maybe the best artist working in comics, provides the pictures are they are typically awesome. The story is action packed & at least somewhat viable to those who only care about the movies (not like some of the comics that stretch your eyes abilities to roll).

The series will continue through the next 3 issues of Darth Vader (#13 is already available, picking up where the special left off) and 2 issues of Star Wars, meaning the complete run will be 6 issues. If you haven't ventured into the universe of new SW comics yet, you're not going to get a better issue to start with than the Vader Down special - highest possible recommendation.  :rockon:

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2015, 02:29:32 PM »

Well both main series have completed their initial 12 issues and we've arrived at the first crossover - "Vader Down".

I just read the special lead-in issue (not a part of either series, but a stand alone special appropriately entitled "Vader Down" - it has a #1 on the cover even though there won't be a series). Simply put - this was by far the best single issue since the Marvel relaunches.

Mike Deodato, maybe the best artist working in comics, provides the pictures are they are typically awesome. The story is action packed & at least somewhat viable to those who only care about the movies (not like some of the comics that stretch your eyes abilities to roll).

The series will continue through the next 3 issues of Darth Vader (#13 is already available, picking up where the special left off) and 2 issues of Star Wars, meaning the complete run will be 6 issues. If you haven't ventured into the universe of new SW comics yet, you're not going to get a better issue to start with than the Vader Down special - highest possible recommendation.  :rockon:
Agreed!  The Vader series is one of the best but right along side it is the Kanan series.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2015, 05:38:55 PM »

I'll have to check it out.  I read a good review online, as well, but nothing compares to two thumbs up from fellow troopers! :)` :)`

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2016, 11:49:51 PM »

Just finished Darth Vader 25, which brings the series to a close.... for now. I think they did a pretty solid job of wrapping things up. The Han Solo limited series may or may not be over with issue 4 which was also released today - I haven't read it yet. In my mind, the limited series bearing the names of OT characters (Leia, Chewbacca, Lando & a C3PO 1 shot so far) have all be "just ok". I wouldn't rush to find them, but would recommend trade paperbacks on clearance if one encountered such a thing.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2016, 07:01:53 PM »

I have been picking everything up in TPB so far.  I have enjoyed most of it, although the Vader one was the best of those that I have read.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2016, 06:48:24 AM »

The 5 issue Han Solo miniseries has come to an end. Like the other series created for specific characters, this one wasn't too bad - but I wouldn't call it required reading or anything unless you can find a well-priced collected edition. This is the series George Lucas came out & said he was enjoying to the media a few weeks ago.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2017, 09:57:55 PM »

Just finished Shattered Empire issue 4…Spoiler…

I just finished the Shattered Empire graphic  novel a couple of days ago.  I'm not gonna lie, I never clued in to the spoiler connection that you mentioned.  I'm gonna blame it on the fact that I get up at 4:00 every morning and I was falling asleep when I was reading it. 

I would give it a 5/10.  Nothing too notable there other than the Emperors plan to destroy certain planets should he be overthrown.  In my mind the Emperor would have several "trophies" left over from the jedi temple and I would picture Luke going after them. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58:22 PM »

In case anyone has considered checking out the comics, but feels overwhelmed in the comic shop environment (you're not alone), here's a page showing the collected editions for the main series - looks like 6 volumes have been released so far.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_(Marvel_2015)

Vader down, though it looks thin on included issues, actually includes a Special issue as well as 2 issues from the Darth Vader series, so it would be a good deal. I would recommend checking amazon prices for these before heading to the comic shop, as there can be some very good deals found.... from time to time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:01:00 PM by jjreason »

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2018, 10:57:35 PM »

Finally picked up the hard cover for Darth Vader (vol 1).  Chapters .ca had it for about $10 off.  I guess that's as good as it's gonna get.  I have the soft cover versions of Vol 1 and Vol 2 (the hard cover contains both vol 1 and vol 2 plus more) but I prefer the hard covers now.  I've got a few older soft covers that are falling apart (Death of Superman, Cable, etc..).

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2018, 07:33:44 AM »

I really liked Darth Vader vol 1, especially the Vader Down story. I will eventually try to replace my comics with collections - hardcover if I can get them at a decent price.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2018, 07:16:10 PM »

hardcover if I can get them at a decent price.

That's the tricky part.  It takes a lot of patience. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169306
  • Total Topics: 14357
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 80
Total: 82

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 40 queries.