Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 10:40:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

70 Guests, 4 Users

Poll

How many stars would you give this film?

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 10 (62.5%)
- 6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reviews  (Read 2249 times)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reviews
« on: December 14, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »

Please use this thread to give reviews of the movie. If you are going to include spoilers, please warn people with bolded, underlined text stating that there will be spoilers so that they can be sure not to continue. Also, it's not a bad idea to include a few spaces before actually adding the spoiler.  For example, you might type
******Warning - Spoilers Below********

And then put your spoilers down here.

Enjoy the movie, and tell us what you think :fight:

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 10:25:35 PM »

SPOILER FREE

Just got back from the Thursday 7:20pm screening in Ultra AVX.

Initial reaction: Best. Star Wars. Movie. Ever.

Way, way happier with this one than I was with Episode 7.

Most of the cameos and references are very well placed, they didn't seem ham-fisted at all, unlike how I felt about many of them in TFA.

Highs: K-2SO, space battles, ground battles, cameos

Lows: it's a pretty heavy film, I'm not sure how my kids will react if I take them

Basically, this is the Star Wars film I have wanted to see since I first became a full-on fan in the early 90s. It feels so steeped in the OT, and really reminds me of the older video games. Rebels vs. Empire all the way.

I loved it. Will definitely see again, probably 2 more times in theatre at least.

Expectations met and exceeded.

Thirdfloor

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 10:38:29 PM »

Not sure how to review without spoilers so I guess I'll post this first,

******Warning - Spoilers Below********

Hadn't really set a plan to go tonight to see it but I passed the theater on the way home from work and noticed that they had it up on the marquee.  I'm glad I ended up going, it turned out to be a really good movie.  The pacing was done well and the tie-ins to OT were great.  Didn't expect to see the pair of Cantina patrons in this film that they bump into.  After the film when I was thinking about their appearance it got me wondering, I guess we are to assume they jumped on their ship and left right after that encounter, otherwise they would have met their doom and not made it to see ANH?  The appearance of recognizable pilots for the rebels was a nice touch too.

Obviously Tarkin and Leia's CGI characters might take a little heat but I thought they did a pretty good job of incorporating them in.  I didn't know going in that Tarkin was going to be CGI and have a fair amount of screen time and dialogue but by his second appearance I had already accepted it and from that point forward I barely noticed.

Overall I was satisfied with the tone, the pacing, action sequences, plot and score.  Character development for secondary characters didn't run too deep but for a 2hr star wars movie they did what they could and I think it worked.

:snowtroopers:
"The Force Can Have A Strong Influence On The Weak Minded"

DarthMark

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »

Wow!

Just the right amount of cameos.
Great action scenes.

What a finale!

darthric

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 12:42:32 AM »

There is a God on this earth..... :love0030:

Links, cameos & references are perfects !

I will see it again for sure......

Congratulations Gareth !

:snowtroopers:
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try !

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 08:07:00 AM »

Very very pleased after one viewing, which is always the case. Now to see how it holds up once the shock & awe have worn off.

Once again I was very happy with the characters - I had no hesitation in rooting for any of them. I found K2's humor a little off, but to each our own. They had to have some attempts in there somewhere.

MILD SPOILERS

The appearances from OT characters were really well done. I echo the sentiment about "accepting" Tarkin - that's how it felt. First look I was a little hmmmm, after that it was fine.

MAJOR SPOILERS

Vader in action at the end was the right amount of terrifying. Unstoppable. I loved that sequence.

Did anyone else think "Snoke???" when the Imperial Dignitary knealt down in front of who I thought was going to be the Emperor?

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »

Did anyone else think "Snoke???" when the Imperial Dignitary knealt down in front of who I thought was going to be the Emperor?

I just thought ROTJ Imperial Dignitaries, but Snoke would make sense as it would help tie the films in more closely (which I wouldn't be surprised to find out is something Disney wants). 

If it is Snoke (or even if we find out Snoke just worked at Vader's Lava Castle and Spa), that would mean this film included a PT character, OT characters, and an ST character (or at least a nice tie-in to one). 

*Yes, I know R2 and C3P0 are in all of them, but I view them as primarily OT.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 11:42:29 PM »

Are we desensitized enough to pick nits yet? I've got 2 things that I think could have gone better:

1. Bodhi Rook losing his mind to Bor Gullet. They didn't leave this long enough, which detracts from the menace of the critter. He snaps out of the stupor almost immediately upon being spoken to by Cassian. I think they should have left him mindless, mumbling "I'm the pilot....." until he got him into the ship, at which point he could have saved the day by exclaiming "I'M THE PILOT!!!" as though he had regained his senses from being back in his familiar settings. He then pushes Cassian's out of the way to calculate the jump for K2, saving the crew.

2. Chirrut meets Jyn. The convo makes little to no sense, almost reminiscent of Anakin telling Padme about the Angels.  :~/~:  This could have gone a lot more smoothly in the same or less time:

Hello, may I see the necklace?
What necklace?
The crystal necklace you're wearing, may I see it?
How do you know I'm wearing a necklace?
It's made of Kyber Crystal. It is one with the Force. Only the strongest stars have hearts of Kyber.

Enter Cassian breaking up the party & on we go.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 08:01:25 AM »

Are we desensitized enough to pick nits yet? I've got 2 things that I think could have gone better:

1. Bodhi Rook losing his mind to Bor Gullet. They didn't leave this long enough, which detracts from the menace of the critter. He snaps out of the stupor almost immediately upon being spoken to by Cassian. I think they should have left him mindless, mumbling "I'm the pilot....." until he got him into the ship, at which point he could have saved the day by exclaiming "I'M THE PILOT!!!" as though he had regained his senses from being back in his familiar settings. He then pushes Cassian's out of the way to calculate the jump for K2, saving the crew.

2. Chirrut meets Jyn. The convo makes little to no sense, almost reminiscent of Anakin telling Padme about the Angels.  :~/~:  This could have gone a lot more smoothly in the same or less time:

Hello, may I see the necklace?
What necklace?
The crystal necklace you're wearing, may I see it?
How do you know I'm wearing a necklace?
It's made of Kyber Crystal. It is one with the Force. Only the strongest stars have hearts of Kyber.

Enter Cassian breaking up the party & on we go.

JJREASON good ideas and I can see your points in both cases but there are reason certainly for the first one not to do the scene with your good ideas - i.e. "I am the pilot scene" - the way you wrote it I would have thought it played well but would have put a good laugh - when he snapped out of it in a spot where you did not want a laugh i.e. Stardust is losing the guy who raised her and we have not scene the building yet and him die for sure yet.  I like your idea but I think it would have caused a problem with the whole scene.

On the second scene I do think the wording in that scene was a bit awkward but I think they may have been going for that - your flows well maybe to well and it also introduce a problem that she is in a market place where she is trying to stay under the radar and it is a market full of thieves but some how she is willing to discuss with a stranger a piece of jewellery with value and something that may draw attention to her - i.e. Hello may I see the necklace - why even talk to the guy - just keep moving on through the crowd.

The one scene I would have liked to see a little differently is the kill count that Baze got after Chirrup dies.  I thought during first viewing that he was going to take down a lot more troopers in the moments following or maybe even an AT-ACT.   But of course the problem with the scene written that way is Baze would have gone too far away from Chirrup and we would miss the part of the scene where he is looking at his friend before he dies - which is important.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:07:19 AM by Canadian Jedi »
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 08:16:51 AM »

The one thing I really miss after seeing the last 2 movies is George Lucas at the helm .  Each of George's movies were different and they always took you to a new place and gave us a new world of things to think of in the Star Wars universe .  In both of the Disney movies they did not do that for me.   They took me to places I felt I have already been.  I think we have lost the creative mind that brought us that Star Wars Universe and now we will never really see anything different than what we have seen in the past.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 08:57:25 PM »

I still like the movie overall, for sure, but for me, a few points that I would have liked to have seen done a bit different:

Bail Organa - He is underused. The first time we see him, he just walks into the background and does nothing. Why even bother? Then, the forced exchange with Mon Mothma about getting Obi-Wan and sending Leia to do it was a bit underdeveloped. It would have been nice to see a bit more explanation that works in the context of the scene. I know this was discussed elsewhere, but I would have liked to have seen these things improved, and I think Bail Organa is a great character and could have been done better.

They also could have made a point of showing that Leia was going with the Admiral (the Mon Cal guy - I forget what his name was...), and perhaps indicate that they were officially heading on a diplomatic mission to Mon Calamari as cover for the trip to get Obi-Wan. Then, when Mon Mothma gets word that there is a group of Rebels on Scarif, and the Admiral is diverting there, we have a good reason for Leia being there.

I've only seen it twice so far, but I find it a worthy entry into the Star Wars universe.  :fight:

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 01:13:44 AM »

The one thing I really miss after seeing the last 2 movies is George Lucas at the helm .  Each of George's movies were different and they always took you to a new place and gave us a new world of things to think of in the Star Wars universe .  In both of the Disney movies they did not do that for me.   They took me to places I felt I have already been.  I think we have lost the creative mind that brought us that Star Wars Universe and now we will never really see anything different than what we have seen in the past.

I definitely felt that way after The Force Awakens.

But after Rogue One, I was like "George who??" lol, well not exactly - I would say this film actually made me appreciate Lucas more. The CGI technology that was shown off made me think of how ground-breaking Lucas, Spielberg, etc were for film-making back in the 70s.

To me, Rogue One blends in much better with Lucas' films than Episode 7.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 06:38:39 AM »

In case anyone was impressed by the CGI Star Destroyers in R1 and wondered how the fx team got them to look so model-like:

Much of Rogue One needed to dovetail with the very start of New Hope, but not all the technology and ships were drawn from the feature film universe. It was John Knoll’s idea to see inside the ships as they ripped apart after a Hammerhead Corvette pushes one Star Destroyer onto another. Normally such detail is lost in a vast explosion, but Knoll suggested not losing the action in a fireball. He wanted to let the audience see the internal structure of the ship, as it is being destroyed.

To give the digital ships a model feel, John Knoll came up with an ingenious plan. As all the original ships and death star were made from bits of various commercial model kits, the new team bought large quantities of new model kits and scanned the pieces. When building any new ship the modelling team started with scanned pieces of actual kits, so while there are no actual models used in the film, the new digital ships are in some round-about way linked to the older model ships.

For more on the FX of Rogue1, go here:
https://www.fxguide.com/featured/part-1-rogue-one-shows-its-force/

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 06:45:31 AM »

Chirrut Imwe's link to the Force is somewhat ambiguous - I appreciate he's a "Guardian of the Whills", but until I have the visual guide or some other source of information about this group & their training/powers compared to Jedi - I think I would have preferred him to have been "on the path" or something. "I was a Padawan learner. My master did not survive the purge and I was forced into hiding." or something would have worked better for me as it stands. Hopefully the visual guide has more on the Guardians.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »

I definitely felt that way after The Force Awakens.

But after Rogue One, I was like "George who??" lol, well not exactly - I would say this film actually made me appreciate Lucas more. The CGI technology that was shown off made me think of how ground-breaking Lucas, Spielberg, etc were for film-making back in the 70s.

To me, Rogue One blends in much better with Lucas' films than Episode 7.

I agree with you.  My son who is 14 said after R1 that he really liked it but did not care for last year's movie.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169095
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 75
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 70
Total: 74

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 41 queries.