Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2018, 05:46:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

65 Guests, 0 Users
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI  (Read 6908 times)

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »

Hopefully Ron Howard will be able to get the haters back on side with Solo.   

Rumours are Solo is a complete trainwreck and Disney is already bracing for it to bomb.
Of course, rumours are just rumours, but it's already known as "Solo: The Star Wars Story No One Ever Asked For"

For the record, like most here, I liked some parts and hated others. Overall, it's fighting for last place with Ep7 for me. More than ever, I want to know what George Lucas' ideas were for the sequels. I liked the prequels. And I loved Rogue One.

Wedge, thanks for the info. on Solo, I wish it was better news.  I guess Disney really wants to kill off Han Solo in another bad way other than his horrible death scene in The Force Awakens.

I have to agree with you that I wish Disney had let George Lucas end the characters he had created.   We would all have left the theatre feeling great about our child hood and the new beginning for the next Star Wars generation.  Hopefully George will write the stories in a book or two or three and Disney will let them be published.  At this point I would be satisfied with that and let those books be the ending of Star Wars for me.

:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2017, 11:25:44 PM »

Went with my kids and saw it for second time.   It is alot better after the second viewing.  My daughter liked it, my son hated it.  He likes Rogue One but hates the other movies and wishes Disney had not made them.  He would have rather seen Disney just start making new Star Wars movies and not have messed with the original Disney Characters. My daughter had a party with bunch of 17 years teenagers boys and girls this weekend.  None of them liked the movie.   My feeling is , I am currently watching Revenge of the Sith on TV as I write this.  It is a Star Wars movie.  The Last Jedi is a movie about Star Wars, it is not a Star Wars movie. That is the best way I can describe how I feel about The Last Jedi.   For the last movie, I hope JJ lets some time past and they start with a funeral or memorial for Princess Leia and this passage of time will let the rebel build up their forces and get new Jedi to fight their battles.   I am guessing we will find out the Kylo Ren and Rey are brother and sister in the next movie.

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2017, 12:38:45 AM »

My daughter liked it, my son hated it.  He likes Rogue One but hates the other movies and wishes Disney had not made them.  He would have rather seen Disney just start making new Star Wars movies and not have messed with the original Disney Characters.

Sounds like your son and I are of the same mind on that. I loved Rogue One, but did not like the ST films. I wish Disney had just moved past the OT characters completely for this trilogy - make it take place a few decades further yet.

My feeling is , I am currently watching Revenge of the Sith on TV as I write this.  It is a Star Wars movie.  The Last Jedi is a movie about Star Wars, it is not a Star Wars movie. That is the best way I can describe how I feel about The Last Jedi.

This is what I thought about Ep7 when it came out. The sequels are movies called "Star Wars" but they are not Star Wars movies.
I felt the same about the Star Trek reboot films too. Except those felt even less like what Star Trek should be.
Call me old and crusty.

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2017, 07:26:54 AM »

Sounds like your son and I are of the same mind on that. I loved Rogue One, but did not like the ST films. I wish Disney had just moved past the OT characters completely for this trilogy - make it take place a few decades further yet.

My son said almost the same words at the theatre.  He loves Rogue One also, he is 15 years old, so I don't know how old and crusty you can be with a young Jedi thinking the same way you do. 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:40:31 PM by Canadian Jedi »

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2017, 07:35:20 AM »

I am guessing we will find out the Kylo Ren and Rey are brother and sister in the next movie.

The more and more I think about what I saw on the second viewing, I don't think it is a guess, I think 100% we will see that Kylo Ren and Rey are brother and sister.   

napseeker

• Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Let loose the figures of clone war!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »

I think 100% we will see that Kylo Ren and Rey are brother and sister.

Let's not forget, the Porgs will overrun the Imperia--- I mean, the First Order, troops and save the day. Then... there will be a big dance party at the end.

Bring back Star Wars and Marvel SA 3.75" at reasonable prices, Hasbro...

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 27, 2017, 04:29:28 PM »

I think 100% we will see that Kylo Ren and Rey are brother and sister.

Let's not forget, the Porgs will overrun the Imperia--- I mean, the First Order, troops and save the day. Then... there will be a big dance party at the end.

I agree 100% with this.   Yub Nub song will be updated to the Porg's Yub Pug song. Can't wait to buy the 45.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2017, 04:32:06 PM »

Hopefully Ron Howard will be able to get the haters back on side with Solo.   

Rumours are Solo is a complete trainwreck and Disney is already bracing for it to bomb.
Of course, rumours are just rumours, but it's already known as "Solo: The Star Wars Story No One Ever Asked For"

For the record, like most here, I liked some parts and hated others. Overall, it's fighting for last place with Ep7 for me. More than ever, I want to know what George Lucas' ideas were for the sequels. I liked the prequels. And I loved Rogue One.

Oh, boy.  Where to start with this one...

I can't think of ONE SINGLE P̶E̶R̶S̶O̶N̶ er, FAN that wanted this movie.  I know I certainly didn't.  And you know it had to be bad if (writer) Lawrence Kasdan was mad enough to go straight to the top to get these two directors fired.  I've heard that he was mad that the directors would just let actors ad-lib and not stick to the script, which is fine, but it changed the tone from whatever it was supposed to be to a comedy. 

I'm not looking forward to it but will be there opening night and have my fingers crossed that Richie Cunningham was able to save it somewhat.  I don't want to go into spoilers (this movie should have its own thread by now) but I'm sure there will be some re-shoots in the next couple of months and there will be some, if not already, OT cameo's to make fans a little happier. 

Back to TLJ.  I think I'm gonna have to rank it just below TFA for now.  I'm not gonna post my whole ranking but my top three are: ESB, ROTJ, & ROTS (love Revenge of the Sith!).  ANH would be next, then R1 or TFA, so that would put TLJ in the bottom 3. 

I'm very comfortable with Abrams taking over now.  I think he "... will begin to make things right."  After all that was his line.  I think he will handle Leia's departure well, this will give a perfect opportunity to bring back Lando (if it's a funeral) and finish bridging the gap between the Trilogies.  After seeing TLJ a few times, I now appreciate what he did in TFA. 

And guys - Rey and Kylo are not siblings.  Her parents were nobodies, she says it herself. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2017, 05:54:50 PM »

And guys - Rey and Kylo are not siblings.  Her parents were nobodies, she says it herself.

I agree with everything else you said but this one thing. 

Cash Fan, I love you, but I respectfully must say that I guarantee 100% that they are brother and sister.    There is no chance it is anything else.   Next time you are watching The Last Jedi.  Watch it and look for evidence that they are foreshadowing that they are brother and sister.  I think if you do this you will quickly see that this movie is the set-up for the big SURPRISE in the next movie.  Just like we found out Darth Vader was Luke's Father and we could not believe it.  We will find out that Rey and Kylo Ren are brother and sister.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »

Cash Fan, I love you, but I respectfully must say that I guarantee 100% that they are brother and sister.    There is no chance it is anything else.   Next time you are watching The Last Jedi.  Watch it and look for evidence that they are foreshadowing that they are brother and sister.  I think if you do this you will quickly see that this movie is the set-up for the big SURPRISE in the next movie.  Just like we found out Darth Vader was Luke's Father and we could not believe it.  We will find out that Rey and Kylo Ren are brother and sister.

Maybe.  I just interpret the whole "cave" scene where she asks who her parents are and the force shows her nobody, as if her parents are nobody's. 

But before I got sidetracked when I mentioned Lawrence Kasdan, I wanted to add that he has always been a solid writer.  He (co) wrote Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Force Awakens.  He also has a list of other great movies that he wrote too, like Wyatt Earp.  I was gonna say that if there were any one that should handle this material other than Lucas it should be Kasdan.  I'm sure the script for Ep IX is done by now but I hope Abrams lets Kasdan look at it and offer some input. 

And going waaay back to the beginning of this thread someone said that Tarkin would never have acted the way Hux did when Poe confronted his ship.  You're right, Tarkin would have just blasted Poe into a million pieces.  Hux, however is a millennial.  They have a sense of entitlement and will always go against the old school ways. 
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2017, 12:37:25 AM »

Cash Fan...the mirror I think shows your greatest fear like what happen to Luke on Dagobah.  Rey's greatest fear is that she is alone and she has no family who loves her.   This is also why Kylo Ren tells her she is all alone and a nobody in this story.  He is using her fear to bring her to the dark side.  Yoda tells us that fear is the path to the dark side.  But fear not Rey, Rose tells us we will win by saving the ones we love.  This to me means that this trilogy will end with Rey saving her brother with her love.   The story of why the 2 of them were separated was going to be revealed by Princess Leia in the next movie.  Now with her real life death, they will have to rewrite how we discover this.  Rey is found on a desert planet of Jakku - she has been separated from her family - just like Luke was.   In the TLJ we see how upset Rey is when talking with Kylo Ren about Han Solo death - she is really upset.  That is because she is aware on some level that he is their Father.   In the TFA we are shown a Rey who is remarkably like Han in so many ways.  In the TLJ, notice how they show Luke and Leia communicating over vast amount of space using the Force and then cut right away and show Rey and Kylo Ren doing the exact same thing.  This is because they are connected in the same way that Luke and Leia are.  In the TLJ, Luke tells us he has only seen this type of power once before and it was in Kylo Ren.  He also is terrified of the 2 of them touching one another connecting together.  These 3 movies TFA, TLJ and ? are a trilogy that must connect together and make sense in the end.   I am at this point 100% convinced that this is the story of the trilogy.   
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:47:50 AM by Canadian Jedi »

ambasah

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »

everything you say makes sense Canadian Jedi...but all that build up may be for nought...just like the transition from 7 to 8.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2017, 10:06:59 PM »

I'm thinking brother & sister more & more with each viewing - and I think they'll re-use the grotto scene where her parents were blacked out to show Han & Leia. She'll confront him about it & he'll admit he lied. I think it's the necessary & expected way out & it will sooth some of the irate fans. It, however, will make me sad if they go that route.

I'm now at 4 viewings & although the movie is passable, the only "need to see" moments for me involve Luke & Rey. The rest is filler, although some of it is lovely filler.

ESB
ROJ
ANH
TFA = ROTS
TPM = TLJ
AOTC

I won't include Rogue One as I can't really figure out where it fits on the list. Good movie but way too serious.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:10:57 PM by jjreason »

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2017, 10:17:34 PM »

I will go with:

ANH
ESB
ROJ
ROTS
Rogue One
TPM
AOTC
BSG
TFA
TLJ

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2017, 11:28:12 PM »

I will go with:

ANH
ESB
ROJ
ROTS
Rogue One
TPM
AOTC
BSG
TFA
TLJ

LOL, did you put Battlestar Galactica on your Star Wars list? For shame, you know mixing sci-fi franchises is a serious offence!  :rollfloorlaffsmiley:

The kids and I watched the Holiday Special for the first (and will be ONLY) time the other day.
I have toyed with the idea of listing that higher than TFA/TLJ, but I just can't bring myself to do it.
I do equate them with each other as far as my own "head canon" goes - they never happened.

I think for me, the measure of whether a new SW film is good or not is how it makes me feel about the originals. Does it add something or make me look at the OT films in a different way or with greater appreciation? Then it's a good addition to the franchise. It should build up and compliment the originals, not actively try to tear them down and stomp all over them. While one could argue that parts of the prequels messed with the OT a bit, I think overall they made me look at the OT films a bit differently and read some scenes in a new way - ROTS in particular did that. In a similar way, Rogue One helped to raise ANH to a higher level in my mind - it was easily my least favourite of the OT films but now I'd happily put it against any film in the saga.

ROTJ
Rogue One & ANH
ESB
ROTS
TPM
AOTC
some fan films
a ham sandwich
TFA
TLJ & The Holiday Special
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:32:36 PM by Wedge1021 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
  • Total Members: 2022
  • Latest: Garhod
Stats
  • Total Posts: 170105
  • Total Topics: 14395
  • Online Today: 72
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 37 queries.