Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 08:32:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

48 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Going offline  (Read 2529 times)

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
Going offline
« on: December 09, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »

Today is my last day visiting my regular blogs, forums and news sites. I'm unplugging as much as possible for the next week, to avoid any last-minute spoilers. I can imagine as more people start seeing TFA, more spoilers will leak.

See you on the other side :-)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Going offline
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:48:20 PM »

Good idea. I was thinking of doing the same, but will have a tough time of it. I typically try to avoid seeing a movie during the first couple weeks of release cuz I hate crowded theatres, but that might be unavoidable for quite some time with this one. I might just bite the bullet, even if its for a late screening sometime without the family. I can always bring them along to a 2nd viewing. Or 3rd, 4th...? As long as it delivers!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 10:32:27 PM »

Good luck, I envy your willpower to stay away from the internet. I faced a spoiler head on today & survived - just hoping I've got 7 lucky days left in the tank.  :speechless-smiley-004:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 10:37:01 PM »

Also plan on cutting off my time spent on social media and the net in the days before the premiere.  Not sure at the moment if I can go see TFA on the 18th, but if not, I'm staying offline until I do! 

I can just imagine some people won't be able to contain themselves and start putting major spoilers in headlines or tweets (heck, I had the big reveal about Luke and Leia in RotJ in 1983 totally ruined for me thanks to a girl named Susan in my class who just blurted it out when she saw the film on opening night...  :mad0137:)

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 10:49:59 PM »

I got the spoiler of all spoilers on the playground - a kid told me Darth was Luke's father before I saw the movie.  :fighting0072:

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 11:42:04 PM »

Thinking of doing the same thing... to be quite frank, think I will survive... it'll be tough... but I need to do this. Too many things will leak either from leaked footage, newspapers critics, etc. Even our formal Montreal newspaper got an article and I've just barely avoided some plot spoilers.

The worse leaks I think will come from toys, as it's quite obvious that there's a lot of new figures sitting in the major retailers warehouses just waiting Dec. 18th to be released in full blast. There ought to be some stuff that'll leak someway or another. The Hell, we already saw one figure leaked at Walmart that shouldn't have been seen yet... and that brought down the fury of Disney/Lucasfilm upon the poor Jeremy Conrad dude just because he showed the world the never-before-seen figure that he legally purchased.

Anyway, pulling the plug seems the best thing to do...  at least for me. Think I'll be catching up on Game of Thrones in the coming days... :)
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 09:07:48 AM »

I have large cardboard box from a piece of furniture .   I cut a slot to allow a food plate to pass through and to get my laptop charged.  As of this weekend my family is going to use packing tape to seal me in the box.  I plan on staying in the box until Christmas Day.  I got the entire series of Magnum PI to entertain myself.   My big gift for Christmas is they let me out of the box and we all go see Star Wars.   Hopefully I get to shower before we go. :P 
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »

I remember my introduction to the (as of then unnamed) phenomenon of spoiling too. It was my own damned fault however. I am not sure how long after ROTJ came out that my parents decided to take me to see it. It may very well have been the first week, no idea. All I know is I managed to get the magazine format version of the official Marvel Comics adaptation of the entire film and brought it home and read it cover to cover in about an hour. As I was making my way through it I remember this kind of sick feeling coming over me...first because I knew Han would be saved, then because I knew Yoda would die and Ben would tell Luke Leia was his sister...and then of course everything else including Vader saving Luke, killing the Emperor and dying...removing his mask and showing his true face. After I read it I felt "a strange kind of sadness". Not sure who I was more angry with, Marvel for laying it all out there for some dumb kid to find or at myself for being so...well....dumb.

It took me a few days to get over it and realize I could still enjoy the film but I'll now never know what my "pure" reaction to it would have been. Obviously in the days when we had to get our information from 12 channels and a couple local radio stations (and a newspaper or 2) we were less liking to inadvertently come across spoilers nor have it literally at our fingertips 24/7. I went and found myself the most direct route possible I guess.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:55:53 PM by sinkie »

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »

I am going to be struggling with this issue myself. I can't see the movie to just after the new year. It will be difficult to avoid spoilers. Everyone knows I am a big fan so I can just imagine people coming up to me asking about the new movie. It is almost to the point where I can't watch current tv, no internet, no radio, no newspaper, and not talking to anyone. I almost need to lock myself in a room from the debut to when I can see it. Thankfully, and I am hoping it helps I am heading to a sunny destination for a bit in that time period. Laying on a beach hopefully helps me stay unplugged.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 07:14:55 AM »

I have stayed pretty spoiler-free.  I can't stay unplugged for work, but I can avoid social media and anything Star Wars.  Only 5 more days!!!

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 01:25:39 PM »

Here's a great article from the Globe and Mail about why you may just want to wear headphones when lining up to go see TFA (unless you're at the very first screening)... because some SW fans are utter dbags:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/star-wars-and-the-meaning-of-life-cathal-kelly-on-the-sci-fi-series-and-its-profoundimpact/article27711624/

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »

Exactly why I paid extra to have reserved seating - so I don't have to stand in line to get in. Sadly I will have to manage the popcorn part though.... hopefully that spoiler guy isn't near me or else there are going to be angry words exchanged.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »

I think we should let it be known that physical retaliation can be expected and will be condoned by theatre staff! But headphones are also an excellent idea!

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 05:31:25 PM »

And here's exactly why you want to avoid the internet until you've seen the film:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/15/threats-made-to-spoil-star-wars-the-force-awakens-unless-demands-are-met/

I believe the term "d-bags" was created expressly to be used to describe these kinds of idiots.

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 11:58:14 PM »

Well, I'm back. :-)

Loved the movie. Just bought a ticket to go see it again at 10:00AM tomorrow. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169105
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 48
Total: 49

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 39 queries.