Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 24, 2018, 09:12:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

74 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Rogue One - What did you think? (Possible spoilers)  (Read 4339 times)

bm459

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
  • Orleans, ON
    • View Profile
Rogue One - What did you think? (Possible spoilers)
« on: December 15, 2016, 11:38:56 PM »

I thought it was pretty good. Enjoyed it a lot. I think I'll like it better on second viewing, now that I know the characters.
The last 30 minutes were amazing. Overall, I'd say it was the best structured of all the Star Wars movies. It might not be my favourite, but it ranks near the top.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One - What did you think? (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 01:08:16 AM »

I enjoyed it a lot too. The pacing was certainly different from what we've seen before. Nice job on the scoring, there was a good few times I was actually pleasantly surprised there WAS music scoring the scene, not like certain times during the prequels. I have to agree with the possibility of liking it more as the viewings pile up, the first time is always jarring if you go in spoiler free. Brain on full sponge mode.  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

DarthMark

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:18:12 AM »

Just finished watching... A New Hope, right after getting out of the theater.

The Tantive IV opening and the Tarkin scenes now have a new touch to them.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 01:29:45 AM »

The use of Tarkin & Leia the way they did was groundbreaking to me. Tarkin in ROTS showed how far things still had to go - Leia was almost scary here. Nice to see a few other small appearances done the same way - Red & Gold Leaders :)

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:05:47 AM »

I personally bought Tarkin more than Leia. I think him being in a generally darker lit room, and having a more age-worn appearance helped with that. Obviously it was not Peter Cushing, so I did right away spend a lot of time checking for the signs of CGI. But it was so close that I am happy to accept it to get him in the film - something I think it needed. I'm sure for future viewings I won't even think about it anymore. It's just awesome to have him in there, and I had no idea he'd be there. Leia I think looked a little more fake to me, and perhaps that was a combination of the bright lighting and the smoother complexion. But both were super close, and awesome to have. Just think how close they are to making the CGI indistinguishable. In a few short years, we could have full-on OT/EU filler movies with all the original actors, lol.

I loved almost all of the easter egg cameos. The ones that kind of stuck out to me were Evazan/Ponda Baba and R2/3PO. For the droids, I think it would have been better to put them into the Leia scene. It amkes more sense for them to be there. I suppose there's no reason they couldn't have been on Yavin when they were, but they just felt out of place for me. Maybe they didn't want to take away from Leia though. For Evazan/Ponda Baba, I didn't have a problem with them being there, it was Evazan using the same old line that threw me. Almost felt like Robot Chicken for a second. They could have mixed it up a bit.

Loved the Rebel pilots being cut in. And I picked up on Red 5 getting vaped right away. Gotta free up a spot for Luke.

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 11:16:34 AM »

For Evazan/Ponda Baba, I didn't have a problem with them being there, it was Evazan using the same old line that threw me. Almost felt like Robot Chicken for a second. They could have mixed it up a bit.

I felt kind of the same way.  It was neat to see them, but when Evazan starts to repeat the same line, it seemed a bit of an unneeded joke. 

And ya, having Evazan say the line over a minor bump and then have Ponda Baba steer him away from a fight ...

Loved the Rebel pilots being cut in. And I picked up on Red 5 getting vaped right away. Gotta free up a spot for Luke.
Seeing those two familiar pilots was an unexpectedly neat moment.  And it flowed nicely with the story, too. 

Regarding the pilots and the final battle, I just read the Ghost (from Rebels) is in the battle, too.  I'll have to keep an eye out for it if/when I see the movie again.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »

A few more observations:

- that Vader scene felt like it was ripped straight out of The Force Unleashed or something. Totally awesome badassery that we've always wanted from him.

- The Death Troopers' speaking: I took this as being their speech being converted by their helmets to Imperial code. It would sound normal to them inside their helmets, but to others would be garbled jibberish. Kinda makes sense to me, with them being an elite unit.

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 03:57:52 PM »

I found the movie OK, I give it a 7 or 7.5. I liked finding the easter eggs. The proble droid for just 1 second. I saw the Ghost in the space battles in the trailers but not in the movie (I forgot the look for it) but I saw it parked at Yavin in the upper left corner of the screen.

Speaking of the trailers and TV spots, lots of things are missing from those. I can understand the first trailers made a year or 6 months ago but the latest one where you see Jyn running on Scarif while that AT-ACT are firing, she was never on the beach, or the TIE that rise in front of her on the platform, or Krennic walking in the water....

I didn't like the Tantive IV scene, according to A New Hope, they intercepted the plans, and were not given to them and ran away with it, it could have been another ship leaving the Mon Cal ship so the badass vader scene would have still be in there... oh! and no wipes :(

But i'll go for a second viewing and will be buying it in Blu

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 05:07:45 PM »

Ya, I thought I saw the ghost ship in the Yavin base hanger for like half a second as well.

Did anyone see regular Stormtroopers walking in the water of plant Scarif like in the trailers?  I didn't see this scene.

And I too felt the middle of the movie to drag a little, but I was also concerned of how my 9 year old nephew was enjoying it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 05:13:21 PM by DarthDerek »
:star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008:

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »

just got back from seeing it. the most visually stunning of all the movies for me.

the story was good, but not great.

the surprises were just that, and very welcome.

the middle seemed to drag a bit.

I liked vader...wished we saw more....maybe a directors cut with the scenes Disney forced them to cut.

definitely need to see it again.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 11:11:09 PM »

I made sure I did not read any reviews before I went.  But I did run into a guy who took his wife and son to see it last night.  He said he likes it but his 6 year did not and his wife feel asleep during the movie. 

Overall my wife and I enjoyed it.  I plan to go a second time with kids.

My thoughts:
TOP 3 things: 
1) Last battle scene .  Loves the scenes within this battle where Akbar is looking down at the planet.
2) New Hope tie ins - several of them - even why the movie is called a new hope.  For OTC fans this was great.
3) It is a stand alone movie.  Lets have more like this. 

Things you may not like:
1)  Gets a bit slow in the middle.
2)  You care less about the lead female character vs. the lead female character in The Force Awakens.    Wish they had done more character development and got us to a point where we really loved her character.   In the end if they had done this, the end of the movie would be so much more powerful and the overall movie would have been ranked hirer by many people.
3)   Things that where in the trailers where not in the movie.    Did she say the line - I am rebel I rebel in the movie?   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:13:28 PM by Canadian Jedi »
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 08:56:26 AM »

Yeah, I was wondering this myself CJ, I don't remember Jyn saying the "I rebel" line either.

Vaders Castle....Awesome!
:star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008:

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »

I hate when they advertise scenes that aren't in in movie. What  happened to the big face off with the tie?

Goldenrod

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 10:23:48 AM »

Yeah, I was wondering this myself CJ, I don't remember Jyn saying the "I rebel" line either.

Vaders Castle....Awesome!

That scene's not there

PizzatheHutt

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 02:21:57 PM »

I really liked it, I think it is the best SW movie since the OT.  Enjoyed it way more than TFA.  Only gripe was the Tarkin CG but had to be done,  parts of it looked amazing & then other times was like show less & put him in a darker room or something.  But they where still amazing CG just the human face is to hard to mimic.  Getting pretty close that is for sure.
We have about a Ewok chance in a Rancor pit.
Formely Darth2002 from thee ancient boards Power of the Northside.
Who's the more foolish...The fool or the fool who follow's him.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2021
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169428
  • Total Topics: 14376
  • Online Today: 92
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 74
Total: 75

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.