Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2018, 03:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

43 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Box Office numbers  (Read 3395 times)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Box Office numbers
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 11:48:37 AM »

It also lines up nicely as far as merchandising leading up to Christmas.
A Star Wars film every Christmas will keep the toys stocked.
That is, if Hasbro can ever figure out how to implement a working distribution system.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 03:39:51 PM »

I agree - the Christmas release worked great for me, because my schedule was lighter and the kids were out of school, so we could be pretty flexible and go pretty much whenever we wanted.
It also lines up nicely as far as merchandising leading up to Christmas.
A Star Wars film every Christmas will keep the toys stocked.
That is, if Hasbro can ever figure out how to implement a working distribution system.
Haha - I wouldn't count on them ever getting their act together from that perspective!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »

The Force Awakens just crossed $900 million, incidentally being on day 50 of it's North American release.  It is also set to cross $2 billion worldwide today.  These numbers definitely give incentive for Disney to keep rolling with Star Wars material, and, hopefully, to make it good so that fans keep wanting to see it.

I'm still ball-parking $925 million domestic as a final tally, but who knows?  I read somewhere that Disney may decide to release the trailer for Rogue One attached to Episode 7 so that people will go back to see it.  I think it was more of a suggestion rather than a true rumour, ut I guess it is possible.  That would likely boost sales somewhat, but in this day and age of online trailers being so accessible, I doubt it would make a huge difference.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »

I still have to go one more time!!!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 03:50:55 AM »

I still have to go one more time!!!
Me, too!  Have to see Harrison Ford portray Han Solo at least once more on the big screen!

Plus, I want to see it once more after having read the book to see if I interpret any scenes differently with that new background, or pick up anything new as a result.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
TFA box offie numbers update
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 01:55:14 PM »

Star Wars held up pretty good this weekend - it only dropped 11% from last weekend!  With Monday being a holiday, it will probably make more this Monday than last, so overall, this week might end up almost the same, possibly even higher, than last week. 

Given this nice hold, it should pass my $925 million prediction, but as this is a holiday weekend, really next weekend should tell the tail - does it have another smallish drop, or is it back to the 35-50% drop per week rate that would be expected?  Even an optimistic estimate of only 25% week-to-week drops, though, would only barely clear $940 million as a total, so it doesn't look like it will crack the top 10 adjusted for inflation - Snow White holds that spot at $948 million.  It is solidly in 11th place, though, as number 12, 101 Dalmatians, is only $869 million.  On a side note, though, Snow White made $118,328,683 of its unadjusted $184,925,486 total since 1983, so Star Wars episode 7 would be on the list without counting re-releases (in fact, 6 of the top 10 had re-releases, and so would be much lower without counting those numbers).  So, if they re-release Episode 7 in the weeks leading up to episode 8, it could easily crack this top 10 adjusted for inflation list.

On again another note, if it does crack the top 10 at some point, it will be the first movie since Titanic in 1997 to crack the list, and it may be just as long, or longer, before another movie reaches these heights, in my opinion.

On the worldwide list, though, I'm having a hard time seeing it get out of that number 3 spot.  Titanic and Avatar did so phenomenally overseas, I can't see a movie topping them.  Some people talk about the recent strengthening of the US dollar hurting the box office total of Star Wars overseas, but still, it didn't perform as well as those two in the international market (not that it did poorly - $1 billion internationally still is amazing!). 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:01:08 PM by brianakarobin »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »

I saw for my fourth (and almost certainly final) time in the theatre with the whole family last night. Pleasantly, the place well well over half full, almost certainly on approach to 3/4 - much different than my final viewings of the PT movies, in which I was much closer to being alone.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 03:15:08 PM »

Yeah, the number of screens has dropped quite a bit, but it's per screen average is still pretty good.  Sadly, it is not playing I my town anymore, so I'm not sure if I will be able to see it a 5th time, which was my plan.  I think the closest theatre playing it is in Halifax, which is 3 hours away.

There has been a lot of talk about how well the Revenant has been doing due to the Oscar buzz, but it hasn't been out - (at least in wide release) nearly as long as Star Wars, and it's per screen average is below Star Wars still.

Deadpool is tearing it up, though.  I probably won't see it - on the parental guide on IMDB, it says that the F-word is used almost 100 times, and there is full frontal male and female nudity, among other things.  Certainly not one to take the kids to, and I find it annoying in movies when every other word is the F-word.  Obviously, there are lots of people who don't mind, though, so to each there own.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 09:09:39 PM »

Yeah, Deadpool is marketed more for the Robert Rodriguez crowd than the George Lucas crowd. Even the trailers were rated R, so there hopefully won't be too many parents expecting to take their 13-14 year olds for a good old fashioned superhero movie. I won't be able to take Thomas to see it either - he's about 2 years too young for me to feel ok taking him (though I'm sure he's already seen & heard worse, thanks to growing up online the way kids do these days).

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »

We went again last night - my two oldest sons and I, along with my mother, my sister and her husband, and 2 of my nephews.  It was the first time for all but my sons and I.  Everyone loved it.

It will almost certainly pass everything at the North American box office within a week - maybe even by the end of this weekend.  I don't think it will beat Avatar worldwide, but maybe Titanic.

Personally, I don't think Batman versus Superman will challenge it.  It will probably crack $400 million at the NOrth American box office, maybe even $500 million, but I doubt it will get $600 Million.
Well, after a huge drop in its second weekend (almost 70%), I think my prediction is close, although I may have been too optimistic in saying it will "probably" crack $400 million.  At this point, it's trajectory is looking worse than Deadpool, which will likely finish below $370 Million, although the faster start for Batman V Superman may give it just enough to crack $400 million, although I would say it is going to have to pick it up a bit to hit that mark.

In fact, based on how well it is holding up, Zootopia may outperform Deadpool and Batman V Superman.  I admit, I haven't seen Zootopia, but it is highly rated by critics and audiences, and is holding on like Frozen did a couple of years ago, so it has a shot at $400 million.

Now, back to the main topic, by the end of the weekend, TFA will be just shy of $935 million domestically.  I don't expect it will earn much more, given that it is now available by digital download, and will be available on Blu-Ray in a couple of days. Still, quite an impressive run, and it will be number 1 for a long time I think.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:52:28 PM by brianakarobin »

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 06:27:37 PM »

We went again last night - my two oldest sons and I, along with my mother, my sister and her husband, and 2 of my nephews.  It was the first time for all but my sons and I.  Everyone loved it.

It will almost certainly pass everything at the North American box office within a week - maybe even by the end of this weekend.  I don't think it will beat Avatar worldwide, but maybe Titanic.

Personally, I don't think Batman versus Superman will challenge it.  It will probably crack $400 million at the NOrth American box office, maybe even $500 million, but I doubt it will get $600 Million.
Well, after a huge drop in its second weekend (almost 70%), I think my prediction is close, although I may have been too optimistic in saying it will "probably" crack $400 million.  At this point, it's trajectory is looking worse than Deadpool, which will likely finish below $370 Million, although the faster start for Batman V Superman may give it just enough to crack $400 million, although I would say it is going to have to pick it up a bit to hit that mark.

In fact, based on how well it is holding up, Zootopia may outperform Deadpool and Batman V Superman.  I admit, I haven't seen Zootopia, but it is highly rated by critics and audiences, and is holding on like Frozen did a couple of years ago, so it has a shot at $400 million.

Now, back to the main topic, by the end of the weekend, TFA will be just shy of $935 million domestically.  I don't expect it will earn much more, given that it is now available by digital download, and will be available on Blu-Ray in a couple of days. Still, quite an impressive run, and it will be number 1 for a long time I think.

Zootopia was great!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »

Zootopia was great!
Good to get a first hand review from a trooper!  I don't know anyone else who has seen it, but based on the reviews and your comment, I think I will try to go with the family.

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 02:26:52 PM »

Deadpool is tearing it up, though.  I probably won't see it - on the parental guide on IMDB, it says that the F-word is used almost 100 times, and there is full frontal male and female nudity, among other things.  Certainly not one to take the kids to, and I find it annoying in movies when every other word is the F-word.  Obviously, there are lots of people who don't mind, though, so to each there own.

I've seen it and don't actually remember the full frontal female nudity.  There's a scene where they're in bed together, but his hands are on her boobs so you don't actually see boobs.  During a fight scene with Gina Curano, her boob comes out of her shirt, and Colossus stops fighting her to tell her and to let her tuck it back in, but it's hidden behind some foreground objects, so again, you don't see boob.

The full frontal male nudity is during a fight scene where Wade has busted out of his bed in the lab he's being tested in.  A fire starts, his robes burn off and you see his CGI body and get the idea that his junk is there, but it's tough to make out with the fire, the fight and the heat shimmer (not that I was trying to look for his junk....)

That being said, the language is exactly what it's been made out to be.  I took my 12 year old, only because I was taking my 16 and 17 year old boys and it's nothing the 12 year old hasn't heard from them when I'm not around, or they think I'm not around.  Amazing movie.  Best Fox superhero movie ever.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169126
  • Total Topics: 14345
  • Online Today: 78
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 43
Total: 43

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.