Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 06:34:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tarkin (novel)  (Read 585 times)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Tarkin (novel)
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:13:24 PM »

I just finished reading the novel "Tarkin". My Star Wars reading has been a little thin the past couple years, and this one renewed my thirst for consuming more EU reading material. This book had a fairly good OT feel to it, with a bit of PT sprinkled in as it takes place between Episodes 3 and 4. The characterisations were pretty consistent, at least based on the limited screen time that we get to see Tarkin and Vader interact in Episode 4. It was neat to see a few of the more obscure old-time characters show up, such as Admiral Screed from the old "Droids" cartoon.

Overall, I liked this book much more than Luceno's previous SW novel, "Darth Plagueis". The plot progresses more quickly in this story and is more action-based, owing mainly to the fact that it happens over a short period of time. In contrast, "Darth Plagueis" spans several decades and reads almost like a history text, with an ending that everyone knows is inevitable. Luceno dedicates only a few chapters near the beginning of the book for Tarkin's backstory, and then lets the main story take over from there.

This was my first OT-era novel in years, as I've been slowly working my way through the timeline. I am glad I "skipped ahead" to this one, and now am thinking of digging out some more OT-era novels that I've not read through yet. It's a great standalone read for any SW fan, especially those fans of the OT, and Tarkin/Imperials in particular.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Tarkin (novel)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:41:35 PM »

I also enjoyed his book, and loved how Luceno sprinkled in bits from previous stories (mostly his own) so, now, those bits are officially part of the cannon, whereas prior to this novel, they had been relegated to legend status.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:37:19 PM »

After watching Rouge One I really wanted to pick this book up.  Just so everyone knows, I used to collect SW HC books.  I didn't read them because I didn't like the EU but I liked having all of them in Hard Cover on my shelf in case one day I decided to read them.  Thankfully Disney saved me from having to read them.  Anyway, so I wanted go pick up a HC copy of Tarkin and I look online and they are going for over $200 bucks!  Man, I've paid that much for a comic before but for a book that's only just over a year old, dang.
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »

$200?! That's crazy! I gave a copy away (I had a copy and was given a copy for a gift) for free about a month ago to a friend who is starting to get back into Star Wars. Should have sold it on eBay! :P

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 12:20:20 AM »

...or sold it to me! 

I just checked again and yeah, they are still selling in the $200 range.

I could get the Rise Of The Empire which is the trade paperback with Tarkin & A New Dawn together but I have to complete my hardcover collection.
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169102
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 70
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 57
Total: 58

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 39 queries.