Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 23, 2018, 01:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

58 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Box Office numbers  (Read 3557 times)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Box Office numbers
« on: December 27, 2015, 10:37:53 PM »

Well, Episode 7 is chewing through the box office records so far.  Almost $550 million in 10 days!!  Certainly makes Disney's acquisition look like a steal.

At this point, it seems almost like a foregone conclusion that it will end up as the biggest box office success of all time (Domestically, anyway, and when not adjusting for inflation).  However, how big will it go?  Movies released this time of year tend to have better staying power, with lower drops the first few weeks, and longer legs, as there are less releases at the beginning of the year.  As such, based on it's ridiculous start and comparing to the multipliers that films this time of year tend to have, it could blow away the competition and end up close to $1 billion domestically.

Although this is not my primary concern by any means, I would love to see it do well for two main reasons:

1) It would be great to see Star Wars back on top as the box office king, as they are my favourite movies by far

2) Episode 7 is, in my mind, a worthy Star Wars sequel and worthy movie of the title of box office king.  It would have been bittersweet to see any of the prequels take the crown back when they were released...

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Box Office numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »

I was doubting this would happen because my parents have no interest in seeing it and they saw Avatar and Titanic - they are in their 80's and hardly ever go to the movies - so I assume if they go it will be a very big movie.   I hope Star Wars does not beat out James Cameron - he is after all Canadian ! Titanic $2.2 Billion in 1997 Avatar $2.78 Billion in 2009 pretty impressive numbers considering the next highest is Jurassic World a 2015 movie $1.67 Billion.  These numbers are NOT adjusted for inflation.  If you adjust for inflation Avatar is over $3 billion.

If Star Wars does become the biggest - it could be short lived with the Superman and Batman movie coming out this summer.   If it is a good movie - it could crush all records - I would assume if good it would at least pass The Avengers and Jurassic World to become either number 3  or 4 depending on how Star Wars does.

Certainly there are lots of people who have not seen the new Star Wars movie still.  All of the people in my extended family have not seen it.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »

I think the positive talk has continued the momentum from the opening causing the numbers to balloon pretty quickly. The strategic Christmas release has really worked out in Disney's favour this time.

As far as holding on to beat Titanic... I don't know. Think back, just briefly, as to how long that thing stayed in the theatre EVEN THOUGH home systems were at least in the process of becoming the things of beauty they really are today. I remember working with a girl who had seen it 7 or 8 times and was chomping at the bit to pay what I'm sure must have been close to $50 for the 2VHS tape home release the very second it came out.

The only other movies I remember sticking around that long were the OT & ET - but those were well before home theatre was a truly viable option for actually replacing going to the movies.

Avatar I honestly don't have a strong memory of it staying in the theatre that long & am actually kinda confused as to how it became & remains the box office king. Fine movie & I enjoyed it very much.... from the comfort of my living room. We never saw it in the theatre.

I have a feeling TFA is going to stick around for some time yet. I'm sure the Disney deal has forced owners to keep it in high rotation for at least a month, and those showings I don't imagine will be truly empty until about the last week or so. It should run up some pretty hefty numbers by that time. I myself am good for 2 more viewings, so add another $30 to the total.  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 06:44:52 PM »

We went again last night - my two oldest sons and I, along with my mother, my sister and her husband, and 2 of my nephews.  It was the first time for all but my sons and I.  Everyone loved it.

It will almost certainly pass everything at the North American box office within a week - maybe even by the end of this weekend.  I don't think it will beat Avatar worldwide, but maybe Titanic.

Personally, I don't think Batman versus Superman will challenge it.  It will probably crack $400 million at the NOrth American box office, maybe even $500 million, but I doubt it will get $600 Million.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »

Well it is the new year.   Star Wars still has not done half of the world wide take that Avatar did.   They are releasing it on Bluray April 5th.  So there are a lot of people who at this point may just wait for the video.   I don't know if it has the steam to pass Titanic but I think that would be it's best results at this point.   So it should be #3 maybe #2 of it can bring down Titanic .    But I am guessing Disney would be happy with joining the $2 billion club at this point.   

You know if Superman vs. Batman does really well - it could set the stage for the movie that will be the one to take #1 .......Justice League of America ....Super Friends.    Man I would love to see that movie.   And even more so what kind of villain they can dream up to take on that group of super heros. 

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 09:47:03 AM »

Batman vs Superman is really planting the seed for Justice League - no doubts there - the issue is the supporting cast. Once you get past the big 3 (Superman, Batman & Wonderwoman, who are all in this next one), what is there for help? Green Lantern is pretty awesome, but his movie was god awful by all accounts (I never watched it) or maybe Plastic Man? What about Aquaman? To quote the nerds on Big Bang Theory "Aquaman SUCKS!!!"  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

EDITED: Sorry - I hate to laugh at DC but I'm a life-long Marvel fan & my opinion is the "real" super heroes are The Avengers, Fantastic For, X-Men & Spider-Man - not those cartoon characters from the other company. ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:59:15 AM by jjreason »

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 09:48:17 AM »

Let's not forget Titanic had a re-release after all the Oscar buzz.  I remember seeing it when it came out and then again the March afterwards.  I guess that make me partly to blame for it being # 2.  That being said, I only saw Avatar once and thought it was meh.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 09:40:39 PM »

DOMESTIC GROSSES
Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation*

Note: This chart only shows the top 200 movies, regardless of sorting.
Rank   Title (click to view)   Studio   Adjusted Gross   Unadjusted Gross   Year^
1   Gone with the Wind   MGM   $1,739,604,200   $198,676,459   1939^
2   Star Wars   Fox   $1,533,609,700   $460,998,007   1977^
3   The Sound of Music   Fox   $1,226,196,400   $158,671,368   1965
4   E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial   Uni.   $1,221,365,800   $435,110,554   1982^
5   Titanic   Par.   $1,166,435,200   $658,672,302   1997^
6   The Ten Commandments   Par.   $1,127,910,000   $65,500,000   1956
7   Jaws   Uni.   $1,102,758,600   $260,000,000   1975
8   Doctor Zhivago   MGM   $1,068,806,300   $111,721,910   1965
9   The Exorcist   WB   $952,258,800   $232,906,145   1973^
10   Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs   Dis.   $938,490,000   $184,925,486   1937^
11   101 Dalmatians   Dis.   $860,287,500   $144,880,014   1961^
12   The Empire Strikes Back   Fox   $845,335,300   $290,475,067   1980^
13   Ben-Hur   MGM   $843,780,000   $74,000,000   1959
14   Avatar   Fox   $837,367,900   $760,507,625   2009^
15   Return of the Jedi   Fox   $809,851,500   $309,306,177   1983^
16   Jurassic Park   Uni.   $791,448,000   $402,453,882   1993^
17   Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace   Fox   $777,587,000   $474,544,677   1999^
18   The Lion King   BV   $767,550,700   $422,783,777   1994^
19   The Sting   Uni.   $767,520,000   $156,000,000   1973
20   Raiders of the Lost Ark   Par.   $762,215,600   $248,159,971   1981^
21   Star Wars: The Force Awakens   BV   $740,265,600   $740,265,583   2015

When you adjust for inflation.  Disney only has one movie in the top 10.   
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:42:37 PM by Canadian Jedi »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 10:16:17 PM »

I think it should be looked at in terns of number of tickets sold, never mind the inflation. I think the top 5 there are special, special movies that deserve to be set aside as all time achievements in the field of cinema, never mind how you math the money. There no way in hell TFA will ever sell as many theatre seats as Star Wars - impossible, as it should be.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:12:12 PM »

Sure, Disney only has one in the top 10, and even if TFA gets there, it will displace the other (Snow White). However, they have 4 in the top 20, and they now own the company (and therefore the sequel rights) that made 5 others.  So, 9 of the top 20 for one studio is pretty impressive. Not that I care how much money Disney makes, I just like to see Star Wars at the top where it belongs :)

I agree with JJs comments too, and no movie will ever get there - back then, movies stayed in theatres for a year or more, and they didn't have as much competition, AND (importantly), there was no such thing as DVD and Blu-Ray or even VHS so that you could buy the movie and watch it at home as much as you wanted.  It was the theatre or bust!

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »

How Star Wars is doing in China:

"There is no shame or failure in the idea that Star Wars: The Force Awakens is not turning into the biggest thing ever in China. The film is already a monster hit in most of the territories it has played in, including America of course, and it’s going to end its global run as the second or third-biggest movie of all time. Maybe it will pass the $2.186 billion earned by Titanic (including that 2012 3D reissue) or maybe it won’t. With $1.7 billion and counting, including around $816 million to date in America, it’s already exceeding all-but-the-most outlandish box office predictions.

So when I spend the rest of this post discussing the “good but not great” box office performance in what is the second-biggest movie going market, that doesn’t mean that The Force Awakens is magically a failure or a flop. It just means that pipe dreams of the seventh Star Wars film utterly dominating Chinese cinemas may have been just that.

Yes, the film seems to be falling faster than expected in China. Following a $33 million opening day, on a Saturday, the film plunged 35% to $20.7m on Sunday and then dropped another 65% on Monday for a $7.2m gross. It dropped 17% on Tuesday for a $6m gross and a new $66m four-day total. Disney was able to sell the debut as the biggest Saturday-Sunday opening of all time because basically no major blockbuster had ever opened on a Saturday before. According to China Film Insider, younger Chinese moviegoers aren’t quite getting into it, and the reviews and word-of-mouth are closer to Spectre than to Furious 7. At this rate of descent, it’s looking like the Walt Disney DIS -1.00% blockbuster will “only” make around $150m during its theatrical run.

Say it with me now… Can this franchise be saved?

Attempted catchphrases aside, that speculative $150 million finish would be a larger Chinese total than Spectre ($83m), Terminator Genisys ($112m), The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies ($121m), Iron Man 3 ($121m), and Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation ($136m). But if that over/under $150m total plays out (and of course this isn’t set in stone), it’ll have earned noticeably less than Transformers: Dark of the Moon ($165m), Avatar ($209m), Jurassic World ($228m), Avengers: Age of Ultron ($240m), Transformers: Age of Extinction ($320m), and Furious 7 ($390m). It would appear that part of the big opening day number came from the fact that it debuted at the end of a blackout period, which also partially explained Terminator Genisys‘s monster $27m opening day back in August, as well as its front-loaded run. 

Again, for pretty much any other franchise, this would be a fine performance. But there was a perhaps naive presumption that Star Wars: The Force Awakens would be as big of a hit (relatively speaking) in China as it has been in America through sheer force of marketing will. I was never a huge believer in that notion, specifically because Star Wars is a firmly entrenched mythology and a long-running franchise that means a lot more in America than elsewhere. In America, The Force Awakens is the next great Star Wars movie. In much of the world, it’s just another sci-fi action blockbuster in an industry with plenty to choose from."

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »

I agree with JJs comments too, and no movie will ever get there - back then, movies stayed in theatres for a year or more, and they didn't have as much competition, AND (importantly), there was no such thing as DVD and Blu-Ray or even VHS so that you could buy the movie and watch it at home as much as you wanted.  It was the theatre or bust!

^ All this ^
And for highly popular films like Star Wars, they were re-released in theatres, sometimes multiple times over the span of a couple years. That all adds up. Like brian said, there was little-to-no home video market at the time.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 07:32:18 PM »

Well, like or hate episode 7, one good thing is that, thanks to the money, we can look forward to new Star Wars movies for a very long time!
I would guess now that it will end up in the $900-$925 million range to finish up for North America.  It will have to settle for 3rd all-time internationally, and likely the same world wide, as the international totals for Titanic and Avatar are too crazy to come close to.  It should crack $2 billion world wide, though, I expect.
I found it interesting today to read that Episode 8 has been pushed back to December 2017.  They say that it is because Rian Johnson has to do some rewrites on the script, but I wouldn't be surprised if Disney wants to see if they can repeat another Christmas Box office miracle  :P

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 09:21:16 PM »

I enjoyed the holiday release, something that was kind of super fun before regular Christmas super fun, especially with kids involved in both!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 10:02:57 PM »

I agree, I think the Christmas release worked nicely & have no problem with the delay. Of course my expectations are now through the roof.  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169409
  • Total Topics: 14375
  • Online Today: 88
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 37 queries.