Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 01:00:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

70 Guests, 3 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars Bandai kits  (Read 426 times)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Star Wars Bandai kits
« on: July 22, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »

I was unimpressed by the news late in 2015 that Hasbro would no longer be utilising vac-metal on their upcoming 6" C-3PO. Then we heard that that 3PO would be the red-armed version from Episode 7, which I have zero interest in, and that it would likely not come with extra OT parts. So, I decided to look for other options, and stumbled upon the new model kits that Bandai sells in Japan. These kits are highly detailed and offer a decent amount of articulation. They do not require glue, and paint is purely optional.

I was so impressed that I bought 8 of the kits, even though I was initially only looking for a vac-metal 3PO to use in my planned 6" shelf (once I finally get around to setting it up). The prices I found were quite reasonable, averaging in the $20-$30 range shipped, from an ebay seller in Japan, and shipped very quickly. The OT kits I bought are Stormtrooper, Sandtrooper, Darth Vader, Boba Fett, C-3P0, and R2-D2 / R5-D4. I also picked up 2 of the ST sets, Phasma and R2-D2 / BB-8. Even though I wasn't really looking to have any ST figures in my collection, I couldn't pass up a vac-metal Phasma, and I also wanted an extra R2 mold to customise the paint into a different astromech (easily done with a model kit).

Up first was 3PO. I ended up adding a little bit of paint in some of the detail work, mainly the abdominal wiring, with a bit on his hands and inside his backplate (which is removable). While the kit comes with parts to do pretty much any OT version of 3PO (like dangling eyeball, restraining bolt, dented head casing, etc) I decided to go with a clean, vanilla version. Here are some photos:

old man ben

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • "Born to Collect!"
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Bandai kits
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 04:43:30 PM »

He looks great.  Is he the same scale as the 6" Black Series?

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Bandai kits
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »

He looks great.  Is he the same scale as the 6" Black Series?

The Bandai figure kits are all 1/12 scale. Not sure if that is exactly the same as Hasbro's 6" scale, but if it's not it's close enough to me. Not that Hasbro is 100% consistent with their scaling anyways.

Here is the post that led me down this path, he's got some comparison pics with other 6" figures shown farther down:
http://www.actionfigurenews.ca/boards/showthread.php?p=77493#post77493
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169097
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 70
Total: 73

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 38 queries.