Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 17, 2018, 02:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

83 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars Celebration news  (Read 2647 times)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
Star Wars Celebration news
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »

I'm starting this to share news from Celebration Anaheim.  Feel free to chime in.

The big thing on Day 1 was the opening panel.  The trailer was awesome!  My favorite quote at the panel was when JJ Abrams got asked by a fan how he was going to please every single one of the millions of Star Wars fans out there with Episode 7.  Instead of the standard line like "you can't please everyone", he responds with "We just are"!  Rock on!

During the line to wait for the panel the night before, JJ Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy bought several hundred pizzas for all the fans camping out.  Pretty classy IMHO.

My family and I (only the two older boys and my wife came this time) did the Bounty Hunt in the afternoon.  You are given Star Wars clues, puzzles, etc. to solve that will lead you to a bounty, and you have to get a stamp from them to show you found them.  We did pretty well - we got 9/12, but the winning team got all 12 (but there were no kids on that team).  They have one specifically for families with children on Sunday, so we may try it again.

They showed Episodes 1 and 2 in 3D last night.  Unfortunately, I didn't feel well by that point and had to leave, but my 14 year old stayed.  Tonight is Episode 3 in 3D.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Celebration news
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 04:39:59 PM »

Thanks for the update, we are living vicariously through you & other troopers out there! I'm sure it was madness to be around that many fans during & after the trailer - rest assured there were pulses pounding up here as well! Hope you feel 100% for the rest of the trip!

FETT1

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Whack the Zom-B!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »

BIG THANKS...Saw the trailer with HAN / CHEWIE...AwwwwwESOMeeeee...chills chills chills...don't wanna get to excited .......................................YET !
 :fett:

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »

Felt better (not 100%, though) yesterday.  We went to the exhibit hall to start the day (after the monster line to get in, which fortunately moved pretty quick).  The first thing we went to after that was "Ray Park: The man, the sith, the legend".  It was good.  He seems like a great guy.  James Arnold Taylor was the host, who of course voices Obi-Wan in the Clone Wars, so they had some banter back and forth about Obi-Wan killing Darth Maul.  Ray Park even brought a modified clip of the way things should have ended - it showed the scene near the end when those energy gates closed and separated Maul, Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan.  Then, when they opened, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul start fighting, and Obi-Wan then starts running super fast to get there, but can't stop and runs right into the pit!  He also revealed that his inspiration for the face he makes when he dies was having a number 2 on the toilet!  He said he'd never pretended to die before, and that was the only thing he could think of in terms of the expression that he would make :P
Sadly, we missed a number of things we wanted to do yesterday due to lines.  We missed the show with Carrie Fisher (it was right after Ray Park, so by the time we got out, the Carrie Fisher show was full).  We briefly went to a thing by fantasy flight games (who do the RPG, miniature games, etc.) but I found it kind of boring (they were talking more about where they got their ideas rather than what they were actually doing).  I then wanted to go to this one called "One Big Story" where people from the Lucasfilm Storygroup talk about the new cannon.  I was really pumped about it, but I guess others were, as well, and so it filled up before we got to the front of the line.  We then just looked around the exhibit hall some more (really, you could probably spend all 4 days there and not see it all!).  The only complaint I have about it is there seems to be a lack of vintage stuff.  I've hardly seen any MOC vintage here.  Usually, there are tons.
Anyway, we ended the day by going to the world premiere of Episode III in 3D.  It was pretty cool.  The 3D is a bit more eye-popping then what they did in episode I. 
Hopefully, today I will see more cool stuff to fill you in on.  However, it is going to be packed - the 4-day badges were sold out before the show, and shortly after it started, the Saturday badges were sold out.  So, it will be at max capacity! :speechless-smiley-004:

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »

thanks for sharing your experience. We would all love to be there...maybe one day.

The long line ups seem like a pain - especially to only find out something is at capacity. I hoped it would be better organized - at the very least, have people sign up for stuff ahead of time online. That way you can plan your whole trip without worrying about missing something you really wanted to do...

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »

thanks for sharing your experience. We would all love to be there...maybe one day.

The long line ups seem like a pain - especially to only find out something is at capacity. I hoped it would be better organized - at the very least, have people sign up for stuff ahead of time online. That way you can plan your whole trip without worrying about missing something you really wanted to do...
I totally agree.  I have been thinking of different ways to pre-register so I can give them some ideas so, maybe, next time will work better

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »

Some great stuff on Saturday.  It was packed, but we still managed to get to most of the things we wanted to.  In the morning, we went up to a room where they had props, costumes, etc. on display from The Force Awakens.  It was pretty awesome.  I will add some of the pics here, although you can go on my Facebook page to see more (tell me you are on snow troopers.ca to add me as a friend - Brian Gareth Moses).  The Facebook pictures are better, as I had to reduce the file size to fit on here.  Doesn't the trooper on the right look like a snow trooper?

Next, we made our customary stop to the R2 builders room, which is always awe-inspiring.  They had some awesome droids in their.  Again, check out my Facebook page to see them.

After that, we saw this great audio drama written and directed by Kyle Newman, the guy who made Fanboys.  It was called Smuggler's Bounty, and is the sequel to one he did at Celebration 6 called Smuggler's Gambit.  It is an original story about Han Solo, and they had voice actors reading the script live.  They had a great cast, including many from the clone wars - Matt Lanter (Anankin Skywalker), James Arnold Taylor (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Plo Koon, and others), Tom Kane (Yoda and many others), Dee Bradley Baker (the clone troopers), Matthew Wood (Battle droids, plus Grievous in ROTS), Catherine Taber (Padme), and Sam Witwer (Darth Maul).  In addition, they had David W. Collins (wh has voiced people on many SW video games, and did a great Han Solo in this one), and two stars from the TV show "Hart of Dixie" - Jaime King and Scott Porter.  Why Hart of DIxie?  Well, Kyle Newman is married to Jaime King, so there's the connection.  Anyway, the script was actually good, the dialogue was true to the OT characters for the most part, and the cast did a great job with it.  The sound effects and music were perfect.  Overall, it was a great show.

After that, we went up to a Del-Rey panel, and they revealed some of their up and coming stuff, including a series starting in September - the novel is titled "Aftermath", and will deal with events after ROTJ, which will be neat, as it is meant as a bridge from the OT to episode 7.  They also talked about all of the old stuff, now considered "legends", as James Luceno's book "Tarkin", which is part of the new cannon, mentions things from his old books, so that stuff must now be cannon, right?  They said that is the case - if something in a new book references something in an old book, that is now in the continuity, although it doesn't mean everything else from the previous book is also cannon.  Good to know that everything is not scrapped completely :rockon:

We popped in after that to a trivia panel (alas, they did not have the galactic trivia contest as in years past, so I was unable to defend my title) and watched a battle between a couple of fellow Star Wars nerds, who did quite well.  My oldest son and I then went down to line up for a double feature - James Arnold Taylor doing a show called "Talking to Myself" and then him hosting Mark Hamill.  Meanwhile, my wife and younger son tried to go to the premiere of Star Wars Rebels season 2, but the line was maxed out, so they couldn't go, unfortunately.  The double feature was awesome, though.  One of the best parts of the "Talking to Myself" show was a clip he did where there was this animation of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Fred Flintstone, and he voices it live - it is a recreation of sorts of the Anakin/Obi-Wan dialogue on Mustafar.  They have clips of it on youtube - just type in Obi-Wan versus Fred Flintstone.  It is classic!  Mark Hamill was also excellent, as expected.  He revealed that the voice in the teaser was partly new lines he read, but also pulled straight from Jedi.  For the most part, the initial line was the one they pulled from Jedi, then the echo portion was using the new dialogue this time around. 

**********SMALL SPOILER*************
However, he said they brought him in just before the trailer to record the dialogue, so perhas he doesn't even say this in the film at all?

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »

Some great stuff on Saturday.  It was packed, but we still managed to get to most of the things we wanted to.  In the morning, we went up to a room where they had props, costumes, etc. on display from The Force Awakens.  It was pretty awesome.  I will add some of the pics here, although you can go on my Facebook page to see more (tell me you are on snow troopers.ca to add me as a friend - Brian Gareth Moses).  The Facebook pictures are better, as I had to reduce the file size to fit on here.  Doesn't the trooper on the right look like a snow trooper?

Next, we made our customary stop to the R2 builders room, which is always awe-inspiring.  They had some awesome droids in their.  Again, check out my Facebook page to see them.

After that, we saw this great audio drama written and directed by Kyle Newman, the guy who made Fanboys.  It was called Smuggler's Bounty, and is the sequel to one he did at Celebration 6 called Smuggler's Gambit.  It is an original story about Han Solo, and they had voice actors reading the script live.  They had a great cast, including many from the clone wars - Matt Lanter (Anankin Skywalker), James Arnold Taylor (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Plo Koon, and others), Tom Kane (Yoda and many others), Dee Bradley Baker (the clone troopers), Matthew Wood (Battle droids, plus Grievous in ROTS), Catherine Taber (Padme), and Sam Witwer (Darth Maul).  In addition, they had David W. Collins (wh has voiced people on many SW video games, and did a great Han Solo in this one), and two stars from the TV show "Hart of Dixie" - Jaime King and Scott Porter.  Why Hart of DIxie?  Well, Kyle Newman is married to Jaime King, so there's the connection.  Anyway, the script was actually good, the dialogue was true to the OT characters for the most part, and the cast did a great job with it.  The sound effects and music were perfect.  Overall, it was a great show.

After that, we went up to a Del-Rey panel, and they revealed some of their up and coming stuff, including a series starting in September - the novel is titled "Aftermath", and will deal with events after ROTJ, which will be neat, as it is meant as a bridge from the OT to episode 7.  They also talked about all of the old stuff, now considered "legends", as James Luceno's book "Tarkin", which is part of the new cannon, mentions things from his old books, so that stuff must now be cannon, right?  They said that is the case - if something in a new book references something in an old book, that is now in the continuity, although it doesn't mean everything else from the previous book is also cannon.  Good to know that everything is not scrapped completely :rockon:

We popped in after that to a trivia panel (alas, they did not have the galactic trivia contest as in years past, so I was unable to defend my title) and watched a battle between a couple of fellow Star Wars nerds, who did quite well.  My oldest son and I then went down to line up for a double feature - James Arnold Taylor doing a show called "Talking to Myself" and then him hosting Mark Hamill.  Meanwhile, my wife and younger son tried to go to the premiere of Star Wars Rebels season 2, but the line was maxed out, so they couldn't go, unfortunately.  The double feature was awesome, though.  One of the best parts of the "Talking to Myself" show was a clip he did where there was this animation of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Fred Flintstone, and he voices it live - it is a recreation of sorts of the Anakin/Obi-Wan dialogue on Mustafar.  They have clips of it on youtube - just type in Obi-Wan versus Fred Flintstone.  It is classic!  Mark Hamill was also excellent, as expected.  He revealed that the voice in the teaser was partly new lines he read, but also pulled straight from Jedi.  For the most part, the initial line was the one they pulled from Jedi, then the echo portion was using the new dialogue this time around. 

**********SMALL SPOILER*************
However, he said they brought him in just before the trailer to record the dialogue, so perhas he doesn't even say this in the film at all?

I missed Smugglers Bounty as Anthony Daniels was 90 minutes late for his signing. Then when finly got out of the line I went to the Rebels Season 2 premiere only to find that line is ok was full.  Did manage to get into the Del Rey panel and check out Rancho Obi-Wan Experience.   Got a total of 5 new autographs for the SW bathroom.
I'll tell ya even though we have a hard time finding figures they sure aren't hoarding them for US stores!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 11:33:03 PM »

Rebels seemed like it may have been the hardest show to get to!

Today was good, but slower paced.  I went to church in the morning, so I was late getting there, so I didn't quite make the show with Gareth Edwards, where a few short clips of Rogue One were shown.  It takes place between episodes 3 and 4, so no major relation to episode 7.  Hopefully, some characters will tie in, though.

We did this thing called the Bounty Hunt right after lunch - it was like a mixture of a trivia game and scavenger hunt.  You had to solve puzzles, trivia questions, and other riddles to figure out who your bounty was, then use a guild bounty list to sort out where the bounty would be hiding and go get them to stamp your card.  There were 8 possible bounties.  We had 90 minutes to do it.  We managed to get it done in 60 minutes, so although 7 other teams got all of the bounties, we won because we did it the quickest (me being my wife and I and our two oldest boys).  We got all kinds of free stuff - I have it posted on Facebook if anyone wants to see the loot.

We really wanted to go to the closing ceremonies, but because they were slow tallying up all of the points at the bounty hunt, we got there quite late.  By the time the room was filled, we were about 50 people from the front of the line, so we didn't get in.  All I know so far is that they announced the next celebration will be next summer in London, England!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169306
  • Total Topics: 14357
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 83
Total: 85

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 38 queries.