Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 03:13:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

57 Guests, 1 User
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rogue One - Novelization  (Read 929 times)

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
Rogue One - Novelization
« on: January 09, 2017, 01:41:52 PM »

Just finished this today. I would say this is likely the least amount of new/additional material I've ever experienced in a SW novelization, however what they DID include made the book a worthwhile read.

It was essentially a director's cut, if I can be so bold. You can tell, watching the movie, that there HAD to be more dialogue on spots that was left on the cutting room floor. I know there always is, but in certain R1 instances it was overly apparent they needed to trim time & the words suffered more than the explosions.

The book takes the time to include the extra lines & they really help in a good few spots - particularly in the second half of the book. The first half felt almost exactly like I was watching the movie again (not a bad thing, but there was very little - almost nothing - new).

And I will finish with a bit of a teaser - something pretty cool from the trailers that didn't make it into the film DID find its way into the book.  :D

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One - Novelization
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:14:10 AM »

Does the novel explain why Krennic basically executes a bunch of innocent men (the Death Star scientists that worked with Erso) given that they might've still been useful on other Imperial projects and he knew they weren't conspiring with the Rebels... that scene in the movie made no sense other than to just show off Krennic (idiotically) as a wanton murderer.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:26:36 AM »

I don't recall them getting much into his head for that part. It was all about manipulating Galen in my mind.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »

I don't recall them getting much into his head for that part. It was all about manipulating Galen in my mind.

That's how I took it as well. It was punishment for Galen.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »

Yes killing them was somewhat of a cold hearted, perhaps even blood thirsty move on his part but yes, it was to punish Galen because he knew he'd care if they were killed but also there were about to be a lot of messy loose ends around the entire construction of the Death Star and the engineers would be one of those loose ends. If there had been no leaked info? Maybe they would have been spared but watched closely. However, they would still have been suspect since they worked under him and were probably doomed either way. And ultimately? Probably replaceable since Galen seemed to be the key here anyway, or had made himself appear to be the key to finishing the DS. I'm fine with him doing it. Plus, the guy wants to wield a planet killing machine...it's not really out of character for him to be good with inflicting death a bit spontaneously. Gives him a slight "fantasy/comic book villain" vibe.

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:48:19 PM »

It just made Krennic seem quite stupid though... if any problems had developed with the Death Star, they would need those same guys to at least come in and investigate/fix the issues.  Or if they wanted to make a DS2 (ahem) with improvements, then they could have just moved them to the new project (and keep them secluded as they'd already been doing).

You don't kill off valuable people on the assumption that if problems should arise that just any old other imperial scientist can be called in to get up to speed and make fixes. Even if the intent was to keep Galen alive and he could still do those fixes/improvements, that's basically increasing the risk - because then Galen is the sole person who can do them and if he should have a stroke or heart attack, Krennic would have no one to easily call on.

I still say it's a dumb dumb move. I understand he's acting on emotion, feeling betrayed (yet he did kill Galen's wife so a bit of a stretch for him not to expect that Galen wouldn't betray him at some point). He could've toyed with Galen at the idea of executing those men, then actually just killed Galen, and left those other useful (and loyal) men alive.
Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 06:42:31 PM »

It just made Krennic seem quite stupid though... if any problems had developed with the Death Star, they would need those same guys to at least come in and investigate/fix the issues.  Or if they wanted to make a DS2 (ahem) with improvements, then they could have just moved them to the new project (and keep them secluded as they'd already been doing).

You don't kill off valuable people on the assumption that if problems should arise that just any old other imperial scientist can be called in to get up to speed and make fixes. Even if the intent was to keep Galen alive and he could still do those fixes/improvements, that's basically increasing the risk - because then Galen is the sole person who can do them and if he should have a stroke or heart attack, Krennic would have no one to easily call on.

I still say it's a dumb dumb move. I understand he's acting on emotion, feeling betrayed (yet he did kill Galen's wife so a bit of a stretch for him not to expect that Galen wouldn't betray him at some point). He could've toyed with Galen at the idea of executing those men, then actually just killed Galen, and left those other useful (and loyal) men alive.

If you read Catalyst, which is a prequel book to Rogue One that deals a lot with Krennic and Galen, you will see that Galen Erso is more than just your average, or even high level, scientist. He is the Einstein of the Star Wars universe, and the Death Star could not have come about without him. Much of the work that he did on it was as an unwitting participant - he thought he was unlocking the power of the Cyber crystal to power entire planets so that people in the galaxy could have cheap energy, but Krennic was taking the research and weaponizing it. I won't go into the whole thing, but basically, Krennic has a history of trying to manipulate Erso, with varying levels of success. I think, at this point, he thinks he has gotten more than a decade of good, solid work out of Krennic by killing someone close to him (his wife). He may be thinking he can buy more service from him by again killing those close to him. And if he has Erso, that is worth dozens of your typical top-notch scientists.

sinkie

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »

Krennic was acting on emotion but he's also showing that all-too-familiar "Imperial" streak of offing anyone around you who even gives you the stink eye!

I can see why in real life it would be a dumb move. But in this universe, it really is no more stupid than killing off your Admirals and Generals for some well-intentioned arrogance... ala Vader. Anyone who "fails" him gets it...and by fail I mean "doesn't catch the Rebels just like Vader himself often failed to do!"

Again, it was suggested in the film (and apparently in Catalyst) that Galen was the key. And even then sounds like he might have served his purpose. So Krennic going to kill him (and the engineers) pretty much at the suggestion of Tarkin, now that they had their planet killing weapon that they assumed would be the be-all and end-all of their struggle for total control (remember how arrogant they were about it in ANH?) doesn't seem that far-fetched to me. Also, Krennic was under some pressure to punish and eliminate those that were starting to undermine their plans. I maybe be wrong but did he not even see Vader just before this sequence and had Vader himself suggest he do a Vader-esque thing and make an example of whomever was responsible? Yeah, I guess that's why I don't have any problem with it: The SW universe has been plagued with evil doers making examples of their own people on a whim.

Plus I'm kind of thinking he wasn't going to kill Galen anyway and since he's the key, the engineers were hardly necessary...example time!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:28:21 PM by sinkie »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170168
  • Total Topics: 14400
  • Online Today: 87
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 57
Total: 58

Page created in 1.179 seconds with 39 queries.