Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 19, 2018, 04:59:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

58 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: State of the Forum: Scalping  (Read 4233 times)

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: State of the Forum: Scalping
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2015, 07:19:10 AM »

I am sure if everybody thought another lesser know or newer member was using the forum for scalping then it would most likely be deemed acceptable to call this person out. 

By stating this claim you are implying that a well-known or older member is using this forum for scalping.  Which member(s) are you referring to and are you able to show any proof (i.e. links to other threads on this forum) to support your claim?

I live in Muskoka and only have ONE retail outlet any closer than a 40 min drive down the highway and they generally only get in one case at a time.  I don't need any scalpers to clean out the product from my store all in need is one single collector/kid/parent to get to the store before me and I am out of retail options.  I have had several members on this site purchase figures from their local stores in bigger cities and then go out of their way to mail me figures.  Do you consider this scalping because they removed product from the store that wasn't intended for their own personal collection?  Do I have to live in the GTA to qualify as a legitimate collector that deserves to get these figures?

Snowtroopers.ca has been an amazing site for many years now without any issues and all of the members that have been here for that period can appreciate that which is why so many of us are supportive of the decision to remove Cosmo from the site.  It's one thing to present an opposing opinion to the majority but when you are replied to by so many showing proof that you could be mistaken it's better to take heed to qualified advice rather than dig your heels into the sand and bury yourself.
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2015, 07:56:17 AM »

I am just sorry that anyone had to be banned.

This is supposed to be "fun". I do the shows because it is fun for me. I get to meet other collectors who share my love of star wars. Of course the extra money doesn't hurt.

I also respect differing opinions (what a boring world it would be otherwise) and think everyone for the most part was very respectful in providing their perspective.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2015, 09:08:29 AM »

Wow! I am so glad my computer was down for the last few days! The tone of this debate felt like something copy/pasted directly from rebelscum's forums! Dissent and disagreement is one thing this forum has dealt with so incredibly well in the past that to see it threatened by a new member with either an obvious axe to grind or a need for attention is sad. People tried damn hard from what I have read to explain why the issue was far from black and white with detailed explanations and examples.  The longer it went on the more obvious it got that nothing anyone offered up was going to appease him in even the slightest.  Sadly, someone with that attitude as a way of introducing themselves really doesn't fit in this amazing, friendly, welcoming, open minded community. It is, like someone knocking on your door, asking to be let in and after being welcomed telling you that the way you run your house is wrong and insane and if you don't listen to their criticism you yourself are an idiot. Who wouldn't show this guy the door he just came through?

The_Art_of_Sith

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Jub Jub
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2015, 09:08:48 AM »

Wedge, you nail it.  Great definitions, insight is perfect. 

All the members here are helping each other.  The cosmo guy was trouble, maybe he had "The force awakens" anxiety, but its obvious he stirred up trouble on every thread.  Good job "admin" for removing this member. 

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2015, 11:37:20 AM »

Wedge, you nail it.  Great definitions, insight is perfect.

I second that!  :)` Too bad Cosmos didn't take the time to make the effort to understand this and simply decided to go on a futile war and started accusing everyone of scalping. Poor lad.
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

dagobahmaster

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2015, 01:03:48 PM »

"By stating this claim you are implying that a well-known or older member is using this forum for scalping.  Which member(s) are you referring to and are you able to show any proof (i.e. links to other threads on this forum) to support your claim?"

While reading most of these post I can see that we will not all have the same definition of scalping. I will tread carefully and say what I have to say in the most civil way Possible. I will try to answer your question the best way I can without using any names but most will know who I am referring too?

If a person is selling Disney store products at a toy show is it scalping? I will say yes as these products are only for sale in Disney Stores. They are not made available to other retailer so if you have these items you are taking them out of the normal retail chain. We can claim to have "sources" but if someone is getting these thought wholesale or other distributors they need a business license as far as I know. (if I am wrong please correct me) I think most members here will agree that Disney elite are not available this way Or else we could all do it which would benefit us all.

I work in the retail world and cant go into what company I work for but we watch very closely how our products are being sold and merchandised. We have a wholesale division that sells to other business who have a license agreement with us and we have our own stores. (very much like most other large company's) We also have a division that searches Online and anywhere else you can think of (flea markets, etc) to see if anyone is selling our items. Now we don't catch everyone but if we do you will receive a cease and desist letter. If you don't stop after this it becomes a legal matter. This practice is scalping our products for more than they where bought for.

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2015, 02:15:49 PM »

I got the disney diecast (4 of them) in a trade.

I was going to sell them at the show.

There are lots of different ways to get merchandise.

I was going to list them for $50 and "negotiate" down to $40. I think Canadian retail was $30 each before taxes?

What I traded (a koto statue) was valued at $150.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »

I think I posted earlier about the crux of the issue being in regards to discrepancies in our personal definitions of scalping. For my own purposes, I see scalping along the lines of "gouging", as was so well described above.

If someone purchases all of an item at retail for redistribution among friends/contacts/associates at the retail price, but someone else loses out - this isn't scalping to me. That's having contacts & working within a community to make sure you don't miss anything - especially for those of us with limited opportunities to shop in person at retail stores (the whole ordering online issue is a separate but similar issue - if I buy them all for myself & to share with you guys at my cost - this isn't scalping, at least to me).

Referring again to one of my previous posts, I said the community here has policed itself when it comes to listings that are perceived as scalping. Typically what I will see is a "This thread has been reported by a member of the community" email message, complete with a link. I can then see the reason for reporting - in many previous cases this has been one word "scalping". I'll click the link to check it out.

Of interest, I would say about half the time (in maybe 12-15 instances over my almost that many years using the site, so it doesn't happen often), I will contact the seller & advise them of the B,S&T rules which prohibit using our site from selling at a price higher than "retail plus legitimate costs" (and yes, I just made that up right now), and ask them to remove it or lower the price. I've never had an argument. In the other half of the cases, I see no problem with the listing & advise the reporter that I'm leaving it alone.

I bring up & describe this process to you guys just so know there is a process and a bit about how it works. If you see listings you don't like, please don't hesitate to advise us. I'm guessing it won't happen very often, based on the past.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:57:54 PM by jjreason »

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2015, 08:16:35 AM »

"By stating this claim you are implying that a well-known or older member is using this forum for scalping.  Which member(s) are you referring to and are you able to show any proof (i.e. links to other threads on this forum) to support your claim?"

While reading most of these post I can see that we will not all have the same definition of scalping. I will tread carefully and say what I have to say in the most civil way Possible. I will try to answer your question the best way I can without using any names but most will know who I am referring too?

OK, I'm a bit confused here.  This post you are quoting was quoting a post from The Death Star.  You are answering the question as if it was posed to you.  Are you and The Death Star the same person?

I work in the retail world and cant go into what company I work for but we watch very closely how our products are being sold and merchandised. We have a wholesale division that sells to other business who have a license agreement with us and we have our own stores. (very much like most other large company's) We also have a division that searches Online and anywhere else you can think of (flea markets, etc) to see if anyone is selling our items. Now we don't catch everyone but if we do you will receive a cease and desist letter. If you don't stop after this it becomes a legal matter. This practice is scalping our products for more than they where bought for.
I would be interested to see if your companies strategy works.  I don't believe there is anything illegal with reselling items.  Now, when you jack up the price (whether you want to call that scalping or gouging is up to you), that's a different story.  But what you describe is one major way the retail industry works - basically, you buy from one person and sell to another.  Whether the person you buy from is the manufacturer, a distributor, or another retailer doesn't matter - it is all legal.  However, while I think there may be laws around price inflation after buying retail products, I don't think the same is true about buying wholesale.  Anyone know for sure?

On this site, we frown on people buying up all the local retail product and then selling it at inflated prices, which most would be happy to call scalping.  But, if you buy several of one figure to trade with other snowtroopers, or sell to them at cost (+/- a very minor mark-up for gas, etc.) to snow troopers who can't get them, etc. - that is pretty much the whole purpose of this forum.  If we can't do that, then we may as well all log out and never come back here.

Anyway, I think everything that needs to be said has been said very well by others, and thank you to them. 

And thank you to JJ for banning Darth Cosmos - that guy was really being an a$$ in his comments, and clearly didn't want to have a discussion (which would have been fine - discussing controversial things is not an issue), but just wanted to bash as much as he could before the inevitable ban.  Its sad that he had to try to stir up so much trouble on a forum that has had very little of that kind of foolishness.  :shakehead:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169371
  • Total Topics: 14374
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 37 queries.