Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 12:57:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 1 User

Poll

How many stars would you give this film?

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 10 (62.5%)
- 6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reviews  (Read 2251 times)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reviews
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 08:54:57 AM »

In case anyone was impressed by the CGI Star Destroyers in R1 and wondered how the fx team got them to look so model-like:

Much of Rogue One needed to dovetail with the very start of New Hope, but not all the technology and ships were drawn from the feature film universe. It was John Knoll’s idea to see inside the ships as they ripped apart after a Hammerhead Corvette pushes one Star Destroyer onto another. Normally such detail is lost in a vast explosion, but Knoll suggested not losing the action in a fireball. He wanted to let the audience see the internal structure of the ship, as it is being destroyed.

To give the digital ships a model feel, John Knoll came up with an ingenious plan. As all the original ships and death star were made from bits of various commercial model kits, the new team bought large quantities of new model kits and scanned the pieces. When building any new ship the modelling team started with scanned pieces of actual kits, so while there are no actual models used in the film, the new digital ships are in some round-about way linked to the older model ships.

For more on the FX of Rogue1, go here:
https://www.fxguide.com/featured/part-1-rogue-one-shows-its-force/

When I was watching the movie for a second time I really noticed that scene when the One Star destroyer smashed into another and it does look like models when the pieces come off the one getting smashed.   Thank you for posting this.
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 08:57:20 AM »

Chirrut Imwe's link to the Force is somewhat ambiguous - I appreciate he's a "Guardian of the Whills", but until I have the visual guide or some other source of information about this group & their training/powers compared to Jedi - I think I would have preferred him to have been "on the path" or something. "I was a Padawan learner. My master did not survive the purge and I was forced into hiding." or something would have worked better for me as it stands. Hopefully the visual guide has more on the Guardians.

I agree with you jjreason.  I wish they had explained it better.  I really like the character so it would have been great if they had asked him a question in the space ship when they were travelling and he gave more background information .
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »

So far I'm loving them all (all 2 that is)!

And though I see the point about George not being there to (perhaps) do something new and original my feeling is that sometimes I think we can mistake "unique and it works!" for just plain "unique". The prequels for me are, in many ways, unique but they don't work for me...pretty much at all (maybe like 5%).

So I think the kid in me that fell in love with SW didn't fall in love with it simply because it was "unique". Yes it did feel very different from a lot of other sci fi offerings, especially at the time (and even today really) but it also completely and utterly worked for me. It hooked me. I was in that universe. And once in, I didn't need anything to shake it up! In fact, wanting more of the same of that was what I wanted. I knew that even as a kid when the Marvel comics wouldn't quite get it right or even later when EU would feel "off". What I'm liking about the Disney approach (at least for now) is their vision of "linking" and building off of and giving us more of what we loved. It's not only smart in the short term business wise, it also to me speaks that they get what made SW good in the first place and they aren't seeking to mess with it. Of course they want to give us some newness, they aren't adhering to using "models only" or old film stock. But I think they are anchoring whatever they do that includes some new angle to the old "that worked". We got the lightning in a bottle moment of the OT and they want to emulate that but not seek to surpass or recreate the "unique" factor. I think this is smart and works for me! So far...I'll let the future generations after I'm gone get their SW 2.0. I'm quite content with SW 1.49958867 (you know, an upgrade maybe but nothing really new).

(plus I feel like the ST is already starting to introduce us to new stuff that is linked to the OT but that seems ready to move out (to the outer reaches!) and into slightly modified territory (like the Knighs of Ren??? not Sith really? hmmm...interesting!)

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »

So far I'm loving them all (all 2 that is)!

And though I see the point about George not being there to (perhaps) do something new and original my feeling is that sometimes I think we can mistake "unique and it works!" for just plain "unique". The prequels for me are, in many ways, unique but they don't work for me...pretty much at all (maybe like 5%).

So I think the kid in me that fell in love with SW didn't fall in love with it simply because it was "unique". Yes it did feel very different from a lot of other sci fi offerings, especially at the time (and even today really) but it also completely and utterly worked for me. It hooked me. I was in that universe. And once in, I didn't need anything to shake it up! In fact, wanting more of the same of that was what I wanted. I knew that even as a kid when the Marvel comics wouldn't quite get it right or even later when EU would feel "off". What I'm liking about the Disney approach (at least for now) is their vision of "linking" and building off of and giving us more of what we loved. It's not only smart in the short term business wise, it also to me speaks that they get what made SW good in the first place and they aren't seeking to mess with it. Of course they want to give us some newness, they aren't adhering to using "models only" or old film stock. But I think they are anchoring whatever they do that includes some new angle to the old "that worked". We got the lightning in a bottle moment of the OT and they want to emulate that but not seek to surpass or recreate the "unique" factor. I think this is smart and works for me! So far...I'll let the future generations after I'm gone get their SW 2.0. I'm quite content with SW 1.49958867 (you know, an upgrade maybe but nothing really new).

(plus I feel like the ST is already starting to introduce us to new stuff that is linked to the OT but that seems ready to move out (to the outer reaches!) and into slightly modified territory (like the Knighs of Ren??? not Sith really? hmmm...interesting!)

Love your post Sinkie. I feel much the same way.   :u:
:star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008:

darthpaul

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 01:04:28 PM »

I still like the movie overall, for sure, but for me, a few points that I would have liked to have seen done a bit different:

Bail Organa - He is underused. The first time we see him, he just walks into the background and does nothing. Why even bother? Then, the forced exchange with Mon Mothma about getting Obi-Wan and sending Leia to do it was a bit underdeveloped. It would have been nice to see a bit more explanation that works in the context of the scene. I know this was discussed elsewhere, but I would have liked to have seen these things improved, and I think Bail Organa is a great character and could have been done better.

They also could have made a point of showing that Leia was going with the Admiral (the Mon Cal guy - I forget what his name was...), and perhaps indicate that they were officially heading on a diplomatic mission to Mon Calamari as cover for the trip to get Obi-Wan. Then, when Mon Mothma gets word that there is a group of Rebels on Scarif, and the Admiral is diverting there, we have a good reason for Leia being there.

I've only seen it twice so far, but I find it a worthy entry into the Star Wars universe.  :fight:
I would have liked to have seen more of Bail as well.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 08:02:18 AM »

Just saw Rogue One for the 3rd,a nd likely final, time in theatres yesterday.

Embarrassingly, this is the first time that I realized Cassian Andor killed his informant near the beginning on that mining asteroid or whatever it was. The first two times, I just assumed somehow a Stormtrooper shot him  :speechless-smiley-004:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 05:35:09 PM »

Yes, that was the "oh geez, this guy is willing to do whatever is necessary for the cause" moment, setting up the stress you feel about him pulling the trigger on Galen. More of surprise that he doesn't based on what you've seen.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 08:19:58 PM »

i wasnt sure of that either the first time i saw it. did he just knock that guy off who isnt necassarily bad ?? i figured it was done cause the dude talked to much/was too manic. i got the feeling it was better off to keep him calm/dead. ha :S

i think it was a given Cassian wasnt going to kill Jyns father though. just for the obvious reasons, i do like how they made the Rebels not be the ''good guys'' entirely. its more like real life this way. mistakes happen and lines are blurred. it was more realistic and that was cool to see.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:29:17 PM by bob »

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 01:25:37 AM »

OK major spoilers for anyone that has been living in a cave the last 4-5 months

Here is my review and I'll just give it in bullet point form:

-I give Rouge One a 8.8 (Ep. VII I give a 8.9 only because of OT characters)

-I didn't have any problem with Tarkin.  My kids didn't even know that he was CGI

-Jyn was a good character, K2S0 was the best new character, and the others were just meh (the two tubes twins were the best new alien characters!)

-For some reason it really bugged me that they did not say "Mustafar", it's like they went out of their way not to say the planets name.

-Darth Vader shows up at about the 1:13 mark and steals the movie. 

-Darth Vader again steals the show at the end.  I felt that sequence where he boards the ship and starts mowing down rebels was fantastic - I can watch it over and over, and have in fact.

-I'm glad that everyone died. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 06:02:10 AM »

Welcome back, Cash_Fan!

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 10:45:35 AM »

Welcome back, Cash_Fan!

Thank you!  I think it's been about 6 years or so since my last visit.  Planing on visiting more often than that from now on.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »

-For some reason it really bugged me that they did not say "Mustafar", it's like they went out of their way not to say the planets name.

somewhere i heard they stopped naming planets after awhile cause they figured people would know were they are as the film goes on. i agree with you though and that sounds like a b.s answer. it did feel like they were trying keep the Prequels out by not saying ''Mustafar'''on screen. Seeing vader live in a castle seems kinda tacky to me. dont get me wrong,i loved Rogue One! but the whole castle thing doesnt work for me too well for some reason. i just see him as someone living in space on big star destroyers all the time. crusiin' around :)

welcome back btw, im new as of a year ago but apparently your back! cheers!

haha!

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »

somewhere i heard they stopped naming planets after awhile cause they figured people would know were they are as the film goes on. i agree with you though and that sounds like a b.s answer. it did feel like they were trying keep the Prequels out by not saying ''Mustafar'''on screen. Seeing vader live in a castle seems kinda tacky to me. dont get me wrong,i loved Rogue One! but the whole castle thing doesnt work for me too well for some reason. i just see him as someone living in space on big star destroyers all the time. crusiin' around :)

welcome back btw, im new as of a year ago but apparently your back! cheers!

haha!

I did see the director say in a interview that he purposely did not name that planet by name because he didn't want to ruin the surprise of Darth Vader.  I can kinda buy that but then don't put Vader in the teaser or trailer. 

I do feel that there was just the perfect amount of Vader in the film.  He stole the show as it was and he had just the right amount of screen time to make it seem very special. 

I don't really have a problem with Vader living in a castle.  That concept goes way back to Ralph McQuarrie drawings, so I'm all good with it.  And if he's going to live anywhere then it should be Mustafar - where he suffered the most pain.

I mentioned that I was glad that everyone died because it puts a nice bow on the story.  Now we don't have to worry about or speculate about "oh, Jyn Erso is Rey's mom..." etc.   

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »

i didnt hear about them not wanting to spoil Vader coming on screen for that moment with the castle. that does make sense though, trailer or not it adds a bit of weight to the whole scene. that makes more sense..cool!

i didnt realize the castle was Ralph Mcquarrie concepts. i should of known really! they are using him even more since he passed on.

actually, i have been coming here about 2 years but i didnt register till last year which was a mistake. it helps to find stuff being the other sites are in the US so that doesnt really matter for us canucks when it comes to hunting. its def helped me not search when its dry and pass the word when i find stuff as well. 

cool man!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:27:48 PM by bob »

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 08:22:13 PM »

actually, i have been coming here about 2 years but i didnt register till last year which was a mistake. it helps to find stuff being the other sites are in the US so that doesnt really matter for us canucks when it comes to hunting. its def helped me not search when its dry and pass the word when i find stuff as well. 

cool man!

Well it's good to meet you bob!  I'm actually not Canadian but my wife of 13 years argues me on the point.  I married a Canadian so I got stuck up here.  I found this site when I first moved up here and couldn't work because I was waiting on my PR Card.  It was very busy back in the days between AOTC & ROTS and I made a lot of friends here.  After being so busy over the last ten years I've finally found that I have more free time now, time that I've been able to get back into collecting and enjoying the hobby.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169101
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 68
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 57
Total: 58

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 41 queries.