Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 06:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

60 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: On Force Friday, what should I expect?  (Read 3353 times)

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
On Force Friday, what should I expect?
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:19:46 PM »

So, I've gotten over my sticker shock (see http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=23319.0) and I've decided to treat myself, have some fun and buy a whole bunch of toys.
Unfortunately, I've made so odd choices lately including completely avoiding mostly anything spoiler-related which means I haven't read any reports about what to expect in stores on Force Friday.

Can anyone help me out with my budgeting?

I'd like to pick up everything 3.75" even if it's 5POA. Anyone know how many distinct figures are expected to be available initially?

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: On Force Friday, what should I expect?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »

There have been pictures of approximately a dozen 3.75" figures going for I'm guessing about $15 CDN per figure. There has also been at least one speeder-type vehicle with a pilot included that I would budget $35 for - so that's at least $215 to start.

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:21:19 PM »

From what I saw at Walmart, the 5 POA figures are $9.92 unless it is the Armor-up version which is $14.92.  The Black series 3.75" figures are $11.92. Six inch $24.92.

chaingunsofdoom

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • BWA HA HA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 04:08:49 PM »

Based on the horrible quality pictures so far... it looks like Armor-up 5POA are the exact same figure as the regular release 5POA... so $5 for a small piece of plastic?

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 04:48:39 PM »

No, it's $5 for a (presumably) bigger piece of plastic to replace the other small piece of plastic that the regular $9.92 figures come with.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »

My initial enthusiasm has dissipated. Maybe in part thanks to a long camping trip shortly after these images started to appear! Nothing like the great outdoors to put things into perspective!

I don't think I need these the way I did a few days ago and think i can wait to buy anything after seeing the film first and hold out until they offer 3.75 SA versions. My son however who love Star Wars might have more of a tough time resisting asking and begging for them! So I might get to have my cake and eat it too since I will be paying for them and be able to check them out after he cracks them open.

I agree that if they are the same figures the armour up feature seems like both a cash grab and a gimmick that makes them less appealing. Once again, these, even as 5 POA on vintage style cards? I'd probably be lining up actually.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »

No, it's $5 for a (presumably) bigger piece of plastic to replace the other small piece of plastic that the regular $9.92 figures come with.

In other words, ladies and gentlemen we have our first guaranteed pegwarmers of the line...
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:16:53 PM »

Let me enlighten you a bit:

Basic 3-3/4" figures (5POA)
- Assortment 1: 6 figures @ approx. 10$ each
- Assortment 2: 6 figures @ approx. 10$ each

Figures with Armor (3-3/4" 5POA)
- 8 figures @ approx. 15$ each

Class I Vehicles (small)
- 3 vehicles @ approx. 25$ each

Class II Vehicles
- 2 or 3 vehicles @ approx. 45$ each

Figures 2-packs (3-3/4" 5POA)
- Quantity to be determined @ approx. 18$ each

Larger vehicles (3-3/4" scale)
- Who knows?

It's roughly 405$ for the 3-3/4" scale, not counting the figures 2-packs, as I don't know how many we'll get.

6 inches BS figures
- 5 different figures @ 25$ each

Larger vehicles
- TBS 6 inches format TFA Tie Fighter @ 180$

And that's 305$ for the 6inches line.

Basically, I would expect spending at least 700-800$ including taxes if you want a piece of everything.

A lot of money. I know I'm not getting everything. The 6 inches figures are out of my league, so will be the Figures with Armor (except maybe the only two different sculpt in the lot).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:18:38 PM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

darthric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 08:31:16 PM »

Hi, I saw the figures with Armor (3-3/4" 5POA) today. There are straight repack of the figure in assortment 1 & 2 of basic line (3-3/4" 5POA) with an armor that i'm not sure we will see them in the movie.  Only 2 new figures : Poe and Chewy. Luke and Fett seems to be repack from mission series and Saga Legends.

I pass on them.

:snowtroopers:
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try !

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 04:00:10 PM »

forgive my ignorance, but what is this "armor" thing you guys are talking about.

Is is a different outfit? or just an extra accessory?

EDIT - saw all the goodies on RS.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:06:48 PM by ambasah »

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 07:44:09 PM »

Basic 3-3/4" figures (5POA)
- Assortment 1: 6 figures @ approx. 10$ each
- Assortment 2: 6 figures @ approx. 10$ each

After seeing good quality pics from Hasbro's Force Friday catalogue of these 5POA figures, I doubt anyone will actually pay $10 for these. Even with lowered expectations, I almost can't believe how poor these look - in Hasbro's own promotional material no less. There's something about the way they've been sculpted and posed, which I suppose are meant to be reminiscent of Kenner figures, but for lack of a better description, the figures look "soft", as if you can tell the plastic being used is going to be cheap.

The Falcon hybrid vehicle-playset is almost like something between a cross of Galactic Heroes and Action Fleet...  yet intended for 3.75" figures.  It doesn't bode well for a Death Star playset if this is how Hasbro is going to approach things going forward.

6" TFA Chewie's new head looks good, but is a bit oversized compared to the OT Chewie.  Kylo Ren looks off, doesn't look particularly good sculptwise (he looks a bit like Snake-Eyes in worn robes). 

On the flipside, the LEGO TFA mini-figures look incredible! This is where parents' money will likely wind up going even more after seeing Hasbro's offerings sadly.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:14:45 PM by napseeker »
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »

After seeing good quality pics from Hasbro's Force Friday catalogue of these 5POA figures, I doubt anyone will actually pay $10 for these. Even with lowered expectations, I almost can't believe how poor these look - in Hasbro's own promotional material no less. There's something about the way they've been sculpted and posed, which I suppose are meant to be reminiscent of Kenner figures, but for lack of a better description, the figures look "soft", as if you can tell the plastic being used is going to be cheap.

The 5POA 3-3/4" figures have much nicer sculpt and paint job than what Hasbro has given us in the past 3 years in 5POA figures. A friend sent me very clear and sharp pictures of the figures he actually has in hands and I can tell you the quality of workmanship is thousands of parsecs of the ugly Bossk, Vader, Luke Bespin, Boba Fett figure Hasbro has given us in the Mission Series line.

- Finn has a removable rubberish vest.
- Rey's likeliness and paint job is dead on. Apart from her legs, the figures really looks nice.
- The Stormtrooper sculpt is amazing... and it shows they were perhaps planning to fully articulate it at some point but were perhaps told to stop the delusion

These are the best of the lot. The fact that you will probably never get to see these TFA in SA format before long is I think the only incentive to grab them while they are still on the pegs before December.

Figures with Armor are a turn down. Packaging is overkilled for such a lack of product.

Other than that, well, the crystal ball has been clear to me for quite some time: 3-3/4" figures are now made for kids and collectors are rerouted to the 6inches line. Disgusting, to say the least. I'm just hoping Sideshow will release a nice Rey and BB-8 figure near the movie release, else I'm gonna have to resort to buying that 6inches Rey figure...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

cmkjmacd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • You must unlearn what you have learned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 12:53:05 PM »

A while lot of disappointment

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 01:51:30 PM »

The Rebels two packs are of interest to me only because I see them as a sub-line of animated figures. The two scavengers with BB-8 are also intriguing maybe because they are new and maybe because I don't really see the need for a lot of articulation in them…however I am going to withhold any decision to actually buy them until I see them in the stores.

I showed my 5 year old Star Wars fanatic this catalogue and he was drooling. The Falcon nerf-dart shooting playset got a "cool!!!" from him and I could easily see him playing the hell out of that thing. He definitely wants a Kylo Ren and all the mini-vehicles got a "I want that!" Captain Phasma literally made him gasp and almost shout for joy! So these toys are definitely going to find a market with a certain age group…playability being a key factor of course. I have no desire to start in on 6" so that's why I'm still looking, though not committing, to the 3.75 offerings.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 09:01:59 AM »

Whatever you and your son end up buying, KEEP THE RECIEPTS!!!!  This way, if it goes on sale within 45 days of your purchase, and it probably will, (for TRU, not sure about Walmart), you can get a price correction on them.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169079
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 38 queries.