Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 03:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bandai 1/12th Scale Star Wars C3PO model kit completed  (Read 2648 times)

Valfar

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Bandai 1/12th Scale Star Wars C3PO model kit completed
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:26:18 PM »

Got this guy in just before last weekend and this is definitely my most favorite kit to date(so much so i bought two,another to weather up).

I love the sculpt and finish. I am almost 100% positive Bandai just scaled down their fantastic 1/6th scale perfect model Chogokin 12pm/Tamashii Nations C3PO figure(which i picked up recently).

The only painting i did to this guy was first, the wires on the back of the knees which can be swapped out with chrome covers for alternate looks and the restraining bolt on the additional swappable chest plate,painted the wires on the abdomen a mix of white, red,silver and gold and also painted the raised panels on the palms gold, same goes for the arm pistons and a nice dry brush of gold over 3PO's grill lining over his optics.

Definitely preordering the Biker Scout even though the Black Series set is great and i really hope Bandai gives us IG-88 and a Snowtrooper soon.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:14:52 PM by Valfar »

cdman

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Bandai 1/12th Scale Star Wars C3PO model kit completed
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »

This is nice! I just ordered both from Japan but it is on backorder for 3 to 4 weeks so I have to wait... Is it hard to assemble?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:19:20 PM by cdman »

Valfar

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 12:42:00 AM »

The assembly is quite easy for all three you preordered though, I would say the astromechs will be the most time consuming build of the lot.

I seriously can't see Hasbro topping this Threepio since their Vader and R2 just can't compare to how much more accurate the Bandai kits are to the characters.

The Vader and Astromech kits I think require painting(be it minor or extensive) to look their absolute best.I actually think the Vader mask once painted up in his iconic asymetical gun metal color look, really brings out just how well Bandai nailed the Vader sculpt.

I had not painted in quite some time and I know I messed up a few things on the astromechs as I assembled the pre-painted parts, I forgot to sand in some of the crevices where paint dried and when fitting these parts it created some paint scrape/smudges plus, I still have a few fine details to add on to the astromechs as well.

I would invest in some Tamiya side cutters for cutting the pieces off the sprue and make sure you cut flush to the piece so there is no flash left over.Bandai did a great job at minimizing the chances of sprue marks left on the kit with proper sprue placement on the whole tree.

The paints I used for Vader and the Droids
 Tamiya x10 gunmetal,xf16 flat aluminum,x13 metallic blue,xf2 flat white,xf7 flat red,xf1 flat black,xf12 gold leaf.

And buy one good brush for painting larger areas and one for fine details, take your time and you don't need glue for these..also, get paint thinner if you fear you may make a minor paint error, I never needed it but, it is an option.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:51:21 AM by Valfar »

cdman

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:26:24 PM »

Thanks for the advice! Just finished Vader and my 3PO and R2 shipped out already. I ordered an extra Vader, just in case I mess up but I guess I did finished building him without any problem. I will see if I get the courage to paint them. I never painted or even built a model. This is my first!

Valfar

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »

Use this pic I attached as a reference for painting up Vader's mask and be sure to paint all the light gray areas shown in the pic and leave the dark areas from the pic unpainted, just take your time, even could use painters tape to mask off the lines between paint and the gloss black plastic..gunmetal paint should do the trick.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:46:38 AM by Valfar »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170145
  • Total Topics: 14398
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 38 queries.