Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 11:47:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

41 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm REALLY excited for the novellization of TFA now!  (Read 3075 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
I'm REALLY excited for the novellization of TFA now!
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:00:46 AM »

Anyone else??? This is the first time in the history of Star Wars that the novelization of the movie hasn't appeared prior to the release of the film. From what I read, Disney made a deal with Del Rey that the book wouldn't be released until after the new year to prevent any story leakage. It has been penned by classic Star Wars & Sci Fi author Alan Dean Foster (who wrote the novelization of A New Hope and then created Splinter of the Minds Eye as a follow-up story).

The big draw for me in reading the books has ALWAYS been the extra information they provide about the characters, settings, items, species, etc - I'm really hoping this one will follow along in that tradition. My brain is BURNING to have any further information about what happened in the 30 years between ROTJ & TFA!

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm REALLY excited for the novellization of TFA now!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 08:06:43 AM »

Maybe he will completely rewrite the story and get rid of the horrible Han Solo scene. :D
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:55:25 AM »

It is out as an ebook. I have started reading it and am hoping we get a bit more details as it goes. It opens with Leia's thought process on why she sent Poe and not herself to look for clues for her missing brother. I'm going to try to burn through it in the next few days!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »

Maybe he will completely rewrite the story and get rid of the horrible Han Solo scene. :D

Ok I nearly spit lunch on my keyboard - not funny sir.  :rollfloorlaffsmiley: :rollfloorlaffsmiley: :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »

I'd be interested in knowing what went through Han's mind when it happened. That's usually what novels are best for, the interior monologue and conveying the hero's perception of the moment, and certainly this one bears out a lot of exploration... to me at least.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 07:40:50 PM »

I am going to get the paper copy when it comes out.  I'm not a huge ebook reader.  I think some insight into the characters and some back story on Ben/ Kylo Ren would be great!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:36:50 PM by brianakarobin »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »

I'm almost half way through the ebook and not much that wasn't in the film already. No details anyway just a bit more "thought process" and dialogue but really not much. Pretty sure Foster had a transcript and was told not to embellish too much.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 12:16:32 AM »

Ok so at the half way point (my Kobo said I was at 50%) there are more "new things", chapters with Leia and Threepio showing how they found out about Starkiller base and about how they found out where BB-8 was and sent in the Resistance cavalry. There is a bit more between Han, Rey and Maz also. I'm now at the part where Kylo has taken Rey and Leia has arrived. Reading Maz's stuff makes me think we're still being lead to believe Rey is Luke's daughter but that there is something else going on there. Perhaps Luke believes her dead too, someone else (possibly Kylo himself) got her to safety but Luke believes he's lost both wife and child until now. To me that could work better. Would make you realize Luke wasn't just leaving her with a criminal and then going off to meditate. And interesting too that perhaps Kylo saved his own cousin before he fully went down the dark path? Might have even mind wiped himself so as to never find himself wanting to track her down and train her?

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 01:25:11 PM »

Ok so kind of potentially spoiler like so don't read on if you don't want anything from the novel spoiled:

When Rey gets the lightsaber from the snow after Finn has been wounded, Kylo looks at her and says "it is you!" As if her being able to take the saber confirms something he's suspected all along. Of course, still not totally conclusive. He could have suspected all along that she's the "next Skywalker-like" born-to-be-a-Jedi. Or he could suspect it is Luke's daughter (whom perhaps he knew was in hiding or could not find in his slaughter and always wondered if she had got away). Anyway, the line had the italic emphasis so can't really be read as "It is you...again". It definitely sounds like something has dawned on him. Lots of mention of crying too around Leia and Rey and Han's death back at the base. Maybe there was a take (or script description anyway) of them being more emotional around that reunion?

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »

Sounds like the book does enhance the movie experience.  Can't wait to read it!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »

Picked up my copy today - I didn't think it was due out until next week but they are available. I actually made the trip to Chapters to pick up an accompanying book called "Before the Awakening" by (famed comic author) Greg Rucka, which is highly recommended by another nerd friend of mine from the US. I'll check it out & create another thread about it.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 05:28:08 PM »

I might wait for your review but I saw the cover the other day then couldn't remember the title. I like Rucka's work so maybe I'll just get it anyway. The way Disney is handling it however I'm doubtful we'll get any real insight into any of the bigger questions TFA opened up. Nice though to get a better sense of who they are of course! What could be interesting would be to have Disney give us the scoop on Rey before the next film to get it out of the way especially if it is simply that's she's Luke's daughter. That way they could jump ahead a bit and perhaps skip the "Dagobah Training" thing people are likely to complain about as being too similar to the OT.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 08:12:15 AM »

Before the Awakening is on it's way from indigo online - should be here tomorrow or Tuesday.  I am looking forward to it and the novelization of TFA.  Hopefully they will at least fill in some details, if not answer most of our questions...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »

I'm finding the novelization has extended dialogue in a good few spots - in most cases I'm totally fine with what they left in the movie, but it's nice to read. They have just left Jakku but not yet met up with Han & Chewie. I'm eagerly anticipating the flashback sequence at Maz's.

EDITED: Done the flashback & there wasn't much more in the book, in case anyone else wanted to see a fuller version of this. Of all the things they could add for me on the bluray, it would be a deleted scene showing this full flasback vision, complete with the new angle of Luke & Darth. I'm also thinking more & more I wish they had added a brief smiling "pop in" for Maz near the end, at the Resistance base, to kinda line up with R2's re-emergence at the end of ANH when we were worried about him. I know she was originally supposed to be at the base at the end of the movie, I'll advise if she's in the book past her castle sequence at all.

EDITED AGAIN: I'm nearing the end. The snowspeeder chase on SKB as well as Kylo's search of the Falcon are both present. For some reason the author decided to portray it as though going on board the Falcon didn't give away the identity of any of the assailants - I'm 100 percent sure Kylo would have either known the ship or at least sensed his Dad's presence as having been on board that recently.

Here's the blurb re. Han's challenge of Kylo (his mindset):

(Leia's request) would never go away. He made up his mind. Instead of retreating, he advanced. Instead of running for safety, he took up the challenge. There was no real choice, he told himself as he advanced to the edge of the walkway. And called out. "Ben!"

Here's an interesting line from the book I don't recall from the movie - when Rey "outforces" Kylo for Luke's saber, he says to her "It IS you!", meaning obviously he knows her/knows of her. Was this in the film??????

And one last one: Leia found herself fiddling with the seals on the front of the jacket Rey was wearing. Foolish nonsense, she told herself, even as she continued. Unworthy of her status and position. But it felt so right, and so natural to be doing so. (Because she's her mom, I'm thinking more & more, than her auntie....)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:01:30 PM by jjreason »

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »

I love it!  I can't wait to read it.  Those extra bits definitely add to things.  It jives with what we have talked about in other threads as to why Han has to go out - he knows he's not coming back, but he has to try, and Leia's comment to bring him back is what killed him, in many ways.

It's great how the speculation about Rey's parentage has been so huge.  I'm still undecided as to whether she is Luke or Han and Leia's child.  Of course, there is the whole Ben Kenobi theory running around the internet (his daughter or granddaughter, depending, although I don't know how anyone can think it's his daughter - she would be 40 years old!!!) - I don't give these much credence.  I have been thinking Han and Leia's more so than Luke from the start, and this scene with Leia adds to it somewhat, but I like that it is still a mystery.

On a side note, the Star Wars Visual Dictionary gives LOTS of extra info - I am only 1/4 of the way through, but so far, it really clarifies the whole Republic/resistance/first order dynamic to a large extent, as well as little tidbits of trivia about many things.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169109
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 41
Total: 43

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 39 queries.