Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 08:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

51 Guests, 5 Users

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars The Force Awakens **SPOILERS** **BEWARE SPOILERS** **SPOILERS**  (Read 12885 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars The Force Awakens **SPOILERS** **BEWARE SPOILERS** **SPOILERS**
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2016, 09:24:52 PM »

I strongly feel someone will have to utter "No, I am your father. " at some point, it's just a matter of who!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2016, 10:12:06 AM »

I strongly feel someone will have to utter "No, I am your father. " at some point, it's just a matter of who!
Maybe R2-D2 to BB-8?  :P

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2016, 02:12:11 PM »

So how long do you think until Disney starts to retcon things from the episodes 1-6?
I honestly would not put it past them - nothing is sacred when the almighty dollar is in question.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »

I'm hoping that they don't necessarily retcon but might just cleverly repurpose. I feel like there are some moments in TFA that point in the direction of the prequels and yet seem to have me feeling a new "energy" emanating from them that I never got while watching them on their own. Like they are being used as the manure with which to grow new crops! Of course, I'm not fan of the PT so saying I wouldn't care if they retcon the PT might seem harsh for someone who does. I know if they retconned the OT I might be bent out of shape unless of course they completely remake it. If they decide to remake it (I doubt they will any time in the near future anyway) then all bets are off.

I wonder though if Disney is that kind of company. If I think about their other properties, they don't usually reboot. Its like (so far) they respect the work as having an aura as the original. I wonder if that's why they are introducing new "heroes" into the Marvel films like Avengers so as the actors playing the big heavies age they won't have to reboot and can simply keep moving forward (unlike the comics they adapt from). In that way maybe the OT and the PT will be forever the only version we will see and everything else will be around/between them? Like Snow White is Disney's Snow White, Pinocchio is Pinnichio, they're the same ones our parents saw and our kids saw and their kids will probably see to.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:49:36 PM by sinkie »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »

I think they've already seen the type of backlash they face for ANY retconning - the militant wing of the EU Support nation was off the rails, trying to get folks to boycott the film in honour of their memories of Jaina & Jacen solo. I think if they went any further & started retconning the films themselves, they could very seriously risk alienating the millions of us that comprise the cash cow & compromise the ability of the franchise to keep earning the way it earns.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2016, 03:06:17 PM »

I agree.  I think the OT is set in stone indefinitely, and likely the PT for better or worse.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »

Saw it again yesterday in IMAX and it is getting better each time. Han's death seems more and more poignant. The criticism that we could all see it coming is moot. Of course we could. That is exactly how that scene was constructed. Han knows he's probably going to die. You can see it on Ford's face as he makes the decision to go and call out to him. It's both the heroic and fatherly thing to do. Its self-sacrifice for your child and your family. The only "shock" was perhaps getting the audience to have a sliver of doubt once Kylo hands the saber to him. But even then, if you were still someone who "saw it coming"...that's far from a storytelling problem more a problem of "only so many ways this could play out and still be in line with the demands of this story universe". Han's self-sacrifice is possibly one of the most realistic and saddest moments in the entire saga for me now. I feel it is a shame that it is getting the criticism that it does (I blame the prequels for making us cynical about SW in general and creating the sport of trying to tear anything SW and new a "new one"!)

I'm also getting more and more convinced Rey is Luke's daughter. While watching the film it seems so obvious. Its only later that one can, beyond the influence of everything in the film, start to speculate on other options I think. And seeing it in IMAX allowed me to see the tears in Luke's eyes for the first time and that too read as something that points to that relationship. I do hope they don't make a big "reveal" out of it in the next film other than, perhaps, a reveal to Kylo.

But...I also am getting more convinced that it was a younger Kylo Ren who put Rey on Jakku! I mean, he would have been less far down the dark path and perhaps he could not bring himself to kill his young cousin so instead he permanently banishes her, getting her to a place where she is told wait for your family...who will never come and she will stay there out of his hair and out of the reach of Snoke (because she will not awaken). There is event he shot of the ship leaving her panning up to a red rectangle in the sky that looks suspiciously like the front "light" on Kylo's shuttle. It did not have to exist at that time, its not necessarily a memory, but rather a visual cue in the vision of who left her there...a motif rather than a recall of something she saw. Also it would make sense that Kylo would be ok with leaving her with the mean junk dealer versus Luke or anyone else being ok with it. They would have probably found a gentler guardian.

And the criticism that Rey and Finn are too skilled with lightsabers...not at all what we see in the film. Rey survives both battles with Kylo (until she calls on the Force) by slashing wildly and running away. Hardly skilled sword play! Finn gets his butt kicked both against the stormtrooper with the melee weapon and slashes/runs with Kylo until he is quite quickly sliced up the back! The only success he has with the saber is when he sneaks up on a trooper and spears him, requiring no swordsmanship at all!

And the film feels more and more original to me now with each viewing. You can really see that the OT similarities are just "plot" stuff and that everything else is shiny and new...the characters, the tone, the themes even feel different honestly. There is something deeper in them to me now. Like I'm really not sure what Kylo is actually up to. I'm thinking he knows that to end the Dark side he needs to become it. I feel like he wants to contain both the light and the dark so he is not limiting himself in his quest to be able to "do it all"...be the best and kill off Snoke and end the endless conflict. Its a working theory anyway.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2016, 04:47:59 PM »

Very similar to my lines of thinking on almost every point. I was 100 percent sure Rey was Luke's daughter, but I've backed off just a little bit. I really like the theory that the Knights of Ren slaughtered her parents & that she's just being kept safe otherwise, it kind of expands the universe in a fashion if the Skywalker family isn't the "only" Jedi family.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2016, 06:22:20 PM »

I like that theory better than most but man, each time I watch the film...just seems so obvious. All the lightsaber calls to you (like it did Luke and his father...and now...you!). And then the theme music in the final duel being Luke's and that last scene. I don't know. It just seems like the reveal will be FOR Kylo and not the audience in the next film (if he has not figured it out already). Kind of a throw away reveal like Kylo being Ben was.

I didn't think Maz's line about you know your family will not come back but someone can...meant "family is dead". But each time I hear it onscreen I think she means they didn't know you were there, any family you have, and were never coming back but you can bring someone else who is lost back...who is family. that she can bring "family back"...ie Luke. And then having her believed dead by Luke (rescued by Ben from his own evil, spared if you will) would make sense. Implant in her the sense she can't ever leave Jakku and she's safe from both Snoke, Ben's own fate as a Skywalker as well as removing her as a potential obstacle to his plans (whatever they maybe be...complex or simply purely evil) in the long run. But oops! Fate, destiny and/or the Force has brought her back into the game!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2016, 11:33:45 PM »

I don't know who originated this image, but I thought it was funny...

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »

:rollfloorlaffsmiley:
Nice!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:53:57 PM by brianakarobin »

SciFiEric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2016, 09:36:03 PM »

LOL  :tongue0024:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169081
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 51
Total: 56

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.