Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 10:15:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars The Force Awakens **SPOILERS** **BEWARE SPOILERS** **SPOILERS**  (Read 12877 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars The Force Awakens
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »

Yep Mark Hamill's voice 100 percent. I'm also going to suggest it's 100 percent Leia receiving the lightsaber, though to what end we can only guess. I don't see her jumping around like Yoda at the end of AOTC - let's put it that way. Peter Mayhew wasn't moving well when I saw him at San Diego Comic Con, and that was in 2005 - I can only imagine how much that large frame has broken down since then. I honestly would have never guessed he would have lived this long after seeing him back then - he looked horrible.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 08:42:35 PM »

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

SciFiEric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »

I like it. Sept 4 is not too far off and u know it'll most likely show up early.  :artoo:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »

Entertainment Weekly has some new photos! The armoured beast with rider is very toy-worthy and generally awesome IMO!

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »

For those who have seen the eps7 C3PO, please join me in groaning over the pointless change in his look (you can almost hear Hasbro salivating at the cheap repaint opportunity this provides  :speechless-smiley-004:)

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 10:59:57 PM »

I'm reserving judgement on the arm until I see the film. Obviously it could be a marketing thing with a story idea attached to it after the fact to sell it to us as something deeper than a reason to buy a new threepio but I figure if the worst thing about the new film ends up being the inexplicable red arm? We'll all be ok with it eventually. If we find out our heroes are basically part of an underground movement, on the run maybe with Threeopio having taken some damaged before Ep 7 and needing a quick repair? I'm fine with it. Honestly, just seeing the two droids unchanged might be a bit more groan worthy. Sure they are machines but still, some sort of evidence they've been through over, what? 70 years of adventuring? I would think they'd look a little bit more "used galaxy" at this point!

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 03:04:19 AM »

I'm cynical, the cosmetic changes are to make the licensees happy with some easy repaints of existing molds (Chewie, both droids, who knows who else... Boba?)  These OT sequels exist solely to sell us (or our kids) merch. Much like with Terminator, there really wasn't a compelling reason to continue the story past the "happily ever after" of RotJ or T2.

That's not to say I'm not happy to have the ST, but jeez, I wish some things would just stay the same even if it is 30 years later. That's the old man in me talking, and probably the cynic that worries there's just too many opportunies going forward to really mess up the OT gang by "updating them" to modern sensibilities or making them too dark or making them old & bitter, worn out/strung out, you name it.

If you read the article about why JJ wanted to do eps7, namely to answer the question of Who is Luke Skywalker? that's the kind of the thing that gets me a bit fearful as to what this implies for the next 3 movies (or 5?). I've stayed away from the vast majority of rumors, so this is just speculation, but I do hope this doesn't go the route of Luke somehow turning out to be Kylo Ren or having gone "dark" and Han+gang+kids trying to redeem him, and he dies a la Anakin in RotJ and becomes a happy force ghost.  There aren't a lot of ways to answer the question of who Luke is, other than to push him down the road that his father took... I'd rather he simply be closer to Old Ben from ANH and stay as an enlightened mentor to the next gen. If the stewards of Star Wars must mess up any characters, do it to the new generation, not the one that we cherish and hold dear.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »

Don't get me wrong, like I said, of course the arm is marketing first…story a distant second. But that's a given and like I said, maybe the prequels still sting, but just seeing the two droids show up "as is" also feels a bit cheap, like, here they are again because you love them! It's still that but….with a red arm! Something must have changed! Or like I said over on rebelscum, maybe Chewie and him actually got around to a Dejarik match and Threepio won!

Also, if the film overall is great, such marketing ploys will probably bother me a whole lot less! Kind of like how Jabba's palace was chock full of weird aliens, even more than the cantina, or the Ewoks being cute cuddly teddy bears instead of Wookies…that was marketing too and I was fine with it because I liked the film.

As for Luke, I don't know, I don't want him to go dark and become THE villain but being troubled, uncertain, feeling like a problem waiting to happen (or maybe a problem that did happen and that's why he's exiled himself) could work. I always had the sense at the end of ROTJ that things weren't totally perfect with him even after seeing his Dad as a ghost. Like it was a potential first step clearing a major hurdle with more to come, dealing with his inheritance etc. He seemed both literally and figuratively apart from the rest of the group, lots on his mind, not ready to totally celebrate until he was coaxed to join in. But I'd also be cool with him being basically wise and ready to help out once convinced he's got a role to play and that any danger he represents needs to be risked. I guess for me it wouldn't change who I thought Luke was or could be.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 04:15:19 PM »

Yeah I did also feel as if Luke had a lot on his mind at the end of RotJ (moreso to do with the huge task ahead of rebuilding the Jedi order, having to scout the galaxy for potential candidates that would not succumb to the dark side and risk repeating the cycle again).

Reading the brief synopsis for Shattered Empire, it feels a bit, I don't know, depressing to believe the galactic civil war basically just continued on right after the destruction of DS2 non-stop. I prefer the original Marvel run where they covered "the day after" and at least there was a period where our heroes actually got to enjoy their victory and relax (and plan for the rise of the new republic).  The peace didn't last long but I did like that it truly felt like the war had been won before the next war then began.

I can understand that if RotJ was not the "happy ending" but rather just another (big) step in what could be a decades-long struggle towards victory, then Luke could eventually tire of fighting the enemy the same old way and experiment with a darker path towards achieving success and then fall to the wayside inadvertantly.

We'll see... someone on the forum mentioned that what happens to Luke (or the other heroes) may very well forever alter how we look back at the original OT films, but I hope that's not the case. I don't savor the idea of watching RotJ in 20 years after episodes 7 to 11 and saying to myself, "Damn it, in the end Luke did become as evil as the Emperor wanted him to be." or "Han survived carbon freezing just to die 30 years later shot in a duel with Greedo's son."  blah blah. 

Whatever happens to these guys in the films to come, I hope the big wigs understand that most fans probably don't want their OT legacy to be tainted with whatever possible craziness stems from the ST films for the sake of modern "character exploration". Keep them true to how we know them, don't turn Han into wife-cheating alcoholic, or Leia into an ice queen cut off from her emotions and her family, hooked on drugs (oh wait...), etc.  I always felt as though these characters were excellent role models for kids, your basic paragons of virtue... they may face temptation and obstacles but it doesn't destroy them, they retain their basic kindness and goodness.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »

Whoa. The first photo of eps7 Luke has now come out!  He does not look like a bad guy at least. Go here:

http://io9.com/luke-skywalker-is-a-true-jedi-master-in-his-first-photo-1723975374

and io9 also has a feature about the upcoming Han Solo movie:
http://io9.com/the-president-of-lucasfilm-eases-our-worries-about-han-1723972600

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:06:11 PM by napseeker »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »

It was taken down!

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:34:18 PM by napseeker »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 12:13:33 PM »

My 5 year old told me today as I dropped him off at kindergarten that he dreamed last night that we went to the new film! Pretty sure he liked it! He's obviously wishing like the rest of us that it would get here sooner. He specifically mentioned seeing Kylo Ren on screen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169079
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 83
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 57
Total: 59

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.