Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 11:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else planning to *not* watch the new trailer  (Read 2075 times)

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
Anyone else planning to *not* watch the new trailer
« on: October 18, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »

So, I hear there's a new trailer coming out tomorrow. I don't plan on watching it. Just the poster was too spoiler-y for me. I'd like to avoid as much as possible for the home stretch here. I wonder if I'll be able to do it. Maybe I shouldn't try ... maybe I should just watch it. Anyone else planning on trying to avoid it?

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else planning to *not* watch the new trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 08:39:29 PM »

Not me  :winking0071:; I'll be watching.

TSN will apparently be showing the trailer tomorrow during Monday Night Football as well as the three mini spots.

The three mini spots with new footage were shown on CTV during the Packers/Chargers game today. Very cool to see.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 09:03:59 PM »

I'm fine either way - if I see great, if not I'll catch it on Facebook 13 seconds after it shows during the game. I'm not going to try & avoid tv spots or posters - I can't imagine how I'd ever be able to do it.

The Death Star

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 11:09:10 PM »

I can't see any significant benefit to avoiding the trailer.  Its made by the same people who make the film so whatever is shown in the trailer is probably assumed knowledge when you watch the story through the film.  Would they really ruin or give away key plot points of the film in trailer.

Whatever is in the trailer I wouldn't consider a spoiler.   Does anyone have any past examples of a trailer "ruining" the viewing of a film ?
MTFBWY

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 11:17:17 PM »

Can I just mention that a new TFA poster has debuted. I saw it on io9.com tonight BUT I warn anyone who wishes to stay spoiler-free that the fools on there actually put a big spoiler right in the friggin' headline above the poster itself.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:41:22 PM »

I'll watch it though I had to say the mini-spots left me less hopeful than anything I've seen thus far there was just something odd about them but perhaps that's purely because I'm seeing them completely out of context?

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »

Does anyone have any past examples of a trailer "ruining" the viewing of a film ?

I can't think of any Star Wars examples of spoilers in the trailers. However, there's been a trend lately for trailers to be mini-versions of the movies. Best example of spoilers in a trailer I can think of recently was for Terminator:Genisys... the main plot twist was featured in the final trailer :-/
Actually, come to think of it, Terminator 2's main trailer spoiled the fact that Arnold was the good guy.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 05:00:44 PM »

I don't know what to think. Wanted to avoid it at first, but I see no way I could spend the next 2 months trying to avoid the "official" spoilers.

I mean, I don't live in a remote monastery and I feel trying to avoid all that will be shown and discussed on the next movie, just based on official materials like trailers will be too stressful. It would also involve not speaking at all with my closest friends for the next two months, pulling the plug on all media (Instagram, Facebook, Internet in general), avoiding all the TV shows (not a huge deal in my case) and not looking at the next waves of new toys.

As far as seeing spoilers in a trailer... well... basically, whatever pictures and video you see on screen before the movie is considered a spoiler. If you want to go see the movie and keep all as a big surprise, then you should not look at anything SW at all. Not being interested in SW would help. Like my oldest daughter who wouldn't give a damn about SW and will go see the movie with completely fresh and clean mind. Mainly because she doesn't know a thing about these movies.

Anyway, I think the poster contains the biggest spoiler. I would have liked for Disney to keep the poster spoiler-free, but then again they have to decide what will attract the broad audience (and not just the die hard fans) to see the movie. They need to give away just enough, but not too much.

My guess for this trailer: we will see what is shown on that poster. Somehow. No more, no less. You won't completely get the whole picture, but you will understand what is going on. A real movie trailer gives you the overall story, showing you the images in a random order to emphasize on what they want to reveal from the plot. So to me it's obvious some unknown parts of the storyline will be revealed to us tonight. I just hope it'll not be too much... :-/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:05:04 PM by JediPatrick »
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 05:59:36 PM »

I feel trying to avoid all that will be shown and discussed on the next movie, just based on official materials like trailers will be too stressful.

I'm working on a theory that basically says that the more time that has passed since a spoiler is "released", the more that spoiler becomes common knowledge. In this instance, anything spoiler-y from the trailer will be taken as something that everyone knows within a few weeks. So, since posting yesterday, I've basically changed my mind and I'm just going to go ahead and watch the thing tonight :-)

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »

Just watched it, awesome!  Can't wait for the film.

:snowtroopers:
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 10:35:59 PM »

Watched it. Don't regret it :-)

Seeing Old Han... "It's true ... all of it". I literally yelped. I don't know why. It just hit me. I can't say I've been this excited about anything since I was a kid. Completely didn't expect to react so strongly to this.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 10:52:48 PM »

That was a GREAT trailer, the slow buildup of the music was what got me the most... the SW theme came on so slowly that when I realized what I was hearing, I just got a lump in the ol' throat...

The trailer, ironically enough, I consider to be less spoilery than the final TFA poster! 
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 11:18:54 PM »

I thought it was good as well, though I didn't have the same visceral reaction I did upon hearing Old Han's voice say "Chewie, we're home." at end of the first teaser.

Random thoughts:

- it spoiled less for me than the full blown reveal of the Starkiller Base on the poster & generally increased my interest in seeing how the movie story plays out, so a "good" trailer overall
- didn't like Phasma's voice, if that was in fact Phasma's voice
- no sign of Luke?
- no sign of the "new Jabba" we got to see in Vanity Fair?
- I was happy with the length of it. Any shorter and I would have been all "I arranged my evening around THIS????"

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »

Liked it a lot, wondering if Fett is behind that door Han and Finn approach? Glad my disappointment in those mini-spots was proven completely wrong!

Is that Leia at the start asking "who are you?" Maybe?

I figured that "dark" voice was either Serkis's character or Ren…and how about those other Knights of Ren???? :) Reminding me of what I wished the PT had given us rather than the overly cerebral "rule of two".

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 11:28:21 AM »

Watched it. Don't regret it :-)

Seeing Old Han... "It's true ... all of it". I literally yelped. I don't know why. It just hit me. I can't say I've been this excited about anything since I was a kid. Completely didn't expect to react so strongly to this.

Same here. Was so thrilled that Han ends up telling that the Dark Side and the Jedi are real things, whereas he told everyone he didn't believe in such nonsense in ANH and we sensed he was not still a believer at the end of ROTJ. It was so emotionally packed, I admit I had many tears while watching it. :)

Far less spoilery than anything we've seen so far. I honestly consider the poster to be the worse spoiler seen so far for these movies. Even the Hasbro figures are considered much spoilery than this trailer, IMHO.
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169126
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 80
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 57
Total: 57

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.