Snowtroopers.ca - Star Wars collecting news and information in Canada.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Looking into the forum errors

SPONSORS

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 06:02:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

56 Guests, 2 Users

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI  (Read 2165 times)

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
Re: STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »

Yeah, I just looked up the French title and it is Les Derniers Jedis. Glad that it is plural, so it takes a lot of this speculation away.
I'm looking forward to reading the last Aftermath - I'll skip that article so that I don't get any spoilers for the book  :scared0008:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:21:13 PM by brianakarobin »

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 01:50:18 AM »

Well, the first trailer is up.  If only I could put myself to sleep for the next 7 or 8 months.  Too long of a wait.
Cash fan, as in Johnny Cash

jediburrick

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »

LOL!!! 1rst time I'm almost unable to watch a SW trailer because I felt it was too funny. All I was thinking was : that's no Luke...it's Skips talking !!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:42:40 PM by jediburrick »

Wedge1021

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 08:55:45 PM »

Speaking of breathing... I thought it was kinda funny how Ep8 teaser starts with a gasp from Rey, similar to how the Ep7 one started with Finn. Kinda like they're trolling themselves a bit.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 10:32:47 PM »

Yeah, I just looked up the French title and it is Les Derbiers Jedis. Glad that it is plural, so it takes a lot of this speculation away.
I'm looking forward to reading the last Aftermath - I'll skip that article do that I don't get any spoilers for the book  :scared0008:

Now that we've seen the trailer and have listened to the directors comments form Celebration, we know that it is singular and refers only to Luke.

brianakarobin

• A++ Trader
  • Global Moderator
  • Sith Lord
  • Star Wars Trivia World Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 06:22:49 PM »

Yeha, strange that he says it is singular, when the foreign language titles suggest plural. Maybe he is trying to mess with people? Who knows. Really, I don't want to know until the movie comes out. 7 more months... :artoo:

DarthMark

• Snowtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »

Tickets are online NOW at Cineplex for the 15th, just scored mine. Select your theater and screen date and you should see it appear.

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 01:18:37 AM »

Checked ticket availability before the trailer was about to air & found they were already being sold online! I grabbed a pair for a special fan event starting at 6pm on the 14th. Not sure what time they'll show the movie at though.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 10:35:40 PM »

I got mine for the 7PM showing on the 14th.

Will comment on the new trailer in the next few days....

Subcoolin

• Empire
  • Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »

Awesome stuff!!  I got tickets for the Cineplex clarington with the reclining chairs...lol.

cash_fan

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • Tell that to Kanjiklub
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 12:09:14 AM »

Guess I never commented on the trailer... I liked it I guess.

Tomorrow night at this time I will be just about finished watching the movie.  Way more excited for this one than I can remember being for the last two. 

DarthDerek

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 12:29:04 AM »

For some reason I'm not excited for TLJ at all. I will be seeing it Friday evening , and of course I want to see it but, I think I'm bracing myself for a real disappointment. Lack of Original script wise. Empire plot 2.0  :P
:star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008: :star-wars-smiley-008:

jjreason

• <A+ Trader>
  • Administrator
  • Sith Lord
  • "So long, Princess."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 09:34:54 PM »

Beware, I'm going to let it all hang out here in after a good chunk of space. SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS - PLEASE DO NOT READ AHEAD UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE.

OK SERIOUSLY - LEAVE NOW

I guess I'm first, so I'm going to say up front I'm still forming my opinion. It's nowhere near bad, I guess I just don't see exactly where it fits in for me just yet. It's a completely overwhelming movie. Completely. I am just going to make a list of points that I'd like to hear thoughts on because I still can't even come close to getting my head around this thing yet.

- the crawl sets of the stage, as per usual... but much to my surprise the Resistance is on the run from a much more powerful first order. First ??? moment as I guess I had assumed they'd be running scared after losing Starkiller Base - somehow that didn't set t hem back at all

- Poe's grand standing at the start was a good action sequence, good comedy (as there was throughout, I actually enjoyed the humor here more than usual - we'll see if it grows on me or grows tiresome after another few viewings)

- in that vein Chewie getting ready to enjoy the roast porg almost made me crap my pants

- there are some real significant deaths. Snoke's demise was incredible as was the lightsaber battle with the praetorian guards, just amazing

- Luke's death (yep) didn't hit me the same way Han's did... and I've always been a Luke guy. I guess it was supposed to feel as though he was at piece, and maybe that came across in the movie making. It was beautifully done

- the projection of the Force Astral Form through me for a loop, but I DID ask myself if Luke was "really there" when he first appeared with Leia. He looked like Flashback Luke

- the reveal of Rey's parentage (if that's the truth) was a relief. So glad not everything has to be connected to the Skywalker lineage, it makes the story so much bigger

- someone confirm with me that the youngling at the end uses the force to grab the broom. I wanted to believe he did but it was subtle, or else I wasn't focusing on that part of the frame. I'm literally 100 percent sure he did, just seeking confirmation

- it was nice to see Yoda back

- Leia's zombie spacewalk was a little much me me, I think I pulled an eye from rolling it too briskly

More to come, can't wait to discuss.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:37:10 PM by jjreason »

Canadian Jedi

• Empire
  • Sith Lord
  • When all else fails - send in the wookiee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 11:55:31 PM »

I was there for the 6 pm showing.  For those not there for a fan show.  They started it off with the director talking to us, we got free popcorn and some exclusive stickers.  Then we were treated to a walk down memory lane with vintage video of John Williams and George Lucas and later the new director in the sound stage creating the music for Star Wars.   Nice beginning for the OTC fans.   

If your are buying a pop with a topper figure - get the RED figure - they are very much a part of the movie and unique to this film. 

So the movie, like JJreason I am trying to process what I saw.  But bottom line, ranking the recent 3 movies:
1) Rogue One
2) The Force Awakens
3) The Last Jedi.

This movie will not surpass the Force Awakens in total box office numbers.

Yes they made characters worst than Jar Jar, seriously tell me the Caretakers are not the worst characters ever created in the Star Wars universe.  The porgs are cute in the lets eat chicken scene - but why put them on the MF.   Luke milking the island cows was a weird scene.   

Leia flying through space was really one of crappiest scenes ever shot in Star Wars history.   And of course if they knew she was going to die they should have let her drive the space ship into the bigger space ship. 

Best scenes: 1) Luke kissing Leia on the forehead
                   2) Luke's battle scene
                   3) Poe's battle scene at the beginning
                   4) The Throne room fight scene
                   5) The kiss between Fin and the Mechanic
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:58:40 PM by Canadian Jedi »
:r2d2line:                      CANADA STRONG AND FREE       :r2d2line:

Bespin-81

• Empire
  • Snowtrooper Lieutenant
  • Ash for the win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 04:01:59 AM »

Maybe I'll like it better in the morning.

Some initial (knee jerk; thought mostly jerk) thoughts - apologies now, it's late and I should probably be in bed, but here I go anyways:

1. When Leia said the "spark had gone out", I thought, yep, that basically sums up my opinion of TLJ.

2. This isn't Star Wars.  It's Swerve Wars. 

Ren's going to fire on Leia.  No, he's not.  He only kills dads.  (How Oedipus of him.)  She's safe.  Wait, the other ships fire.  She's not safe!

Gasp!  Leia's dead!  No.  She's not.  She's not dead!  She's ... flying? 

Luke's going to train Rey (assumed). No, he's not.  Yes, he is.  (Was there a lesson 3?)

Rey's knocking on the door.  No.  Rey's knocking down the door.  Oh, it's Chewie.

Ben attacked Luke.  No, Luke attacked Ben.  No, Luke only considered attacking Ben.

Rey's in the cave.  We're going to see her parents!  No, we're going to her reflection!  Good one Disney!

Luke's going to burn down the Jedi tree.  No, he's not.  The tree is safe.  No, it's not.  Good one Yoda!

Rose and Finn have found the code breaker.  Oh no, the po-po have found Rose and Finn!  Wait, could they have found another code breaker?  No, DJ's just a common thief. No, he is a code breaker!  But he does only care about money - he takes Rose's special pendant! Wait!  No, he gives back the pendant.  He's nice!  Wait!  He's not!

Rose and Finn are going to save the day.  Thanks, Poe!  Oh no, they're captured by alarm clock heads.  Hurray, they escape.  They really are going to save the day!  Thanks, DJ!  Oh no, Phasma knows!  (Uncle Jesse's not going to like this DJ!)  Time to die ... but not for them.

Holdo(?) has no plan.  Oh, yes she does.

Holdo's escaped.  She's going to get Poe.  No, she's not.  It's Leia!  Poe's safe.  Oh no he's not.

Kylo's turned.  He and Rey are going to be bestest friends ever!  Wait, cancel the cupcakes!  He's still a nogoodnik!

Finn's going to suicide the laser to the ground.  No, Rose saved him.  Oh no!  She's dead.  Oh no she's not.

Luke is back to save the day.  Wait.  He is, but he isn't.  But, he is okay.  No, wait.  He's dead!

Playing a drinking game based on the amount of swerves in this film could be ... cost prohibitive.   

3.  The language.  I'm of the mind that Star Wars films are for 4 year olds - not 40 year olds.  I like Star Wars heroes my kids can emulate.  I do not want to hear my kid call someone a B----RD (like Finn).  Or say, hey dad, check out that big a-- door!  (Of course, it's not Star Wars without someone using the term "big a--" so I should probably strike it from the list.  "Wow, Qui-Gonn, this sure is one big a-- shiny ship!"  "My mom always says the problem with this big a-- universe is people aren't kind enough." "Master Yoda, I've discovered a big a-- amount of clones.  More than enough to make one big a-- army for the Republic."  "Luke, you need to come with me to Alderaan. I'm getting to old for these big a-- adventures." "You ask for the impossible!  How am I supposed to lift that big a-- ship."  "Oh, the shield generator is still very much operational.  Your friends are in for a big a-- world of hurt.  Yes, I have foreseen it, young Skywalker.)

4.  So I guess the core story of Star Wars isn't Luke's hero journey.  Nor is it the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.  Rather, it's, basically, silly Jedi.  The Force is for everybody. 

4b. What's left for the ST to pour cold water on?  Han and Leia's storybook romance doesn't end with happily ever after.  The peace won by the Rebels is short lived.  Good guy Luke is actually sometimes "confused about good" guy Luke and helped create bad guy Ren.  Good guy X-Wings are sold by the same guy that sells bad guy TIE fighters.  The Jedi are dumb heads. 

5. Hey, at least now we know why Hasbro's TLJ line doesn't feature any interesting looking aliens, robots, bounty hunters, space pirates, rebels, ...

6. What happened to the Knights of Ren?

7. So, Rey's dead beat parents dumped her off for cash than took off in a space ship ... to another part of Jakku. 

8.  So, Snoke is a powerful Force user old enough to have been alive during the Empire and probably the Clone Wars and we get to find out ... he likes yellow robes and red wall paper.  What's his motivation?  Why form the First Order?  How did he get his scars?  Why ask why?  He's got wonderful taste in bathrobes.  Do we really need to know more than that?  Sidious wanted to wipe out the Jedi because of an ancient rivalry between the Dark side and the Light side.  The Rebellion wants to defeat the Empire to bring freedom to the galaxy.  Snoke wants to do stuff because ...

9.  Rose was cool.  I liked her addition to the universe.  Of course, a new robot (other than BB-H8), a new space pirate, a new bounty hunter, a new anyone not human would have been nice, too.

10. I hoped Han's death would appear, I don't know, more meaningful after seeing this, but TLJ made me see his death more like it really was just a contractual obligation to get Ford to appear in TFA.

Well, it's late so I'll end with the closing credit font is nice.  What comes before it ...  not sure yet. 

If you liked the movie, great.  Don't let my initial cynicism spoil it for you.  For me the magic just wasn't there.  Maybe another viewing will change my mind, but, for now, I'm just not eager for more of TLJ's universe.  I think I see where they're going with the next one with perhaps a kind of Ratatouille "anyone can be a Jedi" theme, and  that can be cool, I guess.

But I do kind of miss the days of Star Wars just being a fairly straight forward rollicking space adventure that was fun for the whole family.

Just my tired two cents.  Time for bed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Recent

Links

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 168663
  • Total Topics: 14324
  • Online Today: 91
  • Online Ever: 406
  • (March 18, 2008, 03:52:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 56
Total: 58

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 39 queries.