Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 04:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

32 Guests, 4 Users

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Rogue One - What did you think? (Possible spoilers)  (Read 3838 times)

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One - What did you think? (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »

I really liked it, I think it is the best SW movie since the OT.  Enjoyed it way more than TFA.  Only gripe was the Tarkin CG but had to be done,  parts of it looked amazing & then other times was like show less & put him in a darker room or something.  But they where still amazing CG just the human face is to hard to mimic.  Getting pretty close that is for sure.

Tarkin looked pretty amazing. its hard to believe they can do that! the leia scene was awesome until they showed her face. its still cool but i didnt think that worked too well. was that CGI too ? it looks like a real actress to me but it felt weird anyway.

i thought this movie felt a lot more like a proper SW movie then TFA did. over time i realized i dont like TFA as much as i first thought. i know we all just saw Rogue One but this feels diff and i think it will stand the test of time. The big fighting space scene really felt like ROTJ to me but in a good way.

its true the middle dragged for a wee bit. for me it was almost like ''oh this is getting a bit weird'' and then it was ok again so it only came to my attention for the smallest amount of time and then it was back on track. the the battle for the plans was a lot shorter then i expected. i thought that entire ordeal was going to be more hardcore and go on for a further amount of time. not that im complaining but it did seem to happen pretty quickly.

regardless, it looks amazing and has some good emotion to it. i will be going again for sure!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:25:20 PM by bob »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »

Just saw it today with the family.

Vader at the end was pure awesome.
Loved K2SO, his sense of humour and use of a blaster was fun fun fun!

Some stuff was just fun and intriguing like:

That creepy guy that tells Vader Krennic has arrived on Mustafar, was he an Imperial Doctor?
The planet Jedda of course. And if it will figure in any upcoming spin-offs or even the sequels.
The Kyber crystal focus.

And since part way through the film I leaned over to my daughter and said "maybe Jyn is Rey's mom?" We both ended up thinking that perhaps she survives. How? Because of the crystal and whatever her dying father was hinting at when he said "there is so much I want to tell you". Plus there was one scene, forget exactly what happened, but she was toying with the crystal and then something "good" happened to them. I'll have to see it again to confirm but I thought it was perhaps just the slightest hint that she might be Force sensitive and perhaps the emotions at the end caused her to awaken unconsciously and with the crystal around her neck create a force field or something. So she and Cassian could be Rey's parents! A bit of a stretch probably and not something I am completely hoping happens but I can't shake the possibility that it could be.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 09:58:38 PM »

And since part way through the film I leaned over to my daughter and said "maybe Jyn is Rey's mom?" We both ended up thinking that perhaps she survives. How? Because of the crystal and whatever her dying father was hinting at when he said "there is so much I want to tell you". Plus there was one scene, forget exactly what happened, but she was toying with the crystal and then something "good" happened to them. I'll have to see it again to confirm but I thought it was perhaps just the slightest hint that she might be Force sensitive and perhaps the emotions at the end caused her to awaken unconsciously and with the crystal around her neck create a force field or something. So she and Cassian could be Rey's parents! A bit of a stretch probably and not something I am completely hoping happens but I can't shake the possibility that it could be.

Great idea.   You are right that - they did make a point of bringing all this up - to what point for Rogue One ? -And wouldn't Rey have a strong mother character.   You could be on to something.     :rockon: 8) :rockon:
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 10:58:15 PM »

Nah, that would be far too stretching the theory just for the sake of believing it could still be possible.

No. Jyn is dead. Like thousands of Rebels during this fight to secure the Death Star plans that would ultimately save the Rebellion days later when the Death Star will arrive at Yavin IV. This makes her a real hero. A hero in the shadows, like many who died that day. Like Cassian Andor. Like Pao. Like Chirrut and Baze. Like those Rebel Fleet Troopers who sacrificed themselves, one after the other, to make sure the plans gets to safety in the Blockade Runner. This movie depicts their sacrifice. And Jyn sadly died as a hero along with them

The fact that Jyn senses the Force or even feels it through her Kyber crystal necklace doesn't mean she is able to handle the Force. Nor to survive a blast of this magnitude. Chirrut Imwe is not a Jedi, but he senses the Force, he can channel his mind through it. With proper training, he could have been a Jedi. Or maybe not. The thing is, anyone can feel the Force. "It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." JJ Abrams told us this was how he viewed the Force, like the mystical energy that Yoda referred to in ESB. The concept of midichlorians is not evacuated, it's Lucas' legacy after all, but for Disney it seems they want to deal with the Force like something that is not just explained by midichlorians. Like something mystical. So Jyn can sense the Force, but it doesn't mean she can do anything with it, yet survive death. She has not the proper training to do such things. Only Qui-Gon Jinn will have reached this level of keeping his self in the Force past his death. Then taught it to Yoda who later taught it to Ob i-Wan through his meditations on Tatooine (refer to the end of E3 for this).

Anyway, the theory that Jyn is Rey's mother would have been wonderful. But sadly, now it makes no sense. We need to move on. We will probably learn more on this later on. Or maybe not. Because maybe we already know the answer...

As Maz Kanata told Rey: "Dear child, I see your eyes - you already know the truth. Whomever you are waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back. But, there's someone who still could." And then, after Rey says "Luke", she continues: "The belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead."

What Maz is telling Rey is simple: you will never see your parents again, there are gone and they are things of the past. You need to focus on the future, because what you seek is not behind you (the past), it is ahead (the future).

Basically, what JJ Abrams is saying to the audience through Maz is also this: "Guys, Rey's past is not what matters. Her parents are not important. It's her future and her destiny that is. And her future is to meet Luke. And to become a Jedi. And to become something greater."

So my theory will not please most, but here it is: we will never know who Rey's parents were. Because it doesn't matter. She's an orphan. She doesn't remember her parents. The only thing she remembers is being left behind on this junk planet. Why is not what matters. How is not what matters. What matters is that she is strong in the Force. And that she will play a huge role in events that have yet to be unfolded.

Think about it. Anakin doesn't know who his father is. Obvious reason: he doesn't have one. He was born out of the Force. Okay, so we accept that? But we can't accept never to know who Rey's parents are? Why? Can't Rey just be a new Anakin for this new chapter of the SW saga? A new child strong in the Force? A new Chosen One who will again bring balance to the Force?

Because, what if the Jedi were wrong? What if Anakin was not truly the Chosen One? What if Rey was really it, the true Chosen One, the one the Jedi have been talking about in their prophecy for so long?

Anyway, that's my two cents. For me, Jyn is dead. She is not Rey's mother. And it's perfect as it is. Her destiny was to help her father save the Galaxy from the Empire by committing the ultimate sacrifice.
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 11:18:15 PM »

I'm inclined to agree. The theory that Jyn is/was Rey's mom first surfaced with the photo of Felicity Jones in character - and I believe it was formally show down by Kathleen Kennedy - but I would have to research that. Would have been nice certainly, but Rogue One is the story of "what" happened & "how" it happened - sadly the people involved were expendable, putting the "who" happened down the priority list.  :(

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 11:40:30 PM »

Like I said, I'm not totally sold on my own theory. It just kind of evolved between my daughter and I discussing it post screening. It is the ONLY chance I see of there being any connection between TFA/Rey and Jyn. I honestly think it could work but it is far from necessary. I enjoyed Rogue One without that theory in place. And having it disproven won't disappoint me! But this is sci-fi and there is The Force (that can do all sorts of pseudo-magical things) so having her use the crystal around her neck to protect them, though somewhat out of the blue, would not be out of left field for this genre. But yeah, giving us the story of the people who lost their lives so the Rebels could save the day is just fine "as is".

I do hope, however, we find out who Rey's parents were. Even if nobodies. If only to once and for all put an end to rumours and speculation. I'm fine with it being characters we've never heard of, of it being Luke, of it being Jyn and Cassian Andor.

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 12:01:06 AM »

neat ideas but i def think they are all gone for sure. thats what this story was about and i figured everyone would die before i saw it. it just makes sense in this case. its also a ''stand alone'' movie. no explanation needed :)

as far as TFA goes im pretty sure it was written open ended on purpose for the next writers/directors to fill in the gaps the way they choose. some of it of course im sure is just for the next movie and some of those questions were prob already written out but saved for Ep VIII.

chances are not much will come from this one. its kinda like how they put in some Rebels into this movie. thats prob as far as that will go. a name mentioned on the intercom and showing the ghost in space.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 06:13:54 AM »

No. Jyn is dead.

:( :( :(  All Sinkie, his daughter ( who I think is strong with the force) and I wanted was hope - A New Hope - and Jedi Patrick, JJREASON and bob - just wanted to destroy all hope we had - I guest we know who's resume has Member of Galactic Empire on it.
Sinkie tell your daughter I think she is right.    :u: and to heck with Grinches That Try and steal of theory of Hope. :D :D :D  :P :P :party0053: :party0053: :party0053:

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 09:00:56 AM »

Out of curiosity, I decided to see if I could find another version of the "events" of Rogue One and found this summary of the Battle of Toprawa - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Toprawa

Now, I'm interested in listening to the radio drama that tells this story.

In short (SPOILERS), a number of Rebel teams discover portions of the Death Star plans which they then combine and transmit to Leia who happens to be in the area (for diplomatic reasons, I guess).  She then takes off with the Empire in pursuit. 

I like the way it fits with A New Hope. 

One reason is I can see Leia getting the plans with the Empire in pursuit and not knowing what to do so she calls her dad.  He sees she can reach Tatooine, so he tells her to find Kenobi (a seasoned general he worked with during the Clone Wars who has no love for the Empire) as he's her best source of help in the situation.  She ends up not being able to reach him (for obvious reasons), so she sends R2.

Mon Mothma saying, "Hey, you know a Jedi.  He can help 'cause, the Force, right?" seems a bit shoehorned. 

Why Kenobi?  How can he help?  Is he an engineer who can understand the plans?  A hot shot pilot who can shoot the carefully crafted weak spot?   (A weak spot, by the way that isn't as easy to hit as one would think a purposely crafted weak spot should be - "I will make a spot so insignificant that the Empire will never see it.  And I will put that weak spot in a trench filled with ion cannons.  And I will make that weak spot so weak only a perfectly placed shot made with the Force as a guide can make it explode.) 

How is Kenobi supposed to help exactly?  I can just picture Han Solo turning to her and saying "That's not how the Force works!" 

It just kind of seems to me, in that situation, the Rebellion could probably use someone skilled with a protractor more so than someone skilled with a light saber. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:11:05 AM by Bespin-81 »

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »

No. Jyn is dead.

:( :( :(  All Sinkie, his daughter ( who I think is strong with the force) and I wanted was hope - A New Hope - and Jedi Patrick, JJREASON and bob - just wanted to destroy all hope we had - I guest we know who's resume has Member of Galactic Empire on it.
Sinkie tell your daughter I think she is right.    :u: and to heck with Grinches That Try and steal of theory of Hope. :D :D :D  :P :P :party0053: :party0053: :party0053:

Yeah, they'll find out that you don't need solid plot or dark dramas ending in sacrifice to have a SW story...somehow or other...Rey's connection to Jyn will come just the same! And their hearts will grow 3 parsecs that day...(errrr...trying hard to keep the Grinch theme going but probably failing!)

I think it could be fun honestly, but I"m open to other avenues. I just don't think it would be a stretch to say someone with a "power crystal" around their neck who may awaken to the Force at a moment of crisis and massive emotional turmoil would be a stretch. A sort of "Wait, what's happening?" moment I could buy. A "Are you doing this?" look/line from Cassian as the blast doesn't touch them and they survive and basically let everyone think they're dead (and even something like how such destruction would have sent a ripple out in the Force anyway so Vader/Emperor/Yoda/Kenobi probably wouldn't have sensed her awakening amidst that anyway). Like I said, it's all sci fi fantasy so...why not? But of course, a tragic sacrifice works for me too! I don't NEED her to be Rey's mom.

And you're right Bespin-81! The Kenobi thing is a bit forced now that you mention it. He was a desperation move on Leia's part. For all Bail knew at that moment Leia would bring him the plans then he'd bring them to Yavin. Or something. Kenobi was something Leia would have come up with in the heat of the moment, after realizing they couldn't outrun the Empire. She would have perhaps given the order to head to Tatooine because she knew someone who might be able to do what she probably expected she wouldn't be able to because, well, they'd be destroyed! But to from the start say, you know what? We'll just expect to need to put the plans into an ex-Jedi General's hand because I just know my daughter will run into trouble is...perhaps one of the Disney execs interventions during the reshoot?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:15:45 PM by sinkie »

bob

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 03:55:32 PM »

ah come on man! we just want peace for the galaxy! :) haha

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 05:03:12 PM »

I won't rule anything out considering the Disney masterminds came up with the most lame ending for one of the most iconic character in the Star Wars universe: really that is best way you can come up for Han Solo to die.     I won't be surprised to find out Rey is Princess Aurora daughter. :P :explosion: :P

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 05:26:16 PM »

Kenobi's helpful because he has experience orchestrating big, multifaceted sieges against planets as we saw in the Clone Wars. I'm thinking it would also provide a huge morale boost to the Rebels to have a living Jedi knight join the team when most or maybe even all of them would have believed them to have gone the way of the Dodo.

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »

Kenobi's helpful because he has experience orchestrating big, multifaceted sieges against planets as we saw in the Clone Wars. I'm thinking it would also provide a huge morale boost to the Rebels to have a living Jedi knight join the team when most or maybe even all of them would have believed them to have gone the way of the Dodo.

That's a nice point.  Hadn't consider it from that point of view.  I like it.  Very workable. 

Still feels a bit like they're checking off a list of things they feel need to be mentioned to me, but next time I see the movie I'm definitely going to keep this in mind and see how it affects the viewing.  Thanks, JJ!

There's a portion of the movie where things seemed a bit jumbled to me that, hopefully, a second viewing might clarify. 

Like, what was Princess Leia's job?  Taking in the point of view that Kenobi was seen as a strategist, was she at the battle in a waiting position (rather than any kind of offensive involvement) with the ship ready to launch as soon as the plans were aboard?  Then, as soon as the Death Star plans were in hand, she was to take them to Tatooine, pick up Kenobi and then return with him to Alderaan in order to devise a plan to destroy the Death Star, perhaps? 

I think I could buy into that.   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:49:43 PM by Bespin-81 »

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »

I'm going to watch ANH again tonight & focus on what they say about Leia's "diplomatic mission", if anything. I don't recall if they said where she was - obviously that was the cover story to feed to the Imps in the event of getting caught - what she was really doing was a surreptitious pickup of the plans for delivery to Alderaan - right. I think Obi Wan only came into when the Blockade Runner got compromised.... even though he was referred to in the Rogue One dialogue. It is a bit jumbly and I'll have to think it through for myself.

Bail Organa intimates that he trusts "her" with his life, obviously meaning he's going to give Leia the tap on the shoulder for that job. A tough choice, putting your own adopted daughter at risk like that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 07:09:11 PM by jjreason »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169089
  • Total Topics: 14342
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 32
Total: 36

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 38 queries.