Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 01:03:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

58 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars The Force Awakens **SPOILERS** **BEWARE SPOILERS** **SPOILERS**  (Read 12928 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars The Force Awakens
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 02:46:53 PM »

I read an io9.com article the other day indicating that so far we've only seen 1/3 of the toys that are to come for TFA.

Obviously there are toys that pertain to the OT cast that would be spoilers for the movie if they were shown off at this stage, but man, I really don't look forward to how much potential spending might still be to come when Luke, Han, Leia, etc. all come out in their 4" and 6" scales...
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 06:30:17 PM »

I'm way late weighing in here, and first of all, this may possibly contain spoilers, but it may not be a spoiler at all, as it is just speculation on my part to counter some speculation earlier in this thread, but to be fair to anyone sensitive...

Potential Spoilers below...

The whole "Who is Luke Skywalker" bit, to me, isn't about us figuring out who Luke is, it's about many people in the galaxy not knowing who he is.  I'm just guessing, but in the trailer, when Han is talking to Rey and Finn, he says "It's true - all of it" talking about the Jedi and the Force, etc.  So, it's like these people somehow don't know who Luke Skywalker is, the Hero of the Rebellion.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »

People in Australia over on rebelscum.com are basically giving it positive reviews (without giving any details)! I think though starting tomorrow I'm not going anywhere near the internet other than my own email until I see it Friday.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »

I'll add the SPOILERS tag to the title. Let's talk about the movie - I'm dying hear about what you liked & didn't like.... for me there was VERY little that I didn't like. I really couldn't have imagined I'd be this pleased with it, but I am. Fan-flipping-tastic movie.

Why was I so pleased? Without giving away key plot points just yet, I'll say the following:

1. Great dialogue. Maybe not quite as "risque" as Guardians of the Galaxy for example, but it was quick witted & snappy. Really, really good.

2. I developed a great affinity for the new characters very quickly - Finn, Rey, Poe & Kylo were all great performances & I want to learn more about all of them.

3. Mas Kanata's palace & Lipita Ndongo's (Sorry about the spelling, deary, I will look it up & correct it at some point) performance as that character were outstanding. So much to see in the palace, it was a very fitting addition to the creature scenes which are such a touchstone in the SW universe.

4. The dramatic setting at the climax (meaning the bridge, not the forest - which was also amazing). Yeah, I would say I knew how that was going to play out - but they still made you hope for a different result in a very real way. It looked beautiful.... and it really hurt.

I know people will say the plot was recycled & to a certain extent I would agree - but honestly, I didn't care. I was just happy to meet the new characters & realize I cared about them. I really can't wait to see where they take it.

Aside - Thomas (my son) and I were joking that Snoke was modeled after the villain from the Skylanders video games for kids.  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:00:00 AM by jjreason »

Artaban

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars The Force Awakens **SPOILERS** **BEWARE SPOILERS** **SPOILERS**
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2015, 08:36:09 AM »

Well, I saw the movie yesterday and I liked it, overall.

SPOILERS----->

Now, this is my personal insight about some details of the movie. I'm not saying that the movie sucked, because it was good (better than the prequels, for sure).

A thing I didn't like is the "Mother of the Death Stars" appearing. I mean, even with the first Death Star, it was extremely more difficult to destroy it. Maybe the Dark Side has the obsession to create big weapons, but at least the first one was way more difficult to destroy. I remembered this video: https://youtu.be/agcRwGDKulw  :)

But the thing I dislike the most was the performance of Adam Driver. I was hoping to see a troubled and conflicted Kylo Ren, but for some moments I couldn't avoid to feel the same sensation I have when I see a spoiled brat crying. I was wondering how old Kylo is supposed to be? The lightsaber fights seem forced to me. Even the Stormtrooper that fights Finn had better moves and the "Awakening of the force" on Rei seemed too "forced". The Mind trick scene was funny as hell, but, how did she do that? I know Kylo wasn't fully instructed, but come on, Rei shouldn't be better than him.

I know that a lot of these things will be explained at least in the next movie, but it made this one a little difficult to digest.

In the other side, Rei's acting was great, also Finn's. They made easy to greet them in the Star Wars universe. Lots of emotions when the old characters appeared.

Overall, as I said, I think it was a good movie. Best than the prequels. Don't think I complaining, even the OT has things that I didn't like, as the scene when everybody discovers that Palpatine had the same weakness that the turtles whem they are on its back.  ;D

cmkjmacd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • You must unlearn what you have learned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2015, 11:30:06 AM »

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Ok. Very good movie. The whole Starkiller base being a planet that contains a star. Like how did they come with that. It took over 20 yrs just to build the first Death Star. When did they start building that beast back in the days before the Old Republic. And the who the Hell is Rey's parents? It would seem obvious that Luke is her dad, however, when you see the secne of Leia giving Rey a hug after Han's death, that seems more like a motherly kind of hug vs an aunt or a friend. They really played up the fact that Rey could be Han and Leia's daughter, which is why they left her on Jakku to protect her from her older brother Ben/ Kylo. I have a strong feeling that she is Luke's daughter because of the final scene, however...  I loved the part about Han wanting to know if there was a garbage chute particularly one with a trash compactor in it to throw Capt. Plasma down. Anyone catch the Clone reference in there as well. Lastly, who was Supreme Leader Snoke's master and is it possible that he is some how Palpatine reincarnated/ Clone.

klown23

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »

Is it me or I missed Constable Zuvio? Come on, they did a Black Series figure based on him and he's just a stand up?

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2015, 12:38:03 PM »

Yeah, man no kidding - and all that fuss about Capt. Phasma is going to blow over REALLY quickly now - she barely spoke & didn't do a damned thing.  :speechless-smiley-004:

klown23

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »

Yeah, man no kidding - and all that fuss about Capt. Phasma is going to blow over REALLY quickly now - she barely spoke & didn't do a damned thing.  :speechless-smiley-004:

Well she has my money  :D Nice looking figure even she had no big role... Maybe in two years?

Crossing fingers for 50$ Bad-Ass-long-extended-director's cut

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 05:14:15 PM »

I give it a 7 out of 10.  I am really disappoint in JJ Abrams - poor choice .   The Big Han Solo scene was the low point of the movie.  And I and Harrison Ford wanted it to happen.
I would rank all the others movies better than this one.  In the past I have been a big big fan of Disney but now that has all been erased .   What did look like it could be really good is the Super Man vs. Bat Man movie.   The characters I care about are Luke, Rey and BB8.
The last scene gave me hope that a new director and the fact it will focus on Luke and Rey may make it a much better movie. Kylo Ren sucks, Poe shoot him down.  How they named the other guy, who I can't remember now was stupid.  I sort of care about him.  The Silver Trooper Commander was a waist of time.   And the new Emperor was the worst.  Visually I liked the movie.  Going down the sand dune, the 3D big shot of Command Ship.    But you can tell the movie was not made by someone with a new vision, it was made by someone trying to replicate the genius of George Lucus.  And he failed.   
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:16:17 PM by Canadian Jedi »
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 05:39:17 PM »

I just wanted to add to what I was saying about the scene between Kylo Ren and Han Solo.  So lets talk about innovation. Oh lets have father and son meet on a bridge structure  hanging over an mechanical abyss.  Sort of like JJ big idea was to redo the Darth Vader and Luke scene.    And the biggest whimp Kylo Ren - gets beat up by a tiny little girl is the guy to take out Han Solo.    You don't end Han Solo like that - Han Solo dies because he sacrifices himself to save Leia, Luke Chewie or maybe a planet full of people.  And by the way I really wanted to see Han Solo die.  Luke you are my only hope - save Star Wars from the mouse.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »

Well, Han did die trying to save his son, and maybe we'll see later that it was not in vain - who knows?

I actually liked that scene, although I saw what was coming a mile away. 

I definitely agree with the Phasma stuff - all the hype for that?!?!  I wonder if she is even in Episode 8?

I also wonder how big Snoke is.  His hologram is huge, but so was the emperor's in episode 5.  I hope he's not really that big...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2015, 07:05:08 PM »

I would have bet the house Han wasn't going to make it - that's what I meant in the other thread. I was pretty much convinced they were going to find Chewie's remains too - I thought he would have stayed close to Han until he had breathed his last. When he showed up to rescue Rey, I was almost more surprised than I was pleased (which I was - I didn't want him to die).

I loved the lightsaber battle in the snowy forest with the trees. Folks have posted that it wasn't dynamic or similar sentiment - but it captured for me very nicely how she was just basically defending herself from the onslaught at first, then turned the tide a little bit toward the end. Finn's style with the blade was good - he looked a little rough around the edges with it & that's suitable. I don't doubt that they'll choose to have him be force sensitive as well moving forward

My minor issues (and I'll also try to explain how I'm resolving them for myself so that they don't bug me, because I love the Marvel "no prize" concept):

- Poe & Finn shouldn't have re-encountered each other until after they met near the X-Wing - that would have been a nice recreation of the Luke & Biggs scene - fine either way, but they missed a small chance at an OT homage

- as described by someone else, Rey REALLY fell into using her powers well very quickly - obviously she's quite powerful & maybe Kylo's prodding hit her in a spot that allowed her to "feel" where she could access the force on her own & learn to reach out with it more quickly than someone who isn't being mind probed

- R2 coming back to life when he chose to, I will have to watch it again to see what exactly happened there - maybe he sensed the missing part of the map?

- I guess Chewie becomes Rey's sidekick, no other reason for him to stick around really - unless his life-debt transfers to Leia?

- Everything happened REALLY fast - it was completely mentally exhausting for me. There was basically no time to catch my breath before the action was on again. Maybe the home version will stretch it out a little bit (allowing perhaps for Capt. Phasma to actually do something - ANYTHING????)

- General Hux or whatever looked way too young - which simply means I am way too old.  :(

- my first impression of Snoke wasn't good either, but he grew on me a little bit. I literally thought he was a giant, likely much later in the film than I was supposed to - I was very relieved to finally see the hologram flicker. I foresee him dawning the robes of the Emperor as we progress in this story

My "big" questions:

- who was the old guy at the start that had the map and what was his relation to Luke?

- so they blew the First Order Suncrusher/Death Star/Starkiller Base & that was all well & good - but exactly how much of that group is left to continue the battle for the Dark Side?

- who were Rey's parents & what happened? I'm sure they'll explore this & purposefully left us with just enough to be curious

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2015, 12:16:19 AM »

Yeah is Kylo Ren Snoke's only "pupil" or is there a whole "outer rim" empire about to reign down upon the Republic? What happened to the other dudes with Ren in the flashback? Who is Rey's mom? What pushed Ren over the edge? How did the First Order really get going? The novel Aftermath hints that the Emperor had people doing Sith-research all along in uncharted territories. What was going on all that time in the days from the PT until now? Did the imperial remnant go and merge with whatever that became? How much of that will be in spin-off material and how much will be in the next film?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:40:45 AM by sinkie »

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2015, 02:57:04 PM »

Just got back. Loved it. It felt star wars. From the characters to the humor to the epic battles and chase scenes.

It wasn't perfect. There were a few eyebrow raising moments but not enough to get annoyed by.

A LOT to process. Not sure how well it will stand up in the long run but first impressions are it was a great ride and I am left wanting more.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169097
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 58
Total: 60

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 38 queries.