Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 19, 2018, 04:44:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

69 Guests, 1 User

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bootleg 6" Darth Maul  (Read 1542 times)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Bootleg 6" Darth Maul
« on: December 08, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »

Not to deflect attention from the other controversial thread topic of "scalping", but apparently there is a fairly high-quality Chinese bootleg of the 6" Darth Maul figure popping up all over ebay right now, for a good price:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=16850

Like scalping, bootlegs can be a polarizing topic in the collecting world. But this could be an option for those who don't have much hope of Hasbro getting around to re-issuing an official 6" Maul (let's face it, with all the new movie stuff that will be released every year for the next who-knows-how-long, I'd say the likelihood is rather slim). I was lucky enough to find one during his initial release, but there are many collectors who never got the chance or came too late to the party. It's up to the individual to decide how they'd want to proceed - pay a scalper/gouger for an original? buy a bootleg? or be content to go without? (or maybe look into the one by S.H. Figuarts)

Just thought I'd bring it to the attention of those who may be interested. Do with as you please.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Re: Bootleg 6" Darth Maul
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »

As the article suggests, maybe the presence of these knockoffs will force (no pun intended) Hasbro to re-release the real Darth Maul?  Money is being left on the table... and a re-release indeed would screw over the scalpers.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 05:46:14 PM »

Eh, I passed on it the first time & this is no different. It wasn't the price that turned me off these, it was X-Wing's Luke's horrible hair & the absurdly cheap look of R2.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »

Do you mean the paintjob on Luke's hair or the sculpt?  I know it took me a few tries until I finally found an X-Wing Luke that had hair painted decently... same with Han also, the eyebrow placement made a big difference to me in capturing Ford's likeness.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »

I hated the paint - all the ones I saw looked like they had been done by kindergarten kids. Both the colour and the quality of applications was bad bad bad.

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »

I missed Maul the first time round cause I was just not interested in the 6" line at all.  Of course being a weak-minded fool and all, I bought Fett and a Stormtrooper when they were released later. 

When I went back to try to get Maul, it was too late and I wasn't paying Ebay prices for one.  Wish I was able to get Luke X-Wing as well. :(

When the bootleg Maul came out, I snapped it up right away just cause I wanted one to display for my collection.  It doesn't matter to me that it's a bootleg as it's only for my own personal collection.  I would have gladly bought an official Hasbro one had they re-released him.  I'm hoping R2 gets released again too so that he can go with the upcoming C3PO that I hear about.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 07:49:51 PM »

I hated the paint - all the ones I saw looked like they had been done by kindergarten kids. Both the colour and the quality of applications was bad bad bad.

I know a few kindergarten kids that would take offence with that - they could do a much better job than what ends up on a lot of Hasbro's stuff these days.

I'm hoping R2 gets released again too so that he can go with the upcoming C3PO that I hear about.

If you're lucky they'll do a new mold for R2, a little smaller. A big complaint about the first one (aside from the paint apps) is that he is too big. Maybe a R2 / 3PO 2pk with new astromech mold.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:52:45 PM by Wedge1021 »

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 08:18:38 PM »

recasts/fakes are a big problem in the statue world (more with superhero stuff than star wars).

It gets really dicey when guys try to sell fakes as the real thing.

I am surprised to hear there is a demand for maul or r2. I remember those being pegwarmers when they were initially released. I guess you never know...

Darth Woo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 08:20:37 PM »

recasts/fakes are a big problem in the statue world (more with superhero stuff than star wars).

It gets really dicey when guys try to sell fakes as the real thing.

I am surprised to hear there is a demand for maul or r2. I remember those being pegwarmers when they were initially released. I guess you never know...

Yeah, they pegwarmed for the longest time.  However, they were gone by the time I got into this line. :(

Also, I did not like the robe that Maul came with.  I wasn't interested in him at all until some Ebay seller from Malaysia started selling soft goods robes made for the 6" Maul.  After seeing that, I was interested in him.

For R2, I don't really care for him other than him being a core character.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 10:47:50 PM »

Wha?  Wave1 R2 was considered too... big?  I've been thinking this whole time he looks too small. If Hasbro were to release an even smaller one, they'd have to include a Kenny Baker action figure to go along with the R2 if they want to justify charging $25 for it.  I had a tough enough time paying full price on him the first time around.

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 12:18:12 PM »

I thought he was too small as well.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »

Gah! Brain cramp - yes you're right, the complaints are that the 6" R2 is too SMALL, not BIG.  ???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169371
  • Total Topics: 14374
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 69
Total: 70

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 40 queries.