Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 25, 2018, 08:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

54 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The End of Modern Day Star Wars Collectables  (Read 1451 times)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
The End of Modern Day Star Wars Collectables
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:34:30 AM »

When I look at the quality of modern day toys whether it be the actual toy or the paint job, this combined with the cost of the items.  I wonder if the end of modern Star Wars collecting is near.  The quality of what Hasbro is putting out is a lot lower then what it has been over the past 10 years.   Do you think we will every see toys like the BMF again?  For me I thought Hasbro made a shift in the way they developed and sold Star Wars toys after their success in selling Angry Bird Star Wars toys.  Make it cheap and sell it for as much as you can get.   I also wonder if Hasbro has done the modern day collector a favour.  The toys  that were bought over the last 10 years are hirer quality and were available for less money. So based on what current Star Wars items are selling for - I would think most collectors would be able to sell their collections and get their money out of them.  I mean most of the figures on sale over the last 10 years were $5 - $10 for SA well packaged figures vs. Walmart $15.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: The End of Modern Day Star Wars Collectables
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:12:15 PM »

My theory is that Disney is going to "force" collectors to get the items they want from their stores eventually, meaning the better quality stuff. As soon as whatever deals are in place lapse, I foresee Disney Store having the 3.75" articulate figures and the rest being stuck with the 5POA, just as one example.

CloneCommander1138

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 01:02:14 PM »

I can see this happening. The Force Awakens toy launch is a big indicator for this. Hasbro or possibly the retailers, for some reason, cannot even keep product on the shelf. I went to the Disney store and they had everything that they said they would (the Elite Series) and hundreds of each. If they took over just the regular line, I think I would be fine with this.

I am tired of having to import the whole set of figures from online retailers every time I want a few figures from a set. In the long run it does cost me less, because of all the gas and time I spend looking for the single box that the 5 Wal-marts near me get, or going to Toys R Us and finding nothing at all... or finding them and then having them cost more that the American import...

Hasbro can't keep its priorities straight. They have been grasping at straws for the last few years in my opinion. Look at the Rebels line. Instead of making cool, super articulated figures with detailed vehicles, we get 5 POA and small vehicle shells. But they also released that "Command" line garbage that is still crowding shelves today. Now they have these "Hero Masher" things that kids supposedly like (Apparently not, as that is all that is on the shelves now). Clearly its not the collectors or kids making these bad product decisions, somehow, we get blamed in the end (Collectors want figures that don't sell according to Hasbro).

Not sure why they think they need the product variety. Looking at the Kenner line, the focus was very clear. Action figures with ships.

Hasbro doesn't know what anyone wants. They cancelled lines with that people loved like Titanium (finally brought it back at a higher cost but lower value) and the Comic Packs. They send a bunch of exclusives to stores that are not available everywhere (Target, KMart, etc) and those places get overstocked.

I don't have faith in them continuing the toy line. Not sure who will take over, but Disney seems very interested in making quality collectibles. I don't know ???
CC1138

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »

It may deter some of us old time collectors who remember the old lower prices, but overall I don't think it stop the younger fans from collecting.
Sure the prices are high - it's called inflation.  Heck I remember when bread was 25 cents a loaf, but at $3 plus these days we will still buy it.
Actually, collectors have more choices than ever:  5 POA, multi-packs, super articulated, six inch, die cast, 12 inch, and even more in the higher end figures.  They have covered all price points.
I must admit as an old collector that I am being much more specific in what I buy.  No way am I trying to be a completist.  But it more a space factor rather a price thing.  I just don't have the room to display everything properly.

skywalker1973

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 01:10:19 PM »

I was thinking about how the Ep7 Hasbro Falcon is definitely made more for the kids rather than collectors if you compare it to the BMF from a few years back, and because of that it was a little disappointing for the collector. But then when I think of it, this season's big ship for collectors wasn't the Falcon, it was the Black 6 inch TIE Fighter. I honestly never would've guessed we'd ever see any ships at 6 inch scale bigger than a Speeder Bike or Landspeeder so if Hasbro keeps making kid friendly offerings alongside collector friendly ones (and we keep buying them ) I'd say we're in for good times in the months and years ahead.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:21:17 PM »

Do you think we will see much in the way of OT stuff anymore?  My guess is we will not.  I think the success of the latest movie and next December release of Rogue One will mean the end of OT and obviously extended universe is gone forever.   It was great while it lasted - like Old Man Ben said - I think I will be significantly pairing down what I do collect.    Hopefully Hasbro will amaze us with a BIG 3/4" vehicle , but I am not holding my breath.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 11:28:33 PM »

Well in the TFA line so far there have been the following OT figures by my math:

5POA Bespin Luke & Darth (which were from the scene that didn't make the final edit of TFA, but in fairness they are OT figures)
5POA Jedi Luke with the build a weapon/build armor part ($15 5POA)

SA 3.75" Endor Han
SA 3.75" Ceremony Leia
SA 3.75" Chewie (which could really also be from TFA, but I'll include him here)
SA 3.75" Jedi Luke

Which is 7 figures out of what, 40? That's not a bad ratio - the problem is, only 1 of them is a new or significantly updated OT figure.

I think we'll see more from the OT - it's just going to be a matter of whether or not it's desirable stuff.  :r2d2line:

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:16:03 AM »

it will be interesting to see what transpires in the next couple of years. I just don't think Hasbro can sustain these price points. It seems like we have a star wars sale every few weeks at either TRU or Walmart.

A also think a large portion of the adult fanbase has transitioned to the "high end stuff" which may play a role in Hasbro's decisions. It is better to have ten articulated hasbro figs for about $15 a pop, or one Sideshow 1/6 scale figure for about $150? But of course, the Sideshow stuff keeps increasing in price too, never mind the crazy money Hot Toys goes for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169431
  • Total Topics: 14376
  • Online Today: 87
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 54
Total: 56

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 38 queries.