Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2018, 07:25:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

55 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 3/4 Fan's Choice  (Read 5050 times)

Eradicator

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Join me and together we can rule the Galaxy!
    • View Profile
Re: 3 3/4 Fan's Choice
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2017, 10:02:37 AM »

I don't understand why Ahsoka has so many votes. Nothing against her but Hasbro has already punched out a bunch of her figures and I just saw one of the re-released Black Series figures sitting on the shelf this past weekend.

I am a bit confused about the Tonnika sisters. When that 6" poll hit a few years ago I recall that Hasbro said nothing was off limits and I believe some of the websites did check on this. If they could offer her in 6" format why not 3.75"?

It looks like Doctor Aphra is running away with this one. In the past Hasbro has produced a number of the figures that didn't win anyway and perhaps they didn't allow certain characters and picked others because they have plans to make them anyway.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:20:49 AM by Eradicator »

Mandalore1988

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »

Unfortunately the Tonnika Sisters are very unlikely. One actress passed away before giving permission to use her image. I'm not sure about the other actress.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »

We hold on to hope for the Tonnikas because we have been faced with similar circumstances in the past - with both Yarna D'Al Gargan and "Ice Cream Maker Guy" Hasbro said never. Well they wound up making both - so of course we're going to keep clamouring for the Tonnikas, regardless of what they tell us.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2017, 12:09:36 AM »

Why does Tarkin never get any love?
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »

He just needs someone to start a movement, Cash Fan, maybe you're the hero he needs.  :D :D :D

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »

Unfortunately the Tonnika Sisters are very unlikely. One actress passed away before giving permission to use her image. I'm not sure about the other actress.

Is that *really* the reason though? I heard the same excuse given to substantiate why Kenner never made a figure of Grand Moff Tarkin in the original line. Peter Cushing passed away in the 1990s yet Hasbro still made a Tarkin figure for the POTF2 line. I doubt that Hasbro ever received permission from Cushing or his estate before his passing.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »

Is that *really* the reason though? I heard the same excuse given to substantiate why Kenner never made a figure of Grand Moff Tarkin in the original line. Peter Cushing passed away in the 1990s yet Hasbro still made a Tarkin figure for the POTF2 line. I doubt that Hasbro ever received permission from Cushing or his estate before his passing.

In fact, I recall reading a decade ago that all major actors have signed the release back then. Most other characters with their face visible on screen as well. That wasn't the case of the Tonnika Sisters who were probably seen as background characters.

The thing is, we need to put things into perspective. If there are yet unresolved legal issues with one of these actresses, would you as a major company risk loosing a legal battle by producing a small plastic action figure? Would it be worth all the legal chaos that would follow? Disney and Lucasfilm probably know better and they wouldn't agree to issue a background character just to please some thousands fans. And Hasbro would never release on Tonnika Sister without the other (it would be utterly stupid, as these characters go in pair).

Anyway, the poll is now closed and I believe Doctor Aphra won by a long shot. Just happy that Fives didn't make it, neither did Ahsoka. I'm disappointed that Yak Face was left as 5th, to be quite frank this is quite upsetting. My Jabb'as Palace look a little fool with the horrible POTF2 figure compared to the recent releases of Weequay, Klaatu, Nikto, Kithaba, Leia Boushh, Hermi Oddle, Ephant Mon, etc. etc. Anyway...  :(

"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »

There was a old story about Kenner already making the mold/cast for General Madine way back when.  Kenner had already gave him a beard and they found out that the actor didn't actually have a beard so they called up Lucas and asked him to make sure that Madine has a beard.  I believe that years later at a con or some sort of show, the actor confirmed that. 

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2017, 09:04:09 PM »

There was a old story about Kenner already making the mold/cast for General Madine way back when.  Kenner had already gave him a beard and they found out that the actor didn't actually have a beard so they called up Lucas and asked him to make sure that Madine has a beard.  I believe that years later at a con or some sort of show, the actor confirmed that.

Thanks for this! :)` Never heard it before. 

Found this courtesy 10 Interesting Things I Learned from The Making of Return of the Jedi on StarWars.com
(http://www.starwars.com/news/10-interesting-things-i-learned-from-the-making-of-return-of-the-jedi)

10. “By Madine’s Beard!” The Rebel general’s facial hair was dictated by a Kenner action figure.

Dermot Crowley did not have a beard when he walked onto the set of Return of the Jedi to film his scenes as General Crix Madine in the Rebel briefing room. “The very first morning I was presented with this beard,” Crowley recalled later. “People were quite insistent, so we went with the beard.” Why had the crew been so insistent? As Rinzler writes, “Kenner had already begun preproduction on his character…and the toy had a beard, so Crowley had to match.” (Page 147)

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2017, 09:25:08 PM »

Thanks for this! :)` Never heard it before. 

Found this courtesy 10 Interesting Things I Learned from The Making of Return of the Jedi on StarWars.com
(http://www.starwars.com/news/10-interesting-things-i-learned-from-the-making-of-return-of-the-jedi)

10. “By Madine’s Beard!” The Rebel general’s facial hair was dictated by a Kenner action figure.

Dermot Crowley did not have a beard when he walked onto the set of Return of the Jedi to film his scenes as General Crix Madine in the Rebel briefing room. “The very first morning I was presented with this beard,” Crowley recalled later. “People were quite insistent, so we went with the beard.” Why had the crew been so insistent? As Rinzler writes, “Kenner had already begun preproduction on his character…and the toy had a beard, so Crowley had to match.” (Page 147)

Thanks for looking that up!  I've actually never tried to confirm it before (what I posted was just hearsay).  The discussion about the Tonnika Sisters made me think of it for some reason.

DarthMark

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2017, 09:32:18 PM »

This beard story is excellent!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169108
  • Total Topics: 14344
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 55
Total: 57

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 38 queries.