Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2018, 06:16:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

27 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1723 times)

Brazoo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
Hi
« on: December 26, 2015, 11:41:01 PM »

Hi there - I'm new!

I'm in Toronto, and like many of you I've basically been a Star Wars fan my whole life. Most of my collection are items from my childhood.

I'm hoping to replace and fix a few small things so I posted an ad in the vintage classified section. I'm also just hoping to hang out and see what this forum is like.

Hope to talk to more of you soon - cheers!

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 07:59:27 AM »

Welcome!

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 08:44:58 AM »

Welcome to Snowtroopers.ca.

Unfortunately the activity in vintage section of this site has dwindled severely over the years to the point of being almost non-existant.  :sad0064:  There are still a few of us vintage collectors around so hopefully someone here might be able to help you out with the parts you need.

Have you watched TFA yet?  If so what did you think?  Is vintage Kenner your only avenue of collecting star wars or do you have other types of collectibles as well, modern Hasbro, sideshow/hot toys, busts/statues, ect?

:snowtroopers:
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »

Good to have you!  Hope you get some help in the vintage section.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 09:17:31 PM »

Welcome & I did review your post - unfortunately I can't help with any of those parts at this time. Don't give up hope!

Brazoo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 02:47:32 AM »

Thanks for welcoming me Thirdfloor!

Why do you think vintage collecting has taken such a hit over the years? I was kinda hoping the new movie would have brought a lot more excitement back to the vintage stuff.

As for the newer stuff I guess I'm kinda boring. I can only get really excited by the vintage toys. The sideshow/hot toys are amazing to look at, but they just don't draw me in like the original somewhat oddball Kenner designs. I love Megos and other vintage toys too. A friend of mine said he loved toys that really looked like toys, and that might be a good way to sum up my personal tastes too, if that makes sense?

I saw TFA, and liked it. I was really surprised by the new cast - I thought they were great. I wasn't crazy about the story, so my mind wasn't blown, but I did enjoy it. I've talked to a few little kids who reacted to it the way I reacted to Star Wars at their age, so that made me really happy. What about you?

Brazoo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 02:50:14 AM »

Thanks everyone for welcoming me and looking at my wanted list!

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 11:41:06 AM »

I saw TFA, and liked it. I was really surprised by the new cast - I thought they were great. I wasn't crazy about the story, so my mind wasn't blown, but I did enjoy it. What about you?

Welcome to the boards.  Nice to see another very intelligent person joining Snowtroopers.  Just like you, there is a group of people on this web site who have had a similar feeling about the new movie.  And then there are the other people ....   :fight:   .
Jump into the discussion regarding the movie - we could always use another voice on side of REBELS.  ;)
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Brazoo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 12:19:14 PM »

I saw TFA, and liked it. I was really surprised by the new cast - I thought they were great. I wasn't crazy about the story, so my mind wasn't blown, but I did enjoy it. What about you?

Welcome to the boards.  Nice to see another very intelligent person joining Snowtroopers.  Just like you, there is a group of people on this web site who have had a similar feeling about the new movie.  And then there are the other people ....   :fight:   .
Jump into the discussion regarding the movie - we could always use another voice on side of REBELS.  ;)

I'm a "very intelligent person"!!! Thanks Canadian Jedi, that's a first for me! Haha!

I read through the discussion and enjoyed it. It's seriously cool to see a forum where people can discuss different opinions without everything getting sour right away.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »

Brazoo on both sides there has been very good debates and points.  But I think you said what the main issue is in as few words as possible, the EXECUTIVE SURMARY.  Some of us were not crazy about the story.  It was not what we wanted to see up on the screen.  I am hoping the next one will be a better one with 2 characters I now care about Luke and Rey.  If the story is built around the 2 of them I think it could be a great one.  All I want Leia to do now is put medals around everyone at the end of the 3rd movie and have Chewie roar, and R2D2 and BB8 spin around and they cut to black.  Classic ANH ending.   
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »

Thanks for welcoming me Thirdfloor!

Why do you think vintage collecting has taken such a hit over the years? I was kinda hoping the new movie would have brought a lot more excitement back to the vintage stuff.

I don't think that vintage collecting itself has taken a hit, carded figures are selling for higher prices than they ever have.  What has taken a hit though is vintage collectors that visit and post on this site.  I think that the biggest reason for that is the fact that most of the members here in the past that were vintage collectors only ended up shifting their activity over to Rebelscum.com or other 'vintage first' sites.  Because Rebelscum has more of a worldwide membership there has always been more vintage items available for sale or trade on their site.  They have also had many hardcore vintage collectors on their site for many, many years now so their database for information regarding vintage items is vast.  This site by default ended up catering more towards modern collecting with lots of great store reports and other info.  Because there seems to be a type of racism that exists for many vintage collectors where they basically hate any modern items and sometimes even those who collect them, those type of people drifted away from here and haven't returned.  Don't give up hope that you will find someone here with the vintage items you are looking for, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if you don't.

As for the TFA, I am on the same page as you and Canadian Jedi.  I enjoyed the movie, I've only been to see it once so far.  There were definitely issues that I had with the film but they were issues that I was able to let go for the sake of enjoying the film for what it is.  While the movie follows the plot of ANH and the other OT movies somewhat, at least they didn't just do a full reboot and have new actors portray young Luke, Leia and Han.  I left the theater looking forward to the next film and seeing where the story goes and I feel that's a really good sign that I enjoyed the movie.

"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

Brazoo

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 03:22:56 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up Thridfloor. I've checked in on Rebelscum for a couple of years now, checking back from time to time, and I have gotten a few things, but I can't seem to find the final items I'm looking for. Occasionally I'll see a few items on eBay, but then the inflated prices plus crazy shipping to Canada turns me off.

I finally wised up and did a search for a Canadian Star Wars forum and found you guys!

--

I think I agree with you and Canadian Jedi about the new movie. I think some fans are maybe in a bit of a honeymoon phase, loving it more then they will later, but that's honestly cool with me. I'm happy seeing people having fun with Star Wars again and it brought my interests back to my old collection again too. I'm with you guys, I'm looking forward to the next movies too.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:24:29 AM by Brazoo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170177
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 42
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 27
Total: 30

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 38 queries.