Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 11:56:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

46 Guests, 1 User

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm REALLY excited for the novellization of TFA now!  (Read 3076 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: I'm REALLY excited for the novellization of TFA now!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »

I'll have to get the visual dictionary & I'll also get the story book - I have the hardcovers of the OT from when I was a kid as well as an Indiana Jones one & got I believe 2/3 of the PT softcovers as they were released. Always great pics & a good 15 minute version of the story to peruse.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 12:43:06 PM »

I just finally finished the novelization of TFA.  Overall, I enjoyed it.  Faithful to the film, while adding some good info.  The operation of Starkiller base was kind of interesting and made it more sensible than how it appears to be depicted in the movie. 

I also found the exchange on page 199-200 interesting, where Kyloe Ren is trying to get the location of the map from Rey.  As he is looking, he catches a glimpse of something "interesting" - presumably he sees a glimpse of her past and is intrigued as it is familiar.  When he decides to let the map wait, and pursues this new bit of info first.  This is how the exchange goes:

Ah, he thought to himself.  Something there, of interest.  Not the images of the map.  That would take another moment.  But definitely something worth investigating.  He shifted his perception toward it, seeking to identify, to analyze, to-
The barrier he encountered stopped him cold. And it was he, Kylo Ren, who blinked.  It made no sense. He pushed, hard, with his mind - and the probe went nowhere...

While it isn't conclusive, by any means, this would go along with the theory I had brought up in another thread that Luke (or someone) had used a force technique to block Rey's memories of her childhood, likely to keep her safe.

I also found Han and Leia's discussion about Ben interesting.  It sounds like Snoke maybe was someone they knew?  Also, it almost sounds like Leia had been trying to train Ben first, and when she saw him slipping to the Dark Side, she sent him away to train with Luke?  Not really sure, but that's how it sounded.

I'm nearing the end. The snowspeeder chase on SKB as well as Kylo's search of the Falcon are both present. For some reason the author decided to portray it as though going on board the Falcon didn't give away the identity of any of the assailants - I'm 100 percent sure Kylo would have either known the ship or at least sensed his Dad's presence as having been on board that recently.

I agree with this.  Maybe Kylo Ren had never been on the Falcon, but he would have sensed his Father.

Here's an interesting line from the book I don't recall from the movie - when Rey "outforces" Kylo for Luke's saber, he says to her "It IS you!", meaning obviously he knows her/knows of her. Was this in the film??????

That definitely wasn't in the film.  I liked it - it added to the mind probe scene, and the scene when he first heard about "the girl" - there is clearly some memory or story Kylo Ren has of a girl of importance, likely a relative (cousin or sister, who knows - or maybe a prophecy?)

And one last one: Leia found herself fiddling with the seals on the front of the jacket Rey was wearing. Foolish nonsense, she told herself, even as she continued. Unworthy of her status and position. But it felt so right, and so natural to be doing so. (Because she's her mom, I'm thinking more & more, than her auntie....)
This one is still so hard to call.  I posted a link to an article in one of the other TFA threads, indicating that they realize that fans are very eager about this, and they feel that fans are going to really like where it is going and how it is revealed.  Colin Trevorrow's quote was:
“We’re going to make sure that that answer is deeply and profoundly satisfying,”
Can't wait!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:46:52 PM by brianakarobin »

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »

On a separate note, the novelization clarifies a number of things and refutes a number of the silly rumours on the internet.  The most recent one I saw that is refuted by the novelization is one that speculates that Han "killed himself" - that he was the one who activated the blade to do himself in as some twisted way to save his son.  The book is pretty clear that Kylo Ren did it - in fact, Han didn't even touch the lightsaber in the novel at all.  These people need to do a little fact checking before going nuts on their theories :winking0071:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 01:00:29 AM »

Yeah, that one is too much.  :~/~: :speechless-smiley-004:

Darth Vicious

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »

The novelization of TFA was a far more satisfying read than all four of the new Star Wars novels I've read, COMBINED. Thank you, Alan Dean Foster.
-Darth Vicious  :maul:

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 04:28:07 PM »

I didn't realize Alan Dean Foster was the author, damn, now I really want to read the novelization (even if I am so-so on the film itself).

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »

I didn't realize Alan Dean Foster was the author, damn, now I really want to read the novelization (even if I am so-so on the film itself).

He did write it, but he wasn't given much room to improvise, let's put it that way. Certainly 100 percent a book based on a movie.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 03:17:43 PM »

He did write it, but he wasn't given much room to improvise, let's put it that way. Certainly 100 percent a book based on a movie.
Agreed.  While there were a few extras, most appear to have initially been in the script and just ended up on the cutting room floor.  Aside from the writing style, I don't think there was Much to really say it was Allan Dean Foster.

Darth Vicious

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 02:10:21 AM »

Agreed.  While there were a few extras, most appear to have initially been in the script and just ended up on the cutting room floor.  Aside from the writing style, I don't think there was Much to really say it was Allan Dean Foster.

The language that he used and eloquent word usage made for a much smoother reading experience than any of the other new Star Wars novels.

I personally liked the introspective General Leia moments, and how Poe got off Jakku on his own. Sure, the book adheres to the movie pretty snugly, even down to dialogue, but when he can stretch his legs, Foster does, and well.
-Darth Vicious  :maul:

GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169109
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 46
Total: 47

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.