Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 21, 2018, 08:22:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

74 Guests, 5 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hatchimals - Not Star Wars related but quite pissed off  (Read 1370 times)

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Hatchimals - Not Star Wars related but quite pissed off
« on: October 28, 2016, 09:11:22 PM »

There's a new toy in town. And it'll be the most sought after toy for Xmas this year.

It's called Hatchimals. It's exclusive to Walmart stores.

The thing is basically an electronic medium size furry animal (penguin-like, dinosaur-like and butterfly-like) in a plastic egg. You need to "warm" it for some time before it hatches into one of the 3 possible animals. You don't really know what you get in the egg it seems, nor its color. After it hatches, the animal apparently"comes to life" and you can interact with it.

Maybe it does something more, but I dunno. Haven't read through everything about this. But I saw it earlier this week at my local Walmart store and thought it could be a nice Xmas gift for my daughters. Although it's priced rather high at 80$ + taxes (so 92$ each here in Quebec). My wife seemed a little annoyed, and I agreed to let go of this idea and thus have put the two ones I picked up on the shelves.

But then my two daughters saw some videos on Youtube. When I looked at it, there they were: the Hatchimals. My daughters found their existence by themselves and now it's on top of their XMas list.

So I went back to my two local Walmart stores tonight. Only to find out there were no more of the 30+ units I saw at each store. So I thought to myself: maybe Walmart pulled them back and put them in their backstore because they had a street date to release them for XMas time. But then, I remember what happened 3 years ago with the Frozen phenomenon: the toys were released 2 months before XMas and they were sold out in a few days, and the worried parents couldn't find anything Frozen-related for their kids at Xmas.

So I went and asked the two toy aisles associates. And what they told me simply enraged me.

They told me: "A guy came and bought them all two days ago. He said he was buying them for his nursery. He apparently bought the stock from at least the two nearby stores."

I told him: "A guy bought everything for his day-care center? And you believed that? At 92$ a piece? As gifts for the kids going at the day-care center? You've been tricked by a scumbag scalper!! You know how much these are sold on eBay right now? 150$ a piece."

Damn, I hate this. Walmart should know better. They let a scalper buy all these high-sought toys right before Xmas. There'll be a rarity and some parents will throw huge amounts just to make sure their kids get this toy. It's really disgusting. It's awful.

I am thinking of bringing this up to the each of the store managers, and to raise the point to Walmart Canada. Just for them to understand that they are implicitly allowing a scumbag to release their "exclusive" product (exclusive no more!) on the high-priced secondary (black) market. They should know better. A limit of 2-03 units per customer would make sense. And would allow everyone to get a unit for their kids. Now, they'll just be a bunch of very angry customers and parents.  >:(

A proof? I managed to grab one unit that was lying on a higher shelf. Two mothers saw me and approached me instantaneously. Asking me if I wanted it. Asking me if I really wanted it because their kids wanted it for XMas. I told them I was buying it for my kids, that I needed two and thus was missing one. One of the mother apparently didn't really believed me and I saw her following me discreetly through the aisles until I reached the cash registers.

Anyway, I really hate scalpers. If I ever cross paths with this scumbag (and I think I will very soon: there's a Toy Show in Montreal mid-November), I will tell him what I think of him. I will take pictures and put his mug on websites, Facebook and probably make some scene at his table just for people and customers around him to acknowledge what scam he's about to pull.  :mad0137: >:(
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Re: Hatchimals - Not Star Wars related but quite pissed off
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 11:23:06 PM »

These types of people definitely need to be shamed and called out for their greed... that said, I'm always amazed at how aggressively parents go after popular toys in order to secure the ideal XMas present for their kids (or sometimes grandkids or nieces/nephews).

I'm not a parent so it's possible I'd be no different, but I don't think it's a bad thing to just get the kid something else other than their top 3 wishlist items for XMas or a birthday. I mean, it does sort of train them to not automatically assume that they'll always get what they want in life if they simply put it on a list and hand it off their folks or grandparents. 

Parents all chasing after the same toy, fostering a herd mentality, just feeds the scalpers even more and causing parents to waste a ton of time and money for a toy that by next XMas, may wind up at the back of the closet anyway. Sometimes it's better just to "let it go" and maybe after the hype and furor has died down, acquire it at a more reasonable price (i.e. after XMas has passed).  If it's really that popular, the toy company will certainly make more.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:32:06 PM »

There's a new toy in town. And it'll be the most sought after toy for Xmas this year.

It's called Hatchimals. It's exclusive to Walmart stores. ...

Sorry JP, am I missing something? It appears Hatchimals are also being sold at Indigo, ToysRUs and Mastermind Toys or at least there are product pages for Hatchimals on their websites. Not that it helps much as none of them currently have stock online. ToysRUs and Mastermind Toys indicate a limit of 2 per customer.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

fishfan

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • you talkin to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 09:02:08 AM »

It's quite possible that each retailer carries them, but the they all have exclusive animals.  4 at Walmart, 4 at TRU etc.

Thankfully my youngest is 13 and I don't have to deal with this sort of thing anymore. 

I do hate scalpers, and I do hate Walmart's open sales policy (no limits for most things), but it's a sellers market for these things and as slimy as they are, these guys have learned to take advantage of an opportunity.  The best way to discourage it is to not buy at over inflated prices. 

Most parents now however are caught up in the FOMO mentality (Fear Of Missing Out) and do what they can so their kids aren't the one without the next big thing...another thing that I was guilty of, but have since got over and my kids understand why.

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 10:07:50 AM »

It's quite possible that each retailer carries them, but the they all have exclusive animals.  4 at Walmart, 4 at TRU etc.

I should have looked a little deeper at the Hatchimals website. It indicates Burtles are exclusive to Walmart and Owlicorns are exclusive to TRU with Pengualas and Draggles being non-exclusive.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth." B5 - Vorlon saying

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 10:52:32 AM »

It's called Hatchimals. It's exclusive to Walmart stores. ...

Sorry JP, am I missing something? It appears Hatchimals are also being sold at Indigo, ToysRUs and Mastermind Toys or at least there are product pages for Hatchimals on their websites. Not that it helps much as none of them currently have stock online. ToysRUs and Mastermind Toys indicate a limit of 2 per customer.

LOL You are correct! Never saw this! I was so pissed off when I was told a scalper hoarded all the Walmart Stock that I was carried by the Dark Side. The rage had me carried away! I'm becoming a Sith Lord!!

So yes it seems that each retailer has their own exclusive. Wow. Another trick to empty the pockets of the parents. LOL  :tongue0024:

Thanks for the notice and sorry guys if I got carried away! It seems I should learn patience... :/
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

General Brashin

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Dung heap ransacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »

Saw Hatchimals at a Canadian Tire - 79.99. They only had Pengualas and there was a limit of 2 per customer.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 08:25:02 PM »

One of these is available to order online at Walmart.ca right now.

Sunday 8:24 pm EST.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 04:34:52 PM »

Moving to Off Topic now that the dust has settled a wee bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169375
  • Total Topics: 14374
  • Online Today: 89
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.