Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 24, 2018, 08:33:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

69 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: So, what did you think? [spoiler free reviews only, please] **CAREFUL IN HERE**  (Read 3934 times)

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile

I loved it. Since it twice already. I didn't care much for the 3D version because I kept wanting to look at the edges of the screen to see the details, but things got too distorted.

It's very different in style to the prequels and, really, even the OT. It was very obviously a JJ Abrams, to me, but still very much a Star Wars movie. I'd rank this as probably my #3 favourite Star Wars film right now. Maybe #2. I'll have to let it sink in a bit, but really, I have only positive things to say about it right now.

Well, maybe one negative thing ... I can't believe I have to wait 2 years to find out what happens!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:57:52 AM by jjreason »

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Re: So, what did you think? [spoiler free reviews only, please]
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »

My reaction is muted. I neither hated it, but surprisingly, didn't love it either.  I'm trying to digest a lot since I only just got back from the theatre... trying to decide if I even like(!) it to be honest.  But again I don't hate it.

It feels like everyone gave it their honest best; maybe I'd have gotten a better first impression of the film if it weren't for this asian idiot (note: I'm asian too...) sitting next to me eating his friggin' popcorn LOUDLY for the first 35min of the film, sending me into a murderous rage where if he hadn't run out of popcorn finally, I think I'd have killed him... so the film got off on a bad note for me since I could barely concentrate due to this moron's "crunch...crunch... crunch..." almost non-stop.  I scanned the theatre and he was the only moron who kept eating and eating... everyone else had put down their food and just watched. 

TFA is both a new beginning but also an end, both in terms of where the story takes things, but walking out of the theatre, I didn't feel invigorated about the franchise as maybe the trailers had led me to think, rather I felt just a bit downtrodden. Or maybe melancholy, like Luke at the end of RotJ when he's watching his father go to rest.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »

I loved it, but I was also very overwhelmed by it. There was a LOT to take in & even more to think about on the way home. I'm looking forward to another viewing for sure, and I can't wait to learn more about the new characters & see where this story goes.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 04:45:02 PM »

OK I have tickets for Tuesday with my family but I went today by myself so the experience would not spoiled by watching the wrong commercial or listening to the wrong TV show.  Overall 7/10.   After seeing the movie the only 3 characters I care about are BB8, Rey and Luke.    The new Darth Vader sucks.  The big big big scene in terms of OT Characters really really sucked.   JJ Abrams did a great job I thought with Star Trek.  Steven Spielberg did the fans a disservice by selling JJ for Star Wars.   Joe Johnson would have been the person to go with.   He was there when all the real magic was happening.   Disney is not the right home for Star Wars - and I love Disney - George should have never sold to them.   I wish George had made a deal with Universal.  GE could have found some money to make it happen.  And he should have insisted that his stories where the basis for the new movies.
In terms of ranking all the movies everything else is better than this one.  Hell I was hoping JAR JAR would pop in the movie.  The story is week.  It is not a stand alone movie like Star Wars was.  Because of the last scene I am looking forward to the next one - hopefully it will be the Empire Strikes Back of the series.   What is great and amazing - visually I really liked the movie but unfortunately it does not take us to new places.  Only person I thought they should not of had was the Battlestar Galactica guy.  Should you see it - obviously yes.   Will it live up to the amazing experience that you had as a child - no where near it.     
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »

Or maybe melancholy, like Luke at the end of RotJ when he's watching his father go to rest.

Totally agree with this statement.   That is how I feel right now. And no it was not the popcorn guy the movie did really disappoint you.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 05:02:15 PM »

Interesting, CJ. I've read a few people going with the "everything old is new again" argument for not liking the plot, and I'm not 100 percent against those people. You will feel like you've been in many of these situations before..... but I totally bought into the dramatic climax 100 percent, even though I knew what was going to happen (I didn't know, but I knew if that makes any sense). Poe & Finn didn't start off as strong for me, and I certainly would have done one thing different in terms of their relationship timeline - but by the end I was rooting for them.

Repeat viewings will tell the tale as to whether or not this movie will hold up. I'm always over the moon after a first viewing - even AOTC which I still think has been the stinker of the lot got me very excited. My theory is this: the parts you LOVE really get you the first time but that wears off - the parts that bug you will bug you forever - and possibly bug you more & more as time & viewings go by (did I mention the romance in AOTC or perhaps Yoda flipping around like a silly frog?).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:05:23 PM by jjreason »

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 05:02:40 PM »

I enjoyed every minute of it.

some parts were better than others, but I came away very satisfied. I need to see it again!

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »

I am hoping that my anger and hate for the movie will be lowered on the second viewing.  But in the spoiler thread I made a couple of comments - what I think is the root of my hate for the movie is the exact one you love.   But the good news is on Christmas day when my son fires up Battlefront, hopefully I will find jjreason on the battle field and I will be able to get rid of all my anger and hate for JJABRAMS.  Just joking of course.    When I see it again I am really going to try and like the movie.   

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 06:34:15 PM »

I really liked it, but I wouldn't say I loved it.  However, as has been pointed out, I think I need not only repeat viewings, but, really, episode 8 and maybe 9 to really know how much I like this, and where it ranks in the Star Wars series.  I can't wait to see it again and really start to grasp it all.

cmkjmacd

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • You must unlearn what you have learned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 07:15:42 PM »

Tooooooo  many unanswered questions. Waiting 2 years to get some of those answers is not a good thing

The_Art_of_Sith

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Jub Jub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 08:56:27 PM »

I looked it up on IMDb, it's coming out in May 2017.

pcdawg

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • I'm a llama! NOT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »

Tooooooo  many unanswered questions. Waiting 2 years to get some of those answers is not a good thing

Same.  It was epic, great aerial and ground battles.  Set pieces were nice.  Added humor which was great, good mix of old and new characters.  They just teased us and with leaving so many unanswered questions, its  a long wait before we get some answers.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 11:57:09 PM »

My exact thought when it was over was "well that wasn't epic. It was intriguing". I think I was expecting epic and instead I got a film that has me wanting (and imagining) a lot more than I thought it would.

It also felt like a film that came after about 6 other "missing films" and its structure and style was far from ANH like I had been lead to believe. ANH was done as if it was potentially a one off, we had to know who everybody was, we had to "get them" that is why they were probably done as such familiar archetypes. And the plot had to move along to get us to the climatic end and the day was won. I felt this film was much more about letting us in on what had transpired in the "missing films" and setting up a whole lot yet to come.
SPOILER BELOW:

Kylo Ren (Han called him Ben, right? Or did I imagine that?) was disturbing enough that I liked him. He was like Anakin but with a practically diagnosable mental disorder. And I think Disney's "hand" is showing on him: they took him as far as they could without making him uber-creepy. Just like much of the emotional high points of this film: They were "made safer". I felt like JJ's Star Trek packed more emotion punches and here it was as if he had to pull his punches. Example: When Rey arrives back and greats Leia near the end, the emotional weight of that moment was somewhat lost. If she had attempted to stumble out something, in full blown tears (like Frodo in LOTR) that she saw Han try, that she saw him try to bring him back...I think that would have been so much heavier...which is why I am almost positive Disney consciously decided to tone that down so 5 year olds wouldn't be destroyed and have parents fuming.

It was definitely a studio film and not a "personality driven film".

Ford was right when he said a while back we'd look at the OT characters differently now. I sure do. I look at the whole universe differently but I find it "intriguing". I'm not as blown away as I thought I'd be but I'm definitely not calling it a turd. It surprised me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:16:03 AM by jjreason »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 12:15:04 AM »

SPOILERS*******

Leia & Rey was an interesting moment there at the end.... we're all wondering what, if any relation is there between her & the Skywalker family. Luke's face upon seeing her come up the steps - recognition, or just fear that someone had finally found him & he was going to be dragged back into the mess? Maybe he felt Kylo's presence on/near her because he was probing her mind there..... wait & see I guess.

Someone else said the Leia/Rey embrace scene looked hollow or empty (I can't recall which & I'm too lazy to go looking), as though they hadn't hired enough actors OR the Resistance was comprised of only about 50 people. I thought it was a weird observation - but it made me reflect - that shot WAS a little sparse on people (or it was shot from slightly too far away & somewhat diluted the appearance of it being crowded & chaotic at that moment).

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 12:35:40 AM »

SPOILER:

Pretty sure we were made to think Rey is Luke's daughter. She touches the saber and gets that vision about being left behind and such...I think it was a pretty strong hint that the saber contained memories related to Luke. Since so much else was "guessable" I'd be pretty shocked if this were not the case. And Maz was pretty much telling her the saber was hers, no? Its going to be a "fighting cousins" thing rather than a "fighting siblings" thing like the EU played it I think.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:57:03 AM by jjreason »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169431
  • Total Topics: 14376
  • Online Today: 92
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 69
Total: 72

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 39 queries.