Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 24, 2018, 06:29:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

67 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasbro Canada  (Read 1631 times)

cmkjmacd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • You must unlearn what you have learned!
    • View Profile
Hasbro Canada
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:43:51 AM »

Alright so I would really like to know what is truely up with HasCan. Ever since I have started collecting (Phantom Menace Line), we have always been screwed on not getting certain waves of figures, be it the last to waves in a line or just skipping a wave and going onto to the next. Now I know the old bs lines of Canada is a smaller market compared to the US, the whole trilingual thingy ( sorry but its only french and english in Canada), but seriously that doesnt excuse it. I also know that it isnt just Star Wars or Hasbro that does this. I can also see the excuse that gets made that the average parent doesn't care about certain waves being missed becuase the average parent isnt a collector but really. Come on this is 2015 not 1999. Technology...  If parents are not going on line and looking things up and going hey maybe that would be a cool thing for my child, but wait I cant find it here in Canada. Or kids going on line and saying hey there's an Ezra figure that I want but can't find it here, mom how come I cant find this here.  I really think that it is time that toy makers take a look at if you want to continue to bring in the almighty dollar from Canadians then you need to sell the same stuff here in Canada as you do in the States. Why do you think Target Canada failed? To further add to it in previous Q&As that we have had with them (not sure if it was HasCan or HasUs) we have told them what some of the issues are ie waves being missed, but yet it still keeps happening.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:54:36 PM by cmkjmacd »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:27:26 PM »

I think it has to do with the ordering process for some of the big retailers. Certain other will certainly know more, but I believe TRU is big on placing huge initial orders for product & thus not needing to reorder stuff by the time the later waves become available from the supplier.... because they've still got a glut of their original order at the warehouse. I don't know if that's the same idea with HasCan ordering from the US or not.

jmac

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »

I've been thinking about this in regards to the Jedi Temple Guard wave not coming to Canada, and I wonder if part of the reason why we don't get certain waves could be due to character selection. Retailers may look at waves, like the Saga Legends wave that I just mentioned, and think "these characters are a bunch of nobodies." When they have the option of taking the next wave instead, which contains Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, they will of course take the wave with the big names. I could be 100% wrong here, but I remember the last time that Hasbro Canada skipped a Saga Legends wave, it was was another 'nobody' wave (at least in the retailers eyes), containing three troopers and Boba Fett. I really don't know why Hasbro Canada doesn't just get all waves, but anyway, this is my theory.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:44:24 PM »

Honestly you're giving them too much credit I'm afraid. It's all about when their electronic system advises someone it's time to place a reorder these days, and that would only happen once they drop below some magical number in stock at the warehouse. I don't think anyone there even considers what people want other than "star wars figures" - they blindly trust hasbro to send them stuff that will sell beyond that. Maybe they should look more closely.....  :mad0177:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:54:33 PM »

I agree with JR, the retailers probably have some initial say about the characters in the first or second wave (I do recall hearing that the Walmart buyer would balk at certain character choices saying they were not well-known) BUT overall a chain like TRU probably doesn't care.

As for TRU ordering a massive amount of the first wave, I believe the reason they do that is because Hasbro offers them a big discount if they order a certain minimum amount. I'd assume this is enticement for the retailer to make the order and put the product on their shelves, hoping that it proves popular enough that the retailer will reorder future waves.  In other words, the discount is a "get the foot in the door" move... but it leads to too much wave1 and disappointing or non-existent future wave orders.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 11:59:51 PM »

Honestly you're giving them too much credit I'm afraid. It's all about when their electronic system advises someone it's time to place a reorder these days, and that would only happen once they drop below some magical number in stock at the warehouse. I don't think anyone there even considers what people want other than "star wars figures" - they blindly trust hasbro to send them stuff that will sell beyond that. Maybe they should look more closely.....  :mad0177:
Yup, this is my understanding. Waves have been skipped since the POTF2 line emerged in the 90s. Often it is the last wave of a line that gets skipped because of this process. By the time Canadian retail is ready for new stock, that last wave gets skipped because the first wave of a new line is already ready for order. This is also why we always get wave 1 of any line and often at roughly the same time as in the US. When starting from zero, there is no glut of back-stock. All the subsequent waves rely on sales to clear inventory to make way for the new wave. Simple as that.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »

TRU actually orders large quantities of all the waves.  The problem lies in ordering too much of the first wave, sitting on stock that doesn't sell and then cancelling or modifying subsequent orders to avoid sitting on too much stock through the rest of the year.  They have done it the same way for too many years unfortunately.  Having access to the future orders and their expected arrival dates (into the warehouse), I would watch as orders would be cancelled as they came up for delivery due to too many 6 boobed ladies and meena tills sitting on the pegs....

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »

Extremely interesting, thanks for the insight!  :)`

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »

:)`
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169431
  • Total Topics: 14376
  • Online Today: 92
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 67
Total: 70

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 39 queries.