Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 01:42:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

54 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: TVC collection  (Read 1123 times)

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
TVC collection
« on: August 18, 2016, 10:10:33 AM »

Not sure this is the right place to ask but I'm considering trying to sell my carded TVC collection (or loose, not sure yet) as one big lot as I'd rather not get stuck with pieces. Though of course I may go down that road if I actually decide to sell at all.

I collected only the OT figures so I have a complete (with some variants too) OT TVC carded and loose collection.

I'm thinking of selling one of them and I'm assuming the carded would fetch more.

Does anyone have any idea how much I should price these at? I've been searching eBay but not finding anything similar nor even any larger lots of TVC figures. Individual figure prices vary of course but there are a few pieces anyway that seem to be going for $40-$60 per figure. Not asking anyone to do the work/math for me just wondered if anyone has stumbled upon a complete OT collection and knew what it was going for before I either over/under price it...if I sell. God so hard to decide!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: TVC collection
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 11:22:20 AM »

I would suggest an ebay auction with a set reserve price equal to the starting bid, so you don't get stuck with less $ than you really want. Try to figure out what the bare-bones minimum you'd accept for the lot is & set the price to that (or a hair higher if you don't NEED to sell the figures). I would suggest you'd have significant interest in a lot like that & folks would bid it up nicely. Shipping it might present an issue but there are ways to deal with that.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 11:24:31 AM »

Thanks JJ! That could work! I've avoided dealing on eBay recently since I had a couple bad experiences and would be loathe to get ripped off on this one! But I'm sure I could do everything possible to avoid fraud and would probably contact eBay directly to ask for advice since I imagine this lot would fetch a higher price and getting ripped off at that level would, well, suck massively!

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »

It's good for the seller in that regard, you don't ship anything until you've received full payment for the item & shipping!

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »

Yeah, I had at least one experience (though I'm trying to recall my other experiences that have soured me on eBay) where the buyer actually paid then told eBay I never sent the item...of course I trusted the buyer when they asked to have cheapest shipping possible and since I had not been ripped off up to that point...anyway I had no way to prove it in ebay's eyes even though I did have emails from the guy saying flat out he received it but claiming that the charges had been reversed because of a problem with his bank...he kept stringing me along but eBay said they would not look at such emails and only dealt with the transaction and any shipping numbers! So I was out of luck on that one! Then the guy gets kicked off eBay because he ripped off other sellers at the same time but still...no recourse!

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 03:40:02 PM »

Why not try posting it for sale here or on the RScum marketplace first?  Ebay's going to wind up charging fees and paypal fees, you won't get as much in the end compared to a fee-free listing somewhere else.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 03:55:49 PM »

Yeah for sure, would do that and probably first but given that we're not a large number and I'm guessing most people have these (or at least the bulk of them), I figured there wouldn't be anyone interested in the entire lot. But I guess you never know? How about you? Any interest in a (what I imagine would be) a second entire carded OT TVC collection?

NuroSith

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 04:43:53 PM »

For my part, I have already buy here on the forum. very good experience. in the following way, not by lot but by items. I think that it's fine for the seller.
Sinky ! I'm on MTL, so we bit the same meet for CTVs loose like MIB.  :u:
I hope you find your pleasure here.let me know Sinkie

DarthMark

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 05:13:25 PM »

I have had great experiences on this forum as a buyer as well as on RScum.

I think however you would get the highest ''raw'' price from ebay like jjreason described, but I don't know what would be your net benefit after fees/shipping.

I am actually looking for a set of TVC (so maybe others here could be as well) - PM sent
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:16:04 PM by DarthMark »

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 10:45:17 PM »

I know how you feel sinkie, I've got 2 complete case-fresh sets of carded TVC still sitting in boxes. I'm a loose collector so one set was to open up, but for the only time ever I bought a 2nd set to display MOC since they look so great. Alas, I seriously doubt I will ever make the time or space to display them. So, the obvious solution is to sell off my 2nd set, especially with the prices some of them are going for on ebay these days.

And therein lies the problem - I've heard of too many horror stories about ebay not supporting sellers in recent years, with dishonest buyers making off with both the item and the money. Tracking numbers are a must now, which really kills a lot of deals due to Canada Post being so expensive to ship to US with tracking included. That leaves forums, however I find that for the most part, collectors on forums (especially Rebelscum) tend to be looking for deals rather than wanting to pay market value. I admit to being that way myself a lot of the time. So if you list at ebay prices, you get called a scalper, get low-balled, or just flat-out ignored.

Anyways, I'd be curious to hear how you end up making out with it, maybe I can pick up some tips for when I get around to selling off my own!

Darth Cujo

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • mmmmoooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 12:05:29 AM »

Yes with eBay nowadays as a seller you definitely need to ship with tracking. Even though you get paid up front all the power is in the hands of the buyer. If a buyer opens a dispute they freeze your money until you can prove to ebay you are in the right. It pretty much guilty until proven innocent. Good for buyer protection but sellers are vulnerable. When I sell on ebay now I only ship insured with tracking. This way if there's a problem I can give a refund and make a claim. Unfortunately this probably loses me bidders. Due to this and their ever increasing fees Ebay only seems worthwhile with bigger $ value items anymore. Ebay takes 10% and then PayPal gets their cut.

As for selling if you are fixed on selling as a lot I would probably check ebay SOLD (not just listed) prices for individual figures, add them up for a total and knock off 30 - 50 %. Doesn't sound too good but with that many figures even if you avg. $10 per figure you're probably looking at what $700 $800 . There's probably not many people willing to drop that kind of cash in one shot.

You're best bet is list the whole thing here as individual pieces based on ebay minus a bit and see what offers you get. Maybe sell one or two of the big $$items on ebay.

The vintage collection is pretty in demand these days. With skyrocketing retail prices and not much hope for SA 3.75 the really nice figures from that era ar going to command a premium. Or at least retain their value. They won't likely get pushed into obsolescence like the mid 90s to mid 2000s figures have.

PS Don't sell the set!! You collected like i did. OT only (with a few exceptions) and this set of carded figures is by far the nicest modern set of figures in a star wars collection. Even if you don't have space to display them they can still be enjoyed.  :D :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:14:40 AM by Darth Cujo »

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 07:38:37 AM »

I sold a Canadian GIJoe Con set to a guy in the UK - he ripped me off the same way - claiming not to have received the item and he got the credit.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »

Well the other alternative is to maybe get a booth at one of the toyshows (maybe not the big toyshows since I think they charge too much for a table) and try to sell the figures individually there (or offer a deal for the lot, but you'd probably luck out more selling them individually).

Or get a spot at the flea market maybe? Although I doubt anyone going to the flea market is going to pay ebay level prices.  The only place to really get ebay rates is from the suckers (which sometimes includes me) who buy from ebay.

I still don't find anything wrong with craigslist or kijiji... the only downside is that you have to then make the time to meet with buyers (who sometimes then fail to show up or worse, show up and then try to negotiate a lower price).  There's probably no no-cost, hassle-free, way to sell your wares, it's just a choice of what to compromise on.

edit: personally I think you should keep both sets, TVC will probably remain the best that Hasbro will ever produce for the 3.75" line, ever, given the current state of things.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:10:28 PM by napseeker »
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »

I sold a Canadian GIJoe Con set to a guy in the UK - he ripped me off the same way - claiming not to have received the item and he got the credit.

ya, i got ripped off on ebay once too. i knew they guy was shady cause of the way he was talking to me a bit. i had a feeling i was going to have problems with him and i ended up getting screwed too :( the funny thing was i saw he posted what i sent on rebelscum 2 1/2 weeks after i shipped it! 'ooh, i never got it'' lol. f you bud! :P sadly though, i found it on rebelscum after the claim part but it wouldnt of mattered anyway cause without a tracking number you are screwed and cant prove anything. so lesson learned! plus i wont sell on ebay anymore. too many fees plus like others said they protect the buyer way more. most people are fine. but their are always a few bad apples in the bunch!

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »

Here's an idea, if you do end up selling on ebay (or even on a forum).

Divide the lot up into a few smaller lots, maybe by wave (helpful for collectors may have missed out on certain waves),  or by film / scene theme (helpful for diorama collectors). This still lets you post them in lots, but makes the lots smaller, and therefore lower total prices to keep more bidders interested. It also splits up the shipping into smaller boxes, and spreads the "sellers' risk" over several transactions.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169112
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 79
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 37 queries.