Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 01:40:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

52 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Journey to The Force Awakens: Aftermath by Chuck Wendig  (Read 2367 times)

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Journey to The Force Awakens: Aftermath by Chuck Wendig
« on: September 07, 2015, 04:59:37 PM »

Instead of continuing to discuss this in the midnight madness thread I thought I'd start one here!

Half way through now and it too 160 pages for them to get to one little tidbit of interesting post ROTJ-leading-into-I-imagine-the-plot-for_TFA. Contains minor spoilers.

Other than that it is weakly written, every time Ackbar is in a chapter he's worried about something being another "trap". I'm not kidding.

The rest of the time we're following several different characters on a planet where some Imperials are meeting to try to figure out how best to reinvigorate the Empire.
One of them is in charge of the last Super Star Destroyer, another has bumped himself up to Grand Moff and then there's at least one person who was Palpatine's confidant.

Wedge is captured early on and does not come back until half way through…where I'm at.

I think at the end I might be satisfied to know a bit more about where TFA might be taking us but the experience of the book itself is a let down and I"m trying not to let it influence my thoughts on how the film might be.

Perhaps the most interesting thing so far (spoiler) but not that surprising is the supposedly during his reign Palpatine had people exploring the edges of the galaxy for dark Force related "anything"…knowledge, source of power, artifacts etc. And one of the Imperials suggests moving the Empire out there I guess to both see who they meet and to come up with a better plan…even if that will take years.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:09:04 PM by jjreason »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermath Journey to Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »

I feel like I let myself down by not researching this a bit more before spending the money. I went ahead and assumed it would follow the paths of the main characters & introduce new people involved in the upcoming film.... I've been dead wrong so far (of course - we all know what happens when you assume). I'm not quite halfway through yet, so things could do a 180 - but I'm doubtful. As previously mentioned, I'm no fan of the writing style. The author is well versed in his SW tropes - we get to see traps & nerf herders & many other lines recycled from the OT dialogue - but it doesn't hit the target for me.

I don't think I'll follow this into a second book until I've done some previewing & know what I'm getting (or not getting) for the next $25.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »

Yeah...and I think at least 2 characters have already helped themselves to a glass of "blue milk". Ok, maybe in the SW universe this is their one and only milk but then just call it milk! We don't say "have some white milk" to someone when we offer them milk!

Then there was the taunt of wearing "space diapers"...um...again, if your culture is habitually in space why the heck would you call your kids diapers space diapers??? It's becoming more apparent that this guy is not a writer of any calibre or was told write it and we'll polish and edit it and they simply did not. And his use of brackets drives me nuts!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 10:29:34 PM »

Finished it yet? It's been weeks and I'm still only on page 240 or so. Again, much like the Shattered Empire comic series, I'm not getting any real feeling that reading the book was worth my time or money. Again, there are a few pages left, but literally nothing has made me think it will have any influence over what we see on the screen in December.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 01:40:22 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up guys! It sounds like one I'll be skipping then. It's kind of sad, makes the loss of the EU sting that much more if it's gonna be replaced with sub-par generic fodder like this book. I hopped over to Amazon and read a bunch of the reviews, of which many are quite scathing. It sounds like maybe this book was thrown together at the last second, they found a guy who said he could write it in a week, and then they slapped "Star Wars" on the cover and pushed it out the door. Actually, that kind of reminds of another Star Wars licensee...

Darth Vicious

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 03:27:12 AM »

Thanks for the warning. If I may return the favour, Heir to the Jedi was a huge bore, I couldn't finish A New Dawn, but I kind of liked Lords of the Sith.
-Darth Vicious  :maul:

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »

Yeah I finished it. Pretty useless. Literally maybe 2 paragraphs that probably shine a light on some of the "evil" stuff the Emperor was up to and that will impact the new films….other than that it was incredibly lacklustre. Run from Imperials, get captured, escape…rinse and repeat. God awful.

The Death Star

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Journey to The Force Awakens: Aftermath by Chuck Wendig
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 11:45:46 PM »

I was thinking about picking this up but I found an abnormal amount of negative reviews about it.  Have any of the new TFA novels received good reviews ?
MTFBWY

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 06:03:47 AM »

There are only a few new EU books out so far - Aftermath getting almost all terrible reviews from what I've seen. The other full-length novel is a young adults story which has gotten more positive reviews (separate topic here on that story). There are also three younger reader stories, each featuring an OT hero: Luke, Leia & Han - they've also gotten more positive reviews.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »

I didn't hate aftermath - the idea was ok, but the execution wasn't great.  I would have liked to have seen more OT character involvement, especially Han, Luke, and Leia. 

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »

So now we have confirmation (from the Visual Dictionary) that "Snap" Wexley from TFA is Temmyn from this novel. I suppose that makes the inclusion of Wedge in the book a bit more on-point, since it would seem that Snap might turn into the Wedge for this trilogy.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 09:06:04 PM »

Yeah, not much that ties things in, but Temmin is the one lone point.  Unless maybe Snoke somehow will tie into the stuff the Imperial advisor was mentioning about what the Emperor was up to in the unknown regions - maybe he was training Snoke?

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 09:30:28 PM »

I think the second book is either available or coming soon, based on my poking around amazon earlier. I think I'll be sticking with reading a synopsis for the next ones.

EDITED: Disregard - pre-order only, it won't be here until July. The Falcon on the cover.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 09:32:00 PM by jjreason »

Darth Vicious

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 04:35:30 AM »

:P i couldn't agree with everyone else here more. Aftermath was a huge bore that I could barely get over the 120 page mark before giving up. So far, all the new novelization have been disappointing aside from Lords of the Sith, but Aftermath may actually out-bore the 'foodie' Heir to the Jedi for me. :indifferent0020:

Stay away.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:12:11 AM by Darth Vicious »
-Darth Vicious  :maul:

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 11:44:56 PM »

Currently reading.

I've read all the posts in this thread but will add some thoughts when I'm done. 

Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170145
  • Total Topics: 14398
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 52
Total: 54

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 39 queries.