Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 12:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

55 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT ships - Which versions are your favourites????  (Read 1056 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
OT ships - Which versions are your favourites????
« on: December 31, 2016, 06:12:49 AM »

So I moved last summer, and only recently have I managed to get my collection of ships home from the storage locker. I'm faced with going through & in some sad cases having to choose one version of a ship to keep. There have been some pretty good versions, but I honestly really haven't had to struggle too much, other than making the choice to let a few go to other homes. I know for a fact I've missed various versions of the ships as well - don't hesitate to holler about your favourite if it didn't make my list (I likely never owned it). Here's what I came up with - and I'd love to hear your opinions!

Millenium Falcon

Vintage
POTF2
OTC
BMF

My choice? OTC - and it's all a matter of size. The BMF is an alarming piece. The quality is incredible. There is literally NO comparison between any version of the vintage Falcon & the BMF. All that being said, to me the OTC Falcon is the "best vintage" Falcon money can buy. It's very sturdy & looks great.

Slave I

Vintage
POTF2/Shadows of the Empire
Saga/OTC (repaint of Jango's from AOTC)
Newest smaller version

My choice to keep is the POTF2/Shadows version. It's basically a vintage Slave I with the nicer paint deco - playing with it even briefly brings me all the way back to my vintage version which is no longer with me. This will suffice, I love how it looks on display.

AT-AT

Vintage
POTF2
Endor-repaint
BAT-AT

Once again, the Big ATAT is a marvel. If you have the means & the space, it is incomparable. For the vintage sized versions however, my choice to keep is the POTF2 version with the improved electronics. Hoth always wins for me, and the voice/sound clips included in this version are well done enough to add to the value of the item for me.

Y-Wing Fighter

Vintage
POTF2 (yellow markings, red R2 unit)
OTC (grey/silver with red markings, red/grey R2 unit)
30th Anniversary (yellow markings, grey/yellow R5 unit)
Vintage Collection (red markings, droid actually fits into socket)

I had 2 to choose from - POTF2 & 30th Anniversary. My POTF2 version is missing one motor strut, so I chose the other one to keep. I don't see that they've done much to change the ship from its original iteration - so I guess this comes down to your preference of colour scheme or droid counterpart.

Twin Pod Cloud Car

Vintage
Saga Legends

Well honestly I don't have a vintage Cloud Car, so this was an easy choice as well. Luckily the updated one from a few years ago is fantastic.

Rebel Armored Snowspeeder

Vintage
POTF2 (larger, missile firing rear gun, does have electronics)
Rogue II's Snowspeeder (has working airbrake flaps, white with red details)
Luke's Battle Damaged Snowspeeder (broken window deco & extra carbon scoring, white with grey details)
Saga Legends (slightly reduced size, working flaps)

I'm keeping the Saga Legends version, simply because the very minor reduction in size seems to help enormously when comparing it to the vintage sized ATAT. Much like the newer Cloud Car, this slightly slimmed down version is solid.

Imperial TIE Fighter

Vintage
Vintage with Battle Damage
POTF2 (grey, small wings)
Large Wing TIE (white)
Large Wing TIE (grey)

The only one I have left is a grey POTF2 version, so this was an easy choice. The large wing TIEs look fantastic, but very out of scale.

X-Wing Fighter

Vintage
Vintage with Battle Damage
POTF2 (remake with electronics but no light)
POTF2 "Power FX" Luke's X-Wing (Larger scale, voice clips, figure molded into cockpit)
Saga Collection Larger Scale Luke's X-Wing with Dagobah swamp sludge
OTC (vintage size, no electronics)
Saga Collection (2002) Luke's X-Wing (Large scale, carbon scoring, survival gear behind seat)
Saga Collection (2002) Red Leader's X-Wing (Large scale, cardboard R5 unit, cleaner version)
Recent Large Scale TFA X-Wing with fewer moving parts
TFA Black X-Wing
TFA Poe's X-Wing

The X-Wing has almost been done to death. The last 2 in my collection were the larger scale versions (Dagobah & Red Leader). These found a new home some time ago. I think I might start looking for a nice vintage sized replacement - maybe even a vintage one if I can find a clean one with working electronics.

Luke's Landspeeder

Vintage
POTF2 (vintage remake)
Saga Collection 2002 (new mold, longer & much improved deco)
Vintage Collection (US Target - new mold, but the deco has reverted to look like the vintage Landspeeder)

I have 2 left and I'm keeping both - the elongated versions. Both are fantastic. There is something about the (flimsy, fragile, insert your own word here) vintage version, but I think these are a significant improvement in terms of movie-accurate looks & function.

** MORE TO FOLLOW!!!**
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:58:39 AM by jjreason »

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
Re: OT ships - Which versions are your favourites????
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 05:09:49 PM »

Tough choices! It would be hard at times to pick between the best piece and the one with the most nostalgia attached. I think I would pick BMf, vintage Slave 1, BAT-AT, PoTF2 Y-wing, vintage could car, and Luke's battle-damaged snowspeeder

DarthVader77

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »

Vintage for me all of the way. The modern versions can't even come close to the original Kenner line.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »

I would tend to agree with you, where the vintage version feels the most "solid". The modern line does cheap out on plastic from time to time.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:42:54 PM »

Vintage for me all of the way. The modern versions can't even come close to the original Kenner line.
In many cases, I would say yes. Again, the nostalgia factor would push me that way, if nothing else. I must say, I don't like the vintage AT-ST compared to the more modern version, though.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 01:37:29 AM »

Give me a modern version any day, please. As long as someone from Nerf hasn't come within arm's reach of the design table. Of course I am excluding the more recent, scaled-down cheaped-out versions that have become common since the green Yoda packaging line from about 2013.

So pretty much all the vehicles that were (re)-released in The Legacy Collection and The Vintage Collection / "Shadow of the Dark Side" from about 2008-2012:

TLC A-Wing (Walmart)
TLC TIE Fighter (Target)
TLC TIE Interceptor (TRU)
TLC/TVC Millennium Falcon
TLC Wedge's X-Wing (Target)
SOTDS TIE Bomber (Walmart)
TVC/SOTDS AT-AT
TVC/SOTDS Cloud Car
TVC/SOTDS Snowspeeder
TVC Y-Wing (TRU)
TVC B-Wing (Kmart)
TVC Landspeeder (Target)
TVC Slave 1 (Amazon)
TVC AT-ST (Kmart)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 07:39:06 AM »

The new ATST is a tough one. It's SO much better/sturdier than the flimsy version, but again it's completely out of whack against the standard sized ATAT. I have the POTF2 version which needs major support even to stand - not really acceptable. I'm assuming the vintage version (which this is based on, like most of early ships) is about the same? I never had the vintage ATST.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »

The vintage AT-ST is very similar in appearance to the POtF2 version, but with some different weathering. I have the vintage one, but not the POTF2, so not sure if they are actually the same mold, or if the POTF2 one is bigger. The vintage one is smaller and different in appearance compared to the TLC and TVC versions (Walmart and Kmart exclusives). 

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »

The vintage AT-ST is very similar in appearance to the POtF2 version, but with some different weathering. I have the vintage one, but not the POTF2, so not sure if they are actually the same mold, or if the POTF2 one is bigger. The vintage one is smaller and different in appearance compared to the TLC and TVC versions (Walmart and Kmart exclusives).

Comparing photos of them from Rebelscum, I'd say they are the same mold.
Descriptions on that site and JTA seem to indicate as much as well, just different paint applications.

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 09:53:19 AM »

Comparing photos of them from Rebelscum, I'd say they are the same mold.
Descriptions on that site and JTA seem to indicate as much as well, just different paint applications.

I had all three versions of that AT-ST: Vintage, POTF2, POTJ released later on with Paploo and his speederbike. I can tell you they are all three exactly from the very same mold. The only difference is the plastic color (whiter on the vintage, gray on the POTF2 and gray-blueish on the POTJ) with some paint application on the POTJ's feet. This mold is far from being the best: it's flimsy, not accurate at all in both shape and size.

Exit the nostalgia criteria, unless you're a old timer like myself who wants to own all things vintage + the new modern stuff. If you want one single AT-ST, the best version of this vehicle is by far the TVC version...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"

JediPatrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »

Give me a modern version any day, please. As long as someone from Nerf hasn't come within arm's reach of the design table. Of course I am excluding the more recent, scaled-down cheaped-out versions that have become common since the green Yoda packaging line from about 2013.

So pretty much all the vehicles that were (re)-released in The Legacy Collection and The Vintage Collection / "Shadow of the Dark Side" from about 2008-2012:

TLC A-Wing (Walmart)
TLC TIE Fighter (Target)
TLC TIE Interceptor (TRU)
TLC/TVC Millennium Falcon
TLC Wedge's X-Wing (Target)
SOTDS TIE Bomber (Walmart)
TVC/SOTDS AT-AT
TVC/SOTDS Cloud Car
TVC/SOTDS Snowspeeder
TVC Y-Wing (TRU)
TVC B-Wing (Kmart)
TVC Landspeeder (Target)
TVC Slave 1 (Amazon)
TVC AT-ST (Kmart)

Couldn't agree more with you. Nostalgia alone cannot be used to determine which version is the best IMHO. The new modern versions of these vehicles/ships are by far the best that have been done so far. The TLC/TVC Millennium Falcon is a masterpiece all fans of the 3.75" line should own. Like the TVC/SOTDS AT-AT. These two are what we modern collectors have been dreaming for so many years, and Hasbro at that particular time was very kind to listen to what we wanted...
"C'est lorsque nous croyons savoir quelque chose qu'il faut justement réfléchir un peu plus profondément." / "The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

Frank Herbert
- "Les enfants de Dune"/"Children of Dune"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: MaxRebo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 169102
  • Total Topics: 14343
  • Online Today: 84
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 55
Total: 57

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 38 queries.