Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 12:32:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

61 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticker Shock  (Read 1900 times)

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
Sticker Shock
« on: August 08, 2015, 05:28:53 PM »

So I'm browsing Rebelscum and I see a post with some price stickers for TFA stuff and it suddenly occurred to me that Hasbro may have finally priced itself out of my reach. $10 for 5PA? $15 for black series? I just can't to that. Maybe one or two ever, but certainly not 20+ of these.

I've been a little out of the loop on pricing lately since there hasn't been much for me to buy this year, but these are shocking prices. This sucks too 'cause my son has really gotten in to playing with collection and I was looking forward to adding a bunch of new stuff next month. There's just no way I can afford this.

Anyway, I'm legitimately upset by this and just wanted to vent a little.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Sticker Shock
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 06:16:07 PM »

Yeah it's way out of whack. The prices skyrocketed in the US as well, before it happened here to be honest (meaning it's NOT all about our currency taking a crap compared to theirs, the jacked price came before that & we were late to catch up). There has been a ton of negative reaction. The kicker will be this: can we actually tone down our spending when the new stuff arrives, or will we be too excited to say no to these ridiculously priced figures?

SciFiEric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 07:43:47 PM »

The latter for me!  :winking0071:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »

Well right now the price increases have certainly led to the trickle of SW product that is out on the shelves to sit around that's for sure. My TRU is probably never going to get rid of their Torynn Farr wave figures at $14+tax, and even the mission series stuff has begun to sit around with the increase to $11+tax.

The real test is when the deluge of TFA toys hits TRU and Walmarts, parents and collectors alike go to their toystore to see the SW merch, gasp at the high prices... and then???  If people don't pony up, then this stuff will have to be lowered in price by Christmas time (stores obviously try hard to get rid of as much stock before year's end with steep discounts). 

My guess is that only collectors will really be dumb enough to shell out the bucks come Sept, then a long quiet period where nothing moves, then the movie debuts and the retailers hope parents will sucker themselves into buying a few bits for Johnny (or Jane) and TRU waits until the last 2 weeks of 2015 to do some big sales to get rid of whatever didn't sell.  Walmart might do it earlier to get the jump on TRU, just because they seem to really balk at holding onto excess inventory longer than they need to.

I'm not personally a fan of this whole Force Friday thing, it's just a sucker's play for collectors to pay premium prices and make impulse purchases... keeping secret what actual toys will be available is part of that, hoping that the excitement of seeing "X" figure in the store with no forewarning sparks that "Gotta have it" buy.

edit: (worth pointing out, that I will probably be among those "dumb collectors" I just mentioned... sigh)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:08:14 PM by napseeker »
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 08:13:37 PM »

There will likely be significant opportunities to buy the stuff at bogo or similar sale prices between now and Christmas. I'm sure the massive ordering factors in clearing out the first bunch at full price, then knowing full well they'll have to induce further/continued sales through opportunities to get more for less. Save your receipts.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 06:47:44 PM »

IMHO, two things have certainly driven the Super articulated  3-3/4" figures line to its doom:

1) Too high costs of production vs. possible retail price
2) The fact that the only customers for these figures are struggling to find these at increasingly ridiculously low bargain prices.

Basically, Hasbro saw in the fact that figures were clogging the pegs and shelves a loss of interest in the core customers of this product line to buy these products at a retail price that would still make this line profitable for them. The price increases over the year could be explained by many factors, such as increase in oil prices (and thus in plastic costs), but also in manpower and certainly inflation. But Hasbro was probably forced to face the fact: the core customers of this line did not want to pay more despite a higher level of quality and variety of products.

I have personally nothing against paying 13-15$ in a nicely done 3-3/4" scale figure that I want if it means I will end up with a large variety of 3-3/4/ super articulated figures all year long. For me, collecting action figures (and collecting anything at all) is already a luxury, and a luxury most people can't have. So, paying the right and reasonable price for a luxury item is not something too irrational for me.

The hell, I'd much rather pay 15$ in a super-articulated 3-3/4" figure I'd like than paying 25$ for a crappy-looking 6-inches figures that I don't want such as the gigantic Leia Boushh or the outrageously small IG-88.

Bottomline, not wanting to pay the right price for the quality of figures we got over the past 10 years is what, IMO, brought us with the Dark Age in SW collecting history, with a 20 years jump back in time with 5POA figures and Marvel-Superheroes sized Star Wars 6 inches figures...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 07:17:50 PM »

But... that being said, I think we're definitely getting shafted here... sorry for being vulgar, but Hasbro, and certainly walmart, TRU and all other retailers, have decided to put all their bets on the new TFA movie and to maximize their profits over this highly profitable franchise.

Why the hell would they not do it? They all know all movie-based toys sell in stores 2-3 months before the movie hits, then not more than 4-6 months after it's been retired of the silver screen. And that movie-based toys sell only during this short period where the hype is so strong it makes parents want to buy their kids that "very special toy that will make their XMas special", it makes the kids to have it all even if they're be all over the next Superheroes flick 2 months later.

Basically, to me it's very clear that Hasbro has decided to work with the SW brand as they do for all other toy lines: benefit from the hype of the movie-release to sell toys to kids. Understand my point: sell toys not to collectors, but to new kids at which these toys are primarily aimed for.

Let's face it: the 5POA toys for TFA is a very strong indication that Hasbro has decided to sell toys to kids and not to collectors anymore.  They've decided to do what they did 25-30 years back: design toys that are meant to be played by kids.

My projections on this: for the first year, all Hasbro TFA-based toys will be 5POA and meant for kids. The only exception will be a few figures in the 6 inches line (my guess: 5 characters including the trooper). Next year, Hasbro might release a few SA figures in 3-3/4" scale, but mostly core characters. You'll never see the large variety of figures we got so far for this scale. Because when they'd be ready to leave the kids market after the movie hype has passed away, it'd be a good time to release some nice collectors items, right? Wrong: it'll be a good time to release new toys for the first Spin-off Anthology movie, "Rogue One". Again, kids-oriented toys.

So, will I buy toys at the price they're supposed to sold? Yes, if it's a toy I really want. But the thing is: I don't want everything. Not anymore. Not with what Hasbro has fated the 3-3/4" line of figures to be now due to poor collectors response over the last few years. Yeah, let's face it: it's now gonna be a 5POA line of 3-3/4" figures aimed at the kids and a bunch of 6 inches figures for the new era of collectors. Collectors like me who have been buying 3-3/4" figures over the past 20 years are simply left aside from Hasbro's marketing strategy. Because we're not a strong customer base anymore: Hasbro most likely prefer to reach 100 kids for every collector there is out there who will try to save a couple of pennies buying not more than 30 items a year.

Yeah, let's face it: when you buy an item at 50% of the listed price to save a couple of bucks, you're not anymore the primary concern for a toy company: you're the reason why they needed to change their strategy.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:28:29 PM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 07:35:14 PM »

I agree with that to a certain extent - but remember it's not Hasbro that takes a beating when the figures are offered at BOGO prices - it's the retailer. Hasbro already made their buck when they sold the product to the retailer - likely all in one big shot for the entire 12 month period - months & months before we see the figures on the pegs (at full or reduced price).

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 06:58:20 AM »

it definitely is sticker shock. But I don't think hasbro will have a tough time selling figs from the new movies at these price points.

In my view they are hoping "collectors" stick with the larger scale figs (I bet the profit margin on those is huge) and leave the smaller stuff for the kids.

Personally, I will be a sucker for the new stormies (and that chrome commander) in any scale. Same with the new "revan" or whoever the bad guy is (and no spoilers please!).

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »

I agree with that to a certain extent - but remember it's not Hasbro that takes a beating when the figures are offered at BOGO prices - it's the retailer. Hasbro already made their buck when they sold the product to the retailer - likely all in one big shot for the entire 12 month period - months & months before we see the figures on the pegs (at full or reduced price).

No, in the long run, the retailers will simply not order the products anymore, will reduce their aisles space for the Habsro SW toy lines and will load them up with TMNT, Superheroes, Lego and other brands. So yes, in the end, if the product doesn't sell to match the suggested retail price that enable profitable business to the stores, it's Hasbro who needs to change their strategy because the stores will refuse to hold too much toys that have a history of not selling well (don't think these retailers are dumb: they are not, they fill their shelves with products that will sell and they learn from their mistakes... that's why we don't have much figures on the pegs anymore).

These retailers act as filters on customer demand: if they sell products at lower prices and thus resulting in lower margins, they will simply not want to hold these products in their stores, and thus despite the fact that you really like the product, customers buying them at lower reduced prices send the message to the retailers that they're too expensive, and the retailers send the message back to Hasbro by not ordering anymore products.

Do you wonder why Lego occupies more than 25% of the Boys section in TRU stores? Wonder no more: because it's a good quality product and the kids and parents love them despite their (very) high price point. They keep wanting and buying them and Lego continues to produce and sell them...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:29:38 PM by JediPatrick »

Frank Herbert

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »

It's the ebb & flow of demand, being reflected by the supply. Economics, in other words. Yes, demand for Star Wars figures at full value has been at its lowest point in years - and we're seeing that reflected by the lack of product on the shelves. Absolutely right.

This is cyclic though, and we're about ready to see a surge in supply like we haven't seen in over 15 years. All they can do is anticipate the demand - and they'll either anticipate low (based on the recent lull), and stuff will fly off the shelves as folks will be terrified of not finding the figures they want later... OR they'll anticipate high - leading to the glut of the first waves of product at retail the same way we did over and over through the last trilogy & the few years following.

I would guess they'll anticipate VERY high and overshoot the demand by a margin, and we'll be seeing the same figures we see on September 4th WELL after the Christmas rush when there are already new figures being found in the US.... but I guess we'll have to wait & see.

chaingunsofdoom

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • BWA HA HA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »

It should be noted that the prices of some items for TFA have not changed:

- BS 6" are still $24.92 (they are $19.99 USD).
- Vehicles are always $25 or $30 depending on the store, and WM shows E7 price tags at $24.92. I'm just not sure what we are getting at what price-point for E7.
- BS 3.75" are $11.92 (did they go down $2 or is it a different series now?)

Also:
-$9.92 for a single 5POA is a joke (they are $6.99 USD, right?)
- $14.92 for Armor Up is a bigger joke since it's the same 5POA and a chunk of plastic.

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 05:46:37 PM »

Also:
-$9.92 for a single 5POA is a joke (they are $6.99 USD, right?)
- $14.92 for Armor Up is a bigger joke since it's the same 5POA and a chunk of plastic.

I think that the US is actually looking at the same prices but in USD which means that we would actually be paying less due to the terrible exchange rate.
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169102
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 61
Total: 64

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 39 queries.