Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Commlink

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2017, 07:39:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

68 Guests, 5 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aftermath: Life Debt  (Read 594 times)

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Aftermath: Life Debt
« on: July 12, 2016, 06:53:38 PM »

io9.com has posted an excellent summary of the newest pre-TFA novel, Aftermath: Life Debt

http://io9.gizmodo.com/all-the-secrets-of-the-star-wars-galaxy-revealed-in-aft-1783530356

For those who can't be bothered to read the novel, it's a very detailed listing of the major reveals and spoilers. It takes place before Bloodlines (despite my less than impressed view of TFA, this was a novel that I enjoyed greatly though not everyone may warm to all the politicking)

The biggest reveal of them all... the name of the Rancor from RotJ was...  Pateesa.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Darth Vicious

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Only a Sith deals in absolutes.
    • View Profile
Re: Aftermath: Life Debt
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 02:39:47 AM »

:indifferent0020: I hope for your sake this novel is much less of an absolute bore than the first Aftermath that I couldn't finish.
-Darth Vicious  :maul:

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »

I'll let you know when I read it  :)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 04:30:26 AM »

Well, it was 2 months before I got around to it, but I finally got to read this and really liked it.  The details about the Operator AKA Admira Gallius Rax and his origins were interesting, and certainly raise interesting questions about his possible future in the new Star Wars universe. Looking forward to the final chapter in the Aftermath trilogy, which is in February.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:27:42 PM by brianakarobin »

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 11:48:35 PM »

in the new Stat Wars universe.

There is only one universe.  The EU never happened.

Just ordered the first book, will probably pick this one up before it gets here though cause I don't want to lose out on it while I can still find it in HC. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 06:30:40 PM »

in the new Stat Wars universe.

There is only one universe.  The EU never happened.

Just ordered the first book, will probably pick this one up before it gets here though cause I don't want to lose out on it while I can still find it in HC.
They never said it never happened. They said they are like legends. When you read a history book, or a biography, or whatever, you are assuming that the person/people who wrote it got their facts right. But sometimes they didn't. The stories from the EU are like tales told around the campfire - probably a lot is real, but there is always a healthy dose of exaggeration thrown in to make the story more interesting.

In addition, much of the old EU is now cannon, as the new books and comics, the TV shows, and the movies keep re-introducing bits from it, legitimizing it as cannon.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 12:58:11 AM »

They never said it never happened. They said they are like legends. When you read a history book, or a biography, or whatever, you are assuming that the person/people who wrote it got their facts right. But sometimes they didn't. The stories from the EU are like tales told around the campfire - probably a lot is real, but there is always a healthy dose of exaggeration thrown in to make the story more interesting.

In addition, much of the old EU is now cannon, as the new books and comics, the TV shows, and the movies keep re-introducing bits from it, legitimizing it as cannon.

I would say "some of the old EU is now cannon..."  Thrawn, Rukh, and a few other minor elements have made their way over to the canon side.  And I'm not saying that going forward more Legends elements shouldn't be brought over, I'm just saying that I was never a fan of the EU - though I did collect the hardcover novels, and read a lot of the comics - irony, I know.

New Jedi Order, Yuuzhan Vong, people always cloning themselves, etc. are things that I didn't like about the old EU.  I've mentioned it before, that I'm glad Disney took over Star Wars.  Forming the Lucasfilm Story Group was a great idea. 

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:44:02 AM »

[quote author=cash_fan link=topic=23593.msg218007#msg218007 date=1494133091I've mentioned it before, that I'm glad Disney took over Star Wars.  Forming the Lucasfilm Story Group was a great idea.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was always lukewarm towards the EU. It never really got under my skin in a good way. Always felt like it was reaching and coming up short...A for effort but never really anything to rival the films.

Once the PT hit it became obvious that there needed to be other visions brought to the table. Not that I think Lucas is an idiot or talentless but he just didn't seem to get what it was to make a solid, entertaining film anymore. His ideas were good but the overall execution just wasn't doing it for me and felt like he was squandering what he'd done such a fantastic job getting off the ground in the first place.

So far, Disney and the story group seem to be getting it right in my opinion. There seems to be a sense of fun and action and pacing back into the films. Time will tell but so far I'm extremely happy with Disney having taken over and giving others a time in the sandbox. After all, George may have invented the sandbox but most people working on the new films grew up getting to know that sandbox intimately and their imaginations explored it in ways I think George did not because he simply had a different relationship to it. Creator of and then living with all the fall out (for better and worse) gave him a much different relationship to the franchise than those who loved it and lived it without all the baggage.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »

Agree with you sinkie!

Just to add, I was always appreciative of the old EU because it kept things going.  I just didn't like it.  In a way, it was left to govern itself.  Authors could apply to write a novel to Lucasfilm and get approved for the license, and then it was up to the author to make sure the story fits into the universe without contradicting any other works. 

I prefer the new way better with the Story Group. 

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »

Agree with you sinkie!

Just to add, I was always appreciative of the old EU because it kept things going.  I just didn't like it.  In a way, it was left to govern itself.  Authors could apply to write a novel to Lucasfilm and get approved for the license, and then it was up to the author to make sure the story fits into the universe without contradicting any other works. 

I prefer the new way better with the Story Group.
I do agree with that. Even as someone who will staunchly defend the EU for the good stories that were there (but still recognizes the many lame ones, as well), I think the biggest problem was the randomness - stories would just take place whenever, wherever, with whoever.

They started to fix that part in the end - the New Jedi Order, the Dark Nest trilogy, the Legacy of the Jedi, and Fate of the Jedi series all were part of one big story arc, which was the right way to do it, whether or not you liked the actual stories. I do like how the Lucasfilm Storygroup is going forward in that direction.

Also, I should have specified earlier - when I said much of the old EU was now cannon, that is limited to the pre-ROTJ timeline. Everything that took place after ROTJ in the old timeline is basically re-written. Most of the stuff before is in no man's land - neither contradicted nor written in. But many stories, places, and characters have been canonized by being referred to in current cannon stories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 167188
  • Total Topics: 14236
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 68
Total: 73

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 39 queries.