Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 12:56:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

72 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying & Reselling Discussion - Part One (locked)  (Read 2043 times)

The Death Star

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Buying & Reselling Discussion - Part One (locked)
« on: December 06, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »

I apologize in advance if I am wrong is this assertion but I believe a part-time dealer is also know among the collecting community as a scalper.  I know this user has a long standing membership on these forums and is well known to many members which only makes this type of post even more brash and unacceptable on a forum for collectors.

I do encourage discussion and reply to my comments here as it should be aired out and discussed.  I am not a brand new member to this forums, I have a previous account (user: Slave1Pilot registered 2006) which could not be reinstated recently and a new account had to be generated.  I have been collecting a long time and have learned that these people will always exist in the hobby.  What is disappointing is that this forum is being used as a venue to help a scalper recover lost product to continue the reselling or current-retail product and it is encouraged by an admin.

This without doubt puts the reputation and integrity of the forum at stake and should not be tolerated.  I will not flame and be disrespectful to any admins or any users of the forum but the purpose of my post is to generate discussion that will hopefully result in a better community for true collectors.  That may or may not include disallowing posts such as the one to which this reply is written or not allowing a know scalper to post on the boards or at the very least to not allow posts that reference a users scalping activity or private messages that would allow that user to use the forums to facilitate scalping toys.

If anybody has any ongoing deals with this user please let me know if I can help you out with the items you are looking for.  I have all of these items in his list and ALWAYS willing to help a collector for nothing but the retail cost of items.  And my stuff wont be marked/defaced or damaged in anyway as to be identifiable by myself.

If I am wrong about this activity then it will come with a lengthy apology, but it is hard to see being incorrect about the scalping accusation as some of the product is disney store exclusive items that should currently be at the retail level.. It is irrelevant where they were purchased if they are being removed from store supply for the purpose of profit somewhere and affecting some collectors.

I hope that every member has a chance to see this post and respond regardless of their opinion on the matter.  If I am wrong about my response to this posting please show me that I wrong.   I would actually prefer to be wrong in this case and know that snowtroopers.ca is a group that I can still be a part of with good conscience. 

Condoning or allowing this post no way benefits the collecting community. 
MTFBWY

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Buying & Reselling Discussion - Part One (locked)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »

Thank you for voicing your opinion. I would now suggest you take some time to review Ambasah's site trader feedback & have a look at his VERY long history of generously helping members advance their collection for VERY reasonable prices.

He routinely posts local finds in the provincial forums so collectors can run out & hit he stores before the scalpers get there - rather than buying up these items for his own gain.

He has also donated significant prizes in the past for contests that keep folks interested in visiting the site. I'm interested in hearing what the others think, however. Please don't hesitate to chime in - in a civil matter please as I can see some potential for heated comments here.

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=13737.0

http://www.snowtroopers.ca/forum/index.php?topic=23348.0

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:42:25 PM by jjreason »

The Death Star

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 04:08:54 PM »

I am aware of his contributions to the forums, most recently the diorama contest.  All that aside, it appears that he is reselling current retail items at toys shows.  And this is by definition a toy scalper, regardless if he is liked or not, or who is friends with.  I understand I am sticking my neck out here.  maybe so.  You have brought up his reputation, and I will not comment on it until he chimes in himself.

It pretty much a black or white issue, he has 10 6-inch Captain Phasmas that he is trying to sell at toy shows, it she selling these for retail cost ? Its possible I suppose, that would be admirable.

I know friends who are trying to get this figure and are unable to because of scalpers and they would rather have the chance to purchase this figure at retail than a chance to participate in the forum contests.

If not, then he is scalping them.  That's it.  Period.  Regardless of what other nice things you can say about him.

I absolutely do appreciate keeping the conversation civil, thank you.  Otherwise its not productive.
MTFBWY

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »

I am aware of his contributions to the forums, most recently the diorama contest.  All that aside, it appears that he is reselling current retail items at toys shows.  And this is by definition a toy scalper, regardless if he is liked or not, or who is friends with. 

Not in my mind, not unless he's reselling for an exorbitant profit. There has always been "some" allowance for making a margin on figures you found at retail, even here, especially as they get older & harder to find. If someone listed a current WM black series 3.75" stormtrooper for $20, I don't think there would be a large outcry, for example.

The community has been very quick & professional in policing itself when issues like this arise. I think you need some more information about his pricing - and especially what price he'd offer to the members here if they wanted those items - before you apply the scalper label.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:15:42 PM by jjreason »

Sam

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »

I don't see Sanjai at every toy show but if I do see him with a table, he sells mostly bust and statues.  He is not the guy at your local Walmart buying all the SA First Order Stormtroopers.

Also, as he metioned, stuff he lost are from the States in US packaging.  Action figures and collectibles are much easier to obtain in the States then in Canada.  You can order almost everything online from any of the major chains, including Disney store and Hasbro Toy Shop with much better selection.  All you need is someone in the States who can hold your stuff or a US mail box.

Just saying he is not what you had in mind.

PS - I have not bought anything from him nor actually gone up to him and introduce myself as a member here.  The reason I know who he is was that one time he mentioned he would be setting up a table at some toy show and he would be wearing a black Star Wars jacket.  There is not favour done here.

dagobahmaster

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 04:48:45 PM »

I am aware of his contributions to the forums, most recently the diorama contest.  All that aside, it appears that he is reselling current retail items at toys shows.  And this is by definition a toy scalper, regardless if he is liked or not, or who is friends with. 

Not in my mind, not unless he's reselling for an exorbitant profit. There has always been "some" allowance for making a margin on figures you found at retail, even here, especially as they get older & harder to find. If someone listed a current WM black series 3.75" stormtrooper for $20, I don't think there would be a large outcry, for example.

The community has been very quick & professional in policing itself when issues like this arise. I think you need some more information about his pricing - and especially what price he'd offer to the members here if they wanted those items - before you apply the scalper label.

I have dealt with Ambasah in the past many years ago. I thought his pricing was fair based on the items being very hard to find older items.

Now on to the point of current retail items. I am of the opinion that scalping is selling any item that would other wise be at retail for the normal price. I would not pay even a nickel more for something that should be at retail except for other people buying them up to make a profit and create a false demand. I have been out hunting for the toys I am looking for to many times in the last month only to be a min behind the guy who buys every hard to get figure, just to see the same people hawking them at the toy shows. I don't care what people charge for older out of stock items, the demand will dictate the price. The problem is someone who buys 10 capt phasma's to sell at a toy show, is a scalper no matter if its $1 or $100 they are making.the problem is taking them out of the store for regular customers.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »

I'm pretty sure the last thing anyone can call Sanjai is a scalper.  Let's get one thing straight, he doesn't drive around for hours scouring local retailers for the short pack figures to resell at twice the price.  He either orders things from the US (thus not taking away from the Canadian collector) or he buys collections and resells them.  He also deals to a greater extent in the high end collectables and less in the plastics that Hasbro shells out.  For anyone to complain about his 10 Capt Phasmas THAT ARE IN US PACKAGING is ridiculous.  If anything, he's doing the collectors in southern Ontario a favour by bringing them in.  His price would reflect his cost plus conversion, plus time and gas.  By all means, order a Phasma online from the US for your collections.  I guarantee you it will be more than what he charges by the time you factor in shipping, currency conversion and possible duties.  This post was a call for help from a long time upstanding member of this community and to then have people calling into question his motives or character is insulting to both Sanjai and anyone who has dealt with him.  Keep your negative opinions to yourselves, if you don't like "scalpers" fine.  You show your dislike by not buying from them.  I seriously doubt you would walk up to Sanjai at a toy show and say this to his face. 

Darth Cosmos

• Recruit
  • If only we knew how many light years far far away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 08:28:32 PM »

Yeah I find this place odd. Recently joined and it seems scalping is a fine and ok thing.

I find it difficult to care.

:fight:

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 08:34:40 PM »

I'll stand by Sanjai as well, he has gone out of his way to help me out in the past. He picked up a couple convention figures for me and sold them to me at cost. He didn't make a dime on them and he easily could have put them up on ebay for double their retail price. So he looks out for fellow collectors. As fish fan says, I would think any mark up he has on his figures would be reasonable and reflect the costs incurred.

To call him out in a situation like this is uncalled for. He is clearly asking the community that he has helped out countless times to help him out in an unfortunate situation. And did you take the time to PM him about your concerns before airing them out here in public? I would hope that is the case.

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »

Yeah I find this place odd. Recently joined and it seems scalping is a fine and ok thing.

I'm not saying that you don't feel the way you do, but I will say that I find it odd that you would feel that way here.  Yes there are people who will offer items on here for a few dollars above the retail price but you have to consider that there are taxes involved and not everyone purchased their items at the same price, some people had to pay extra on shipping or customs to attain them. 

Some people just bought $10 Black Series six inch figures that I paid full retail for a few months ago online when they were first available.  If I were to offer those figures on here right now for the $30+ dollars each that I spent on them just to break even you could easily assume that I just bought those for $10 each and was trying to scalp them for a profit.  My point is that it is easy to make assumptions but until you know what the absolute truth is about something you shouldn't jump to convenient conclusions. 

I have been a member here for over a decade and have never felt this site has catered to scalpers.  In contrast they do what they can to prevent non members from accessing specific provincial reports.  If members offer items for prices you are not satisfied with its really easy to just move along to the next seller on here, elsewhere on the web or at brick and mortar until you find one you are happy with.
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »

This is the second post you've made alluding to the boards here promoting scalping. Could you please explain?

And I'd say it's quite the opposite. The idea of the boards is for collectors to help each other out. That's why there are the provincial boards hidden to the general public where store sightings can be specific without letting lurking scalpers know where things are.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »

He misinterpreted a post made by someone a few days ago and commented about us supporting scalping, then retracted his statement as a misunderstanding. The second 180 I'm not sure about, but honestly I'm not sure it warrants a big bunch of explanation either. I think we do everything in our power to deter scalping - but if someone's impression is that we condone or support it, I guess that's their opinion. Hopefully it will change after they've been around a bit longer & see how the community really operates.

Darth Sinister

• (A+ Trader)
  • Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 08:58:40 PM »

I've got to confess I haven't posted here much lately. Having dealt with Sanjai many times I have to say calling him a scalper and putting up a post like this I found terribly upsetting. He is always willing to help out fellow Collectors and every transaction has been fair and he certainly does not take advantage of the community. I remember a time I went to a show with my nephew who was looking at a Scorch but was tight with cash and Sanjai gave it to him for half price!

Hope you get a positive result for the stuff that was stolen Sanjai. Until we deal again cheers!

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »

To anyone who thinks that we support and condone scalping on these boards, remember that you didn't pay anything to join.  Leaving the boards costs the same if you don't like how things are done here. 

dagobahmaster

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 09:53:07 PM »

Iím not slaming Sanjai, Iím just trying to point out what scalping is and I understand that he has helped people out in the past. Hell I even got a few things from him. Iím talking about items out less than a few months. The Definition of scalping is ď selling something for a marked up price which is either sold out or hard to getĒ now the item would not be sold out if people did not buy them just to scalp for a profit no matter how little it is. Also reselling collections is fine like I said for vintage or older items no longer at retail, demand will dictate price. (I have sold most of my Vintage collection) In terms of ordering items online from the U.S I do it all the time to save money, I ship items to my cousin. The difference is I order for myself or friends and donít order more that I need. If you believe someone is buying multiple figures to sell and its doing the collectors a service you are absolutely wrong. Also after you buy enough of them the shipping doesn't matter as you will make your money back. I looked Online at all the regular U.S sites and guess what not a single one of them has one for sale for retail price! They are being sold by scalpers for jacked up prices and itís not surprising when we have people buying 10 at a time. I also laugh because you said ďI seriously doubt you would walk up to Sanjai at a toy show and say this to his faceĒ I would in fact tell him that to his face if he had a table of new items. The fact that people in the greater collector community make excuses for this behavior is absurd as it is just killing all of us. If we didnít buy new items from them we would be able to order online or find in person as the scalpers would have no reason to buy them all up. The best example I can give is how when episode 1 came out people where buying the Darth Maul from scalpers for $20-25 now you can buy one for less than retail but at the time scalpers drove the demand and the collectorís bit the bullet and helped their cause. If it wasnít for scalpers everyone would of got the figure without overpaying.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169096
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 72
Total: 74

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 38 queries.