Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 03:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticker Shock - International Edition  (Read 850 times)

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
Sticker Shock - International Edition
« on: August 20, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »

I just got home from a little European vacation and thought I'd share some of what I saw.

I visited Ireland, Denmark and England and if you think we have things bad here in Canada, you really need to visit Europe! Most stores had very little stock and what they did have, was incredibly expensive.

In Ireland, Saga Legends seemed to run about 10 Euro ($15) and were, overall, the best prices I saw. 25% tax is included, so it's not *that* bad.
In England, I had a hard time finding much of anything but, in Hamleys, in London, I found some Mission Series 2-packs and they were 13 British Pounds each ($27!).
Denmark takes the cake, however. Mission Series were 150 DKK ($30) and Saga Legends were 100 DKK ($20). FWIW, Copenhagen is by far the most expensive city I've ever visited. It seemed like $5 was their minimum price for anything (a cup of coffee, a bus ticket, international stamp, etc.)

To me, the most interesting thing about these prices was that, when I did find toys, they were the same pegwarmers we see here too. So, regardless of the price, someone is buying these things!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:17:58 PM by bm459 »

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Sticker Shock - International Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:39:44 AM »

Europe has always been an expensive place to buy toys. Toys over there are still seen as a luxury not everyone can afford. Collecting Star Wars figures, under those circumstances, is awfully expensive.

Yet maybe they are paying the real market price. Maybe it's us who are used in getting quality toys at cheap Dollar-stores prices. Somehow, over time, maybe prices will be adjusted all around the World. And we'll be paying our toys a lot more than what we used to do. But you know what? I prefer buying the Super-Articulated 3-3/4" Star Wars figures I really want at 15$ a pop rather than paying 7$ for something I don't really like. The hell, Hasbro should have increased the price of our 3-3/4" figures to 15$ and drop the outrageous 25$ 6 inches figures line altogether...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 07:07:50 PM »

Europe has always been an expensive place to buy toys. Toys over there are still seen as a luxury not everyone can afford. Collecting Star Wars figures, under those circumstances, is awfully expensive.

Yet maybe they are paying the real market price. Maybe it's us who are used in getting quality toys at cheap Dollar-stores prices. Somehow, over time, maybe prices will be adjusted all around the World. And we'll be paying our toys a lot more than what we used to do. But you know what? I prefer buying the Super-Articulated 3-3/4" Star Wars figures I really want at 15$ a pop rather than paying 7$ for something I don't really like. The hell, Hasbro should have increased the price of our 3-3/4" figures to 15$ and drop the outrageous 25$ 6 inches figures line altogether...

I am thinking we are doomed to poorer figure quality and accessories such as the ships etc.  The hey day has passed, many of us got to enjoy the best figures and ships that Hasbro will ever produce. 
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »

I have a friend living in England, the prices he quotes to me for Lego sets over there (his collecting passion) make me weep every time. I swear the number itself is almost always double, the you have to factor in the the currency exchange which doubles it again. Horrifying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169114
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 80
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 57
Total: 60

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 38 queries.